The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan repayment

Hello all quick question, if i do not continue my course into the second year at all which may happen but complete the first year do i have to pay back maintenance loan back now or after i earn a certain amount. Currently doing Comp science and and not liking it at all somehow hanging in, i just don't see myself continuing doing this course. It is just a maintenance loan No grant at all. Some say you have to payback loan and grant some say even if you drop out the maintenance loan is paid once you earn a certain amount, thanks.
Original post by Boontai
Hello all quick question, if i do not continue my course into the second year at all which may happen but complete the first year do i have to pay back maintenance loan back now or after i earn a certain amount. Currently doing Comp science and and not liking it at all somehow hanging in, i just don't see myself continuing doing this course. It is just a maintenance loan No grant at all. Some say you have to payback loan and grant some say even if you drop out the maintenance loan is paid once you earn a certain amount, thanks.

If you drop out at the end of the year then repayments are like a standard loan. In the April after you leave if you earn enough.

If you drop out part way through the year then SLC consider that you've been overpaid and demand instant repayment of the overpayment (with the rest being the same as a standard loan - April etc etc)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you drop out at the end of the year then repayments are like a standard loan. In the April after you leave if you earn enough.

If you drop out part way through the year then SLC consider that you've been overpaid and demand instant repayment of the overpayment (with the rest being the same as a standard loan - April etc etc)

What is the end of the year? Once you finish all examinations?
Original post by Boontai
What is the end of the year? Once you finish all examinations?

The academic year runs from August 1 to July 31.

Ideally you would drop out just before your university expects you back for second year. Notifying them during August should be ok though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending