The Student Room Group

Transition from BTEC to Degree?

Want to know whats the transition like for people who've done a btec to a uni degree? how do you guys find it?
I've done it and so far I've found it fine, although I'm dreading the exam side :/
Original post by elizabethlorna
I've done it and so far I've found it fine, although I'm dreading the exam side :/

Which btec did you do, and what degree are you doing ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm looking to do this aswell after finishing my health and social care level 3 predicted DDM. I am worried about getting into uni though as I do not know if level 3s are taken in to account as much as other relevant qualifications. I would like to study Mental Health Nursing. I failed most my GCSES - I have retook maths and English ( C and B )
Has anyone here been accepted onto a bsc degree programme after their level 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lucasjackson
I'm looking to do this aswell after finishing my health and social care level 3 predicted DDM. I am worried about getting into uni though as I do not know if level 3s are taken in to account as much as other relevant qualifications. I would like to study Mental Health Nursing. I failed most my GCSES - I have retook maths and English ( C and B )
Has anyone here been accepted onto a bsc degree programme after their level 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile

level 3 is what you actually need to get into university
Reply 5
Original post by mrnazz00923
Want to know whats the transition like for people who've done a btec to a uni degree? how do you guys find it?

I found the transition pretty easy tbh, I went from doing a computing based BTEC to a 4 year MSci Computer Science degree at a top 20 uni, of which I am in my second year of, the content that was covered on my BTEC was very similar to a lot of my degree modules and I have actually had a lot of occasions where I have reused my BTEC assignments because they were pretty much asking the same thing as some of my uni assignments, i think I have done this about 5 times and havent ever got less than a first in the written assignments

In terms of the exams, dont be too worried, the exam period itself is quite stress full but essentially it is just assessing the knowledge you shohld already provided you have attended most lectures, done the assignments throughout the year and a bit of revision.
Original post by yt7777
level 3 is what you actually need to get into university

No a levels are normally preferred but some unis take Btechs :frown:
Reply 7
No a levels are normally preferred but some unis take Btechs :frown:

95% of UK universities accept BTEC also A levels are Level 3 qualifications

You said you did Health and Social care? Someone last year got into Oxford to study Experimental Psychology with the HSC BTEC, I dont think you understand how many options you have with BTEC, although i didnt do the HSC BTEC (i did Computing) i got good offers and now study at a top 20 uni (who also accept the HSC BTEC for Mental Health) but me and people from my BTEC class got offers from excellent universities inc. Manchester, Southampton, Bath, Royal Holloway, Surrey, Cardiff, Kings College London and some more i cannot remember.

Surrey who are ranked 4th in the UK overall (Guardian) and 2nd in the UK for Nursing specifically accept DDM for Nursing (Mental Health)

Do some more research you may surprise yourself
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
95% of UK universities accept BTEC also A levels are Level 3 qualifications

You said you did Health and Social care? Someone last year got into Oxford to study Experimental Psychology with the HSC BTEC, I dont think you understand how many options you have with BTEC, although i didnt do the HSC BTEC (i did Computing) i got good offers and now study at a top 20 uni (who also accept the HSC BTEC for Mental Health) but me and people from my BTEC class got offers from excellent universities inc. Manchester, Southampton, Bath, Royal Holloway, Surrey, Cardiff, Kings College London and some more i cannot remember.

Surrey who are ranked 4th in the UK overall (Guardian) and 2nd in the UK for Nursing specifically accept DDM for Nursing (Mental Health)

Do some more research you may surprise yourself

Thanks a lot I have been researching but I just wasn't 100% sure if what they say about accepting btechs was true and if a level students would be chosen over btech students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks a lot I have been researching but I just wasn't 100% sure if what they say about accepting btechs was true and if a level students would be chosen over btech students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not hard, look at the entry requirements page, they will usually state standard offers for both A level and BTEC, both the qualifications are the same level and if you meet the required grades you wont have a problem getting into a top uni, as I said currently 95% of universities accept BTEC and especially for Nursing as it offers better preparation than A levels and i dont think there is any uni that doesnt accept the HSC BTEC for Nursing or similar

Quick Reply

Latest