The Student Room Group

Dealing with flatmates who use gas and electric to excess.

Im 17 and they are all 25 and mature students 2 of which lived together for 2 years (final year students other is 1st year)

My parents are on benefits and the only reason I could move out at all was my gran left me £250 when she died and I used that for deposit and things like money till grant came in and bedding clothes etc and rent was agreed by LL to be paid when grant arrived.

Had no end of issues, LL himself doesnt care as they are good tenants (even I say that within reason) as in they pay rent in semesters at a time as they are all from middle class homes, don't have parties and are tidy in fact I may as well start with a different issue.

They decided we have a cleaning rota every Sunday which wouldn't sound bad but every time I want to cook I have to clean unwashed plates, cutlery and pans to cook for myself then I wash them again once I am finished and part of their cleaning rota means "all dishes must be washed" and when I argued they said I was being lazy and I wasn't playing my part" It also means not only do I have to clean downstairs where I am (the only room downstairs) I have to hoover upstairs, and the bathroom which I rarely get to use as they have 3 or 4 showers a day each and its the old fashioned system where the water is powered by gas so if one person uses hot water theres none for others then they have the cheek to tell me I haven;t washed that day and smell (not in a nasty way at least it sounds more like talking down to a child)

I find that unfair as I never go upstairs so cleaning their mess under the idea they say everyone has to do equal amounts of work (which if I am cleaning every time I cook means its not equal anyway)

The main issue however is that because they are having 3 or 4 showers a day each (as in one in morning, one when back from uni, one if they go out to friends and one before bed) and having heating on high most of the time as they can afford it as from wealthy familes (one guys parents own their own caravan park and a seperate pub in town) they tell me I should pay my share despite my heating being off as I am sweating or turning the heaters down.

They also have a old surround sound sytem in the kitchen and even if cooking a small meal taking 10 minutes they forget to turn it off so 3 or 4 hours later its still on draining electric.

And they even put a old portable stereo in bathroom for when they have shower and do the same,

They wash their clothes every day or two and use tumble dryer as well despite us having a private back garden with high walls and washing line.

So its so much wasted electric yet the few months I spent by myself I was using £6 a week electric and gas combined.

Our bills have an allowance of £20 a week for gas and electric, the Jan bill was over by £70 meaning £17.50 top up each but I forgot to say at start my grant covers my rent and leaves me £10 a week for food, travel, clothes so thats a lot to pay oh and I also have to chip into the £30 a month broadband and phone.

the April bill is over by £270!!!

So thats £67.50 I have to top up and when I argued it I was again told "fair is fair" and the usual I was trying to get out of paying and claiming they never used that much.

The same people when last months phone bill was disputed claimed I made the disputed calls and they refused to pay as it wasn't their calls.

It may sound like they are just scum but it seems a genuine more ignorance and in a bubble.

After I hear a few responses I will mention the problems I have with their personalities lol.

Scroll to see replies

They sound like they are using your age to bully you (that's essentially what it is)..

What does your contract say? Does it mention said bills? You need to tell them your situation and have it out with them. I know it be difficult but it has to be done..

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi are you a student or are you working? Maybe they know you are less well off and are just trying to boast. Having three showers a day is just bizarre I only have one you have to be more firm with them and maybe refuse to pay the extra as it is unfair that you are essentially paying for them.
Reply 3
They are stereotypical metrosexual type guys, yes I am a student but don't work.

Two of them get their hair done at salons that cost about £60 a time (seen their receipts) they only eat premium meat like organic stuff

Also forgot to say one of the reasons I can think of is one is a ex chef so uses all 4 hobs to make stews and leaves them on the lowest setting from like 6pm at night to the next afternoon and even told me off when I wanted to cook something before.

I may as well mention the racism they have, we are all white but I am Scottish and they are English they have told me many times how Scottish people are less intelligent, have a worse education system, worse sports even saying Scottish people are racist towards the English.

And also forgot to mention the few times I have treated myself to like 4 cans of cheap lager (they last me a week thast my idea of a treat) I have found them stolen and they refuse to replace them.

They have even gone on weekend trips without inviting me.

One of the bad things was one of their female friends was flirting with me one night in club when we first met, one of them got jeaous and told her I didnt fancy her and so she went home, found out they started dating a while after (she was really into me)

And the few times we went out to the student bar or club and any females chatted me up they all tried butting in and flirting with the girl themselves, each time they were turned down they said to me "right we are going home now" in a huff, they cant get their head round how they as stereotypical metrosexuals cant get a woman and me this shy nerdy guy does.

The problem is the landlord backs them up as they are very well spoken "proper" people i.e middle class and I am poor thats not being weird thats how it is, when my LL found out my parents were on benefits he himself got nasty with me saying my parents were lazy scum despite before that being nothing but polite (but always snooty, he refused to take people going to the tech college i.e ones doing things like bricklaying or painting courses) thinking they werent good enough)
Better to move out :redface:
These people sound like barbarians, the rules of honesty don't quite apply here. You need to learn to play the game, not to worry, by the looks of your flatmates you're learning from the best.

Posh it up and learn to bs, play on jealousy and insecurities, everyone has a vulnerability of course, and if someone is exceptionally moral? That's a disadvantage.

Tough world guys.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
These people sound like barbarians, the rules of honesty don't quite apply here. You need to learn to play the game, not to worry, by the looks of your flatmates you're learning from the best.

Posh it up and learn to bs, play on jealousy and insecurities, everyone has a vulnerability of course, and if someone is exceptionally moral? That's a disadvantage.

Tough world guys.

You can only posh it up if you have the means too. The lad doesn't have the means to do that.

You need to move out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lambert87
You can only posh it up if you have the means too. The lad doesn't have the means to do that.

You need to move out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, get a Dickens novel and listen to posh people on youtube. Practice and repeat.
Why is this in the 'relationships' forum? What has gas and electric got to do with relationships?!
Original post by Grirly_girl95
Why is this in the 'relationships' forum? What has gas and electric got to do with relationships?!

Because he obviously wants to remain anonymous..
Original post by Lambert87
Because he obviously wants to remain anonymous..

Can't he post anon in another forum? Gas and electric bills are nothing to do with relationships!
You need to move out, get a job as well to help supplement your funds. Lambert was correct they are using your age, they dont need the money, they just enjoy this low level bullying and the more you squirm the more you amuse them.

Btw other than the heating/water then the other things won't use much electricity.Go and do a few shifts down McD's and save up some money, then you will get a bit of independence.
If your parents are poor surely you get the maximum loan/grant? how do you only have £10 a week to live on?

The cleaning rota is a non issue. You can't try and divide tasks by who does what and creates what mess or it will just be total chaos. You should do your share.

The heating thing causes loads of problems for a lot of people because while the heating is on you are 'benefiting' from it and it's easy to say you wouldn't use it when you might do in reality. And again, where do you draw the line? How much should you pay compared to them? It might be worth having a flat meeting and discussing the fact your bills are too high and seeing you can find a solution, whether that is you paying a lower share or everyone cutting back to reasonable levels (e.g. 1, occasionally 2 showers a day, sensible laundry, use the line when it's dry/warm, heating to a certain temperature, turning things off etc). I don't know whether you are contractually obliged to pay your share for bills or whether you could just refuse (and bear in mind refusing could make things very hard in the flat). Sadly, in things like this, when you're in the minority you're at a disadvantage because you will basically be outvoted on everything.
Original post by doodle_333
If your parents are poor surely you get the maximum loan/grant? how do you only have £10 a week to live on?

The cleaning rota is a non issue. You can't try and divide tasks by who does what and creates what mess or it will just be total chaos. You should do your share.

The heating thing causes loads of problems for a lot of people because while the heating is on you are 'benefiting' from it and it's easy to say you wouldn't use it when you might do in reality. And again, where do you draw the line? How much should you pay compared to them? It might be worth having a flat meeting and discussing the fact your bills are too high and seeing you can find a solution, whether that is you paying a lower share or everyone cutting back to reasonable levels (e.g. 1, occasionally 2 showers a day, sensible laundry, use the line when it's dry/warm, heating to a certain temperature, turning things off etc). I don't know whether you are contractually obliged to pay your share for bills or whether you could just refuse (and bear in mind refusing could make things very hard in the flat). Sadly, in things like this, when you're in the minority you're at a disadvantage because you will basically be outvoted on everything.

Its college not university hence I get £80 a week from college to live off paid monthly

Part of the problem with the showers is both they tell me off for not showering but as it takes an hour to fully heat water enough for a good soak each time I do so they use the water meaning theres only cold water left to which they tell me to "just get up earlier"

And no I don't use the heating nor benefit from it, I have it turned off in my room even in winter and the rare chance its on its at 1 out of 6 and for a hour or so, I have even opened my window many times as its too hot even just wearing a t shirt. just as I only do my washing once a week and even then if I am desperate I hand wash in cold water and put it on the line.

I already tried discussing with them the bills and they just claimed it was because I own a monitor with my laptop which is plugged into so I am using more than them.

Considering also they have much more cupboard and fridge space than me its unfair, if I put something on their shelf even if for a few minutes they knock on my door and tell me I am using their fridge space yet so often they use mine because I am "not using it" I have a single section in cupboard, one has 2 sections, another has a double sided 2 section one and one has a old fashioned one which is tall and just tell me its because they have been there longer.

As for the cleaning is it fair that I have to wash everything when I need to use it, then wash after use to then be told I have to do everyone elses dishwashing, now if it was just a few pots and plates now and again it wouldnt be an issue but when I have to do them twice to then do them again, even with that they argued that theres always available clean stuff and that they clean up after me.

So if I did just dump dirty stuff in sink they would say I was lazy, if I did do my own washing but not theirs they will say I am not doing my share either way I cant win.

I dont mind cleaning the kitchen itself or living room or hallway but not upstairs where they sleep since I never go up there so I havent used it.
Original post by Anonymous
Its college not university hence I get £80 a week from college to live off paid monthly

Part of the problem with the showers is both they tell me off for not showering but as it takes an hour to fully heat water enough for a good soak each time I do so they use the water meaning theres only cold water left to which they tell me to "just get up earlier"

And no I don't use the heating nor benefit from it, I have it turned off in my room even in winter and the rare chance its on its at 1 out of 6 and for a hour or so, I have even opened my window many times as its too hot even just wearing a t shirt. just as I only do my washing once a week and even then if I am desperate I hand wash in cold water and put it on the line.

I already tried discussing with them the bills and they just claimed it was because I own a monitor with my laptop which is plugged into so I am using more than them.

Considering also they have much more cupboard and fridge space than me its unfair, if I put something on their shelf even if for a few minutes they knock on my door and tell me I am using their fridge space yet so often they use mine because I am "not using it" I have a single section in cupboard, one has 2 sections, another has a double sided 2 section one and one has a old fashioned one which is tall and just tell me its because they have been there longer.

As for the cleaning is it fair that I have to wash everything when I need to use it, then wash after use to then be told I have to do everyone elses dishwashing, now if it was just a few pots and plates now and again it wouldnt be an issue but when I have to do them twice to then do them again, even with that they argued that theres always available clean stuff and that they clean up after me.

So if I did just dump dirty stuff in sink they would say I was lazy, if I did do my own washing but not theirs they will say I am not doing my share either way I cant win.

I dont mind cleaning the kitchen itself or living room or hallway but not upstairs where they sleep since I never go up there so I havent used it.

Dude if you cnat cope with it then move back home or find a new place to live. They arent going to pay you any attention because of your age.
Reply 15
Sad to say this is standard student accommodation angst. You either have to influence the situation, get even or get out. Try getting a girlfriend and driving them insane with noisy sexual shenanigans.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Grirly_girl95
Can't he post anon in another forum? Gas and electric bills are nothing to do with relationships!

Nope...

well, not being mean but moving out on £80 a week was a stupid move... you should think about moving home asap or find a job because no one can live on that

This is all just stuff that happens in shared properties. It's not nice but it is really normal and my 5 year experience of sharing has taught me that if you have these problems, you can try and have a flat meeting and resolve it in a friendly way or you can accept it and if the meeting doesn't work you have option 2. Like I said, it's possible through the contract you could refuse to pay but if you do they could make your life even worse.

The heating will still be affecting your room even if your own radiator is off and you use other rooms in the house so yes, you still benefit. I also find it hard to believe you never shower at all, if so I can see why they comment. They are correct that the additional screen will use a lot of power.

Again with the washing up, totally normal for both sets of flatmates to feel the other is at fault and they are always clean. No way to resolve it except for everyone only washing their own stuff all the time (which doesn't work on a cleaning rota).
Original post by doodle_333
well, not being mean but moving out on £80 a week was a stupid move... you should think about moving home asap or find a job because no one can live on that

This is all just stuff that happens in shared properties. It's not nice but it is really normal and my 5 year experience of sharing has taught me that if you have these problems, you can try and have a flat meeting and resolve it in a friendly way or you can accept it and if the meeting doesn't work you have option 2. Like I said, it's possible through the contract you could refuse to pay but if you do they could make your life even worse.

The heating will still be affecting your room even if your own radiator is off and you use other rooms in the house so yes, you still benefit. I also find it hard to believe you never shower at all, if so I can see why they comment. They are correct that the additional screen will use a lot of power.

Again with the washing up, totally normal for both sets of flatmates to feel the other is at fault and they are always clean. No way to resolve it except for everyone only washing their own stuff all the time (which doesn't work on a cleaning rota).

I stay on bottom floor and I dont use the other rooms in house at all bar the kitchen and I personally turn off the heating in kitchen and living room when I pass too.

I don't shower as often as I want because by time I get back from class its evening and I am tired so I just use warm water (if anys left) and wipe myself down, I change my underwear 3 times a day, change clothes 2-3 times a day so because of that I shower when I can which tends to be around 8pm at night so 2 or 3 times a week. I also managed to shower a few times at college because there is a small canteen in the halls there and so there is showers there but means I have to plan waking up early and taking towels and toiletries with me which means my bag space is limited and heavy.

A lot of power? if thats the case how can you explain that when I lived by myself I used £6 a week combined gas and electric? That when I was looking after a relatives flat for a few months it was £4 a week (as no heating on at all) And thats with me running tv and computer at same time where now I just run laptop. I have even sat counting the electric and worked out I use 10p a hour or less when I am alone and that was when I ran both computer and tv which makes sense as if I am using them 6 hours a day on average thats £4.20 a week then a little cash for showers and cooking.

One guy here uses as much as 4 hobs on highest settings for hours at a time and considering hobs are 2-3kwh each imagine the cost then they leave their computers on all night downloading and mine is turned off except when in use and my laptop monitor is disabled even my parents said when I left the bills only changed by £3 a week (and that is with me using tv and computer at same time and old fashioned tv) Hey I even spent a week on holiday by myself and spent £2 on electric and thats with higher rates.

I can live "well" on £10/£15 a week because I don't eat much its more I have no money for luxuries and the walk to college is by a beautiful river and golf course, I live off eggs, bread, milk, pasta, liver, porridge, cornflakes and some biscuits as treats, sure thats bland but doable and quick to make but I have lost weight since I was here im 10 stone now.

I used to whenever I went to kitchen to cook clean every last pot, plate and stuff there to clear the side even if I only needed 1 plate and pot, to come back to find them all dirty, their argument was less that it wasn't always full of dishes but claiming that I was wrong when I said I washed up after myself because only literally 3 occasions I cooked and put my stuff on plate, went through bedroom to eat and came back 5 minutes later to find that plate washed (and considering it was just pasta in anyway not stuff caked onto side) which takes seconds to clean yet I was scrubbing pots of theirs to cook that pasta which had coated on things like curries which I had to scour to get rid of.
I stay on bottom floor and I dont use the other rooms in house at all bar the kitchen and I personally turn off the heating in kitchen and living room when I pass too.

I don't shower as often as I want because by time I get back from class its evening and I am tired so I just use warm water (if anys left) and wipe myself down, I change my underwear 3 times a day, change clothes 2-3 times a day so because of that I shower when I can which tends to be around 8pm at night so 2 or 3 times a week. I also managed to shower a few times at college because there is a small canteen in the halls there and so there is showers there but means I have to plan waking up early and taking towels and toiletries with me which means my bag space is limited and heavy.

A lot of power? if thats the case how can you explain that when I lived by myself I used £6 a week combined gas and electric? That when I was looking after a relatives flat for a few months it was £4 a week (as no heating on at all) And thats with me running tv and computer at same time where now I just run laptop. I have even sat counting the electric and worked out I use 10p a hour or less when I am alone and that was when I ran both computer and tv which makes sense as if I am using them 6 hours a day on average thats £4.20 a week then a little cash for showers and cooking.

One guy here uses as much as 4 hobs on highest settings for hours at a time and considering hobs are 2-3kwh each imagine the cost then they leave their computers on all night downloading and mine is turned off except when in use and my laptop monitor is disabled even my parents said when I left the bills only changed by £3 a week (and that is with me using tv and computer at same time and old fashioned tv) Hey I even spent a week on holiday by myself and spent £2 on electric and thats with higher rates.

I can live "well" on £10/£15 a week because I don't eat much its more I have no money for luxuries and the walk to college is by a beautiful river and golf course, I live off eggs, bread, milk, pasta, liver, porridge, cornflakes and some biscuits as treats, sure thats bland but doable and quick to make but I have lost weight since I was here im 10 stone now.

I used to whenever I went to kitchen to cook clean every last pot, plate and stuff there to clear the side even if I only needed 1 plate and pot, to come back to find them all dirty, their argument was less that it wasn't always full of dishes but claiming that I was wrong when I said I washed up after myself because only literally 3 occasions I cooked and put my stuff on plate, went through bedroom to eat and came back 5 minutes later to find that plate washed (and considering it was just pasta in anyway not stuff caked onto side) which takes seconds to clean yet I was scrubbing pots of theirs to cook that pasta which had coated on things like curries which I had to scour to get rid of.

you can disagree with me all you like but it doesn't change the fact that there is no solution which you are going to be happy with here, you cannot force them to do anything and in my opinion you are taking some things too far (e.g. insisting you shouldn't clean upstairs) which is not going to do you any favours, I stand by everything I said in my last post

Quick Reply

Latest