The Student Room Group

Stockings + Suspender Belt or Hold Ups

So long story cut short is that in just under a month, my girlfriend's gonna be 18 and for her birthday I wanted to get her some underwear.

I have got her lingerie earlier on in our relationship and we have both said in the past that we would like to try stockings (of some kind).

Recently we have been looking into them a bit more and she says that in regards to stockings and suspender belts she is a little 'stressed out' by how they work and all (and I can't blame her to be honest).

However, I'd like to surprise her. Originally my idea was to get her a nice set of black underwear with suspender belt and stockings included to go with her only pair of heels (which are also black). Yet yesterday, I learnt that she doesn't feel comfortable wearing her heels (she has never work heels before so doesn't intend to either).

So my next idea is to possibly get a black set or something like that and maybe a pair of stockings with a suspender belt (so that it's all matching).

I was just wondering whether anybody had any experience with both stockings and suspenders and if so, what you would recommend for beginners because I would personally prefer to get her the stockings with suspender belt as I find it more seductive but equally I would never like my girlfriend to be uncomfortable, especially for such an intimate time whilst we're together so I would just like some of your thoughts please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just go to Ann Summers and ask the staff there! They'll get you exactly what you need and if you ask them too they will show you how to attach the stockings to the suspender belt. It's a pretty hard thing to do for beginners and there isn't much guidance online on how to attach them, but everyone's got to learn at some point.

I got a lovely set of matching underwear including suspender belt and stockings from there for about £55. That's about what you need to spend if you want something decent.
Original post by -Venus
Just go to Ann Summers and ask the staff there! They'll get you exactly what you need and if you ask them too they will show you how to attach the stockings to the suspender belt. It's a pretty hard thing to do for beginners and there isn't much guidance online on how to attach them, but everyone's got to learn at some point.

I got a lovely set of matching underwear including suspender belt and stockings from there for about £55. That's about what you need to spend if you want something decent.

I was expecting it to be something like that in price terms to be honest. Do you think I could just get a nice looking black belt with black stockings to go with some black underwear she has already?

We have an Ann Summers near to us however the issue is, is that my dad is self employed and works about 100 yards from the shop so I'd have to try and do it in the next nearest shop and we have been in together sometimes (however my girlfriend get's a bit tense about going in there)...I'm not 100% sure either how comfortable I am with going in there because although I know that the staff are really helpful, I can't help but also think that they can only see an 18 year old lad by himself and then it look a bit weird instead...
Original post by physics_geek97
So long story cut short is that in just under a month, my girlfriend's gonna be 18 and for her birthday I wanted to get her some underwear.

I have got her lingerie earlier on in our relationship and we have both said in the past that we would like to try stockings (of some kind).

Recently we have been looking into them a bit more and she says that in regards to stockings and suspender belts she is a little 'stressed out' by how they work and all (and I can't blame her to be honest).

However, I'd like to surprise her. Originally my idea was to get her a nice set of black underwear with suspender belt and stockings included to go with her only pair of heels (which are also black). Yet yesterday, I learnt that she doesn't feel comfortable wearing her heels (she has never work heels before so doesn't intend to either).

So my next idea is to possibly get a black set or something like that and maybe a pair of stockings with a suspender belt (so that it's all matching).

I was just wondering whether anybody had any experience with both stockings and suspenders and if so, what you would recommend for beginners because I would personally prefer to get her the stockings with suspender belt as I find it more seductive but equally I would never like my girlfriend to be uncomfortable, especially for such an intimate time whilst we're together so I would just like some of your thoughts please

i'm sure tesco will be useful
Reply 4
Ann summers isn't really the best place to be honest. Try la senza for nice non sleazy better made underwear. She will need a hand putting the suspenders on - I do and I'm in my 30's - they're super tricky :-)
Sock dreams is an excellent website for underwear of this type as is leg avenue
Original post by thefatone
i'm sure tesco will be useful

I never even thought of them!....Thank you!!
Original post by jmcwitch
Ann summers isn't really the best place to be honest. Try la senza for nice non sleazy better made underwear. She will need a hand putting the suspenders on - I do and I'm in my 30's - they're super tricky :-)
Sock dreams is an excellent website for underwear of this type as is leg avenue

Ooh, I'll be sure to give those a look at!

So would you recommend stockings with a suspender rather than hold ups then? :smile:
Reply 8
Ooh, I'll be sure to give those a look at!

So would you recommend stockings with a suspender rather than hold ups then? :smile:

They're pretty much the same thing - just slightly different names :-)

i got a lovely set from Love Honey.
its an online sex shop that delivers in discreet packaging (just a brown box with your address on)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?! - that makes things a lot easier....I thought one had to be connected and the other was free standing so they may be worn differently but if they're basically the same, I think its be easier to go for suspenders :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

We've got the odd thing off of lovehoney before (not lingerie) but I'm not too sure about getting things like this online because I'm never quite sure of sizings, do they have size guides etc? :smile:
Original post by jmcwitch
They're pretty much the same thing - just slightly different names :-)

Nope. Hold-ups have a circle of a slightly sticky substance (that sounds both ruder and more disgusting than it is) around the top so they stay up without suspenders. Whereas stockings do not and will quickly fall down without a suspender belt.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Nope. Hold-ups have a circle of a slightly sticky substance (that sounds both ruder and more disgusting than it is) around the top so they stay up without suspenders. Whereas stockings do not and will quickly fall down without a suspender belt.

So would suspender and belt be easier/more comfortable? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So would suspender and belt be easier/more comfortable? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It totally depends. Holds-ups aren't at all uncomfortable.
It totally depends. Holds-ups aren't at all uncomfortable.

So is there much difference whilst they're on other than the belt/sticky bits of the hold ups?

Really I guess I'm just asking whether people have a preference so I can make a judged decision on what to get my girlfriend :/
So is there much difference whilst they're on other than the belt/sticky bits of the hold ups?

Really I guess I'm just asking whether people have a preference so I can make a judged decision on what to get my girlfriend :/

I don't know what you're asking. That is the difference.

I'm not sure it matters what other people's preferences are. The only person's preference that matters is your girlfriend's. Trying to gauge her opinion would be a much better way of working out what she would want to wear.
I don't know what you're asking. That is the difference.

I'm not sure it matters what other people's preferences are. The only person's preference that matters is your girlfriend's. Trying to gauge her opinion would be a much better way of working out what she would want to wear.

Yeah that's cool....I just don't want to give too much away as a surprise :/ thanks for your help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best but pricey :frown: all I've been able to afford is an eye mask :moon:

OP - have a look at ASOS and even like M&S and Debenhams. They sell them and they're good quality :3
Original post by IFoundWonderland
The best but pricey :frown: all I've been able to afford is an eye mask :moon:

OP - have a look at ASOS and even like M&S and Debenhams. They sell them and they're good quality :3

I think it'd be better for like Debenhams and M&S also, as I can go and look at them then too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending