The Student Room Group

Do you get all the information you need with PBL courses?

Hi,

I am currently choosing which unis to apply to for medicine (narrowing them down to select which open days to go on), and am considering applying to a PBL uni, despite researching it i have been concerned about whether you would get all the information you need, in a way that you would by doing a lecture-based course.

Any additional information about selecting medical schools would be very welcome :smile:. Thank you!
Original post by Jamess_
Hi,

I am currently choosing which unis to apply to for medicine (narrowing them down to select which open days to go on), and am considering applying to a PBL uni, despite researching it i have been concerned about whether you would get all the information you need, in a way that you would by doing a lecture-based course.

Any additional information about selecting medical schools would be very welcome :smile:. Thank you!

Yes you do. Whichever medical school you go to will provide you with all the content you need to guide your learning in order to qualify as a safe doctor. The rest however is up to you. In other words:

You could do a lecture based course and never turn up and never do any work and know very little.

Alternatively, you could do a PBL course and prepare obsessively for each tutorial, do lots of extra reading, and know lots.

Either way, the structure of the course only goes so far. It's not school anymore, so it's up to the student to put in the hours and learn the content.
With either there is more self-directed learning than at school. PBL will have less contact time and is deliberately less directed yes, but that need not translate to gaps in your knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending