The Student Room Group

We need more people like Katie Hopkins

Do I disagree with her on most things? Yes. Do her opinions often make me gasp? Yes.

However, she is an antidote to the crack down on "offensive" opinions which has happened in recent times with safe spaces, restrictive laws, trial by media, faux-outrage, people who have made taking offence a full-time job, etc.

Those who want to silence her have tried it all - abusing her, shunning her and even reporting her to the police, yet she continues. I disagree with pretty much everything she comes out with yet I do admire her for not cowering down and still saying what she wants to say.

Do you agree or disagree?

Scroll to see replies

sure we do
She's so ugly
I bet people who live near her don't leave their houses in fear of being judged.
She only says what at least one other person thinks. Some of her opinions are sad but in life we must have an opposition to make sure in our beliefs we cover all basis to come to the best judgments.
Also it's a reaction thing- why does anyone give her the satisfaction??
She is right about a lot of things tbh.
10/10, is our Katie
Reply 9
She provides variety, I'd rather live in a society with a few people like her than a society without anyone like her.
Original post by iEthan
sure we do

We do if freedom of speech has a chance of surviving.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iEthan
10/10, is our Katie

you crazy
Original post by Grand High Witch
We do if freedom of speech has a chance of surviving.

totally

Original post by darkvibes
you crazy

Just sarcastic :giggle:

However, she is an antidote to the crack down on "offensive" opinions which has happened in recent times with safe spaces, restrictive laws, trial by media, faux-outrage, people who have made taking offence a full-time job, etc.

I agree to an extent. But the view she raises and her tweets are outright rude and offensive. We cannot accept her views on the basis of freedom of speech. It gives an impression that anyone can say whatever they like and whilst she is on the line of offensive and racist, many would pass over to racist and feel obliged to say what they like.
Original post by darkvibes
I agree to an extent. But the view she raises and her tweets are outright rude and offensive. We cannot accept her views on the basis of freedom of speech. It gives an impression that anyone can say whatever they like and whilst she is on the line of offensive and racist, many would pass over to racist and feel obliged to say what they like.

What is "rude" and "offensive" is whatever someone interprets it to be. Some people could find things you say to be rude and offensive, as they could for things that I say. That's why there shouldn't be some bloc of self-appointed speech police, which we currently seem to have, who decide what is rude and offensive (and worthy of censorship) and what isn't.
We need more attention seeking morons spreading their stupidity to the easily impressionable masses?

Whatever you say.
She only says these things because she gets paid to do it/attention from it. If no one paid her any attention she'd shut up. I don't think that's admirable at all. She needs annihilating.
What is "rude" and "offensive" is whatever someone interprets it to be. Some people could find things you say to be rude and offensive, as they could for things that I say. That's why there shouldn't be some bloc of self-appointed speech police, which we currently seem to have, who decide what is rude and offensive (and worthy of censorship) and what isn't.

There isnt a block that exists. Katie Hopkins doesnt get blocked since what she says isnt really racist, just rude. Everyone really has the freedom to say what they like and they would only get backlash if it is racist or plainly offensive. Thing is, not many do and that is a choice made by someone.
Maybe not the best example. :redface:

Her controversial views have one purpose. To make money.

But we do need a broad spectrum of viewpoints. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
At first she may have been seen as outspoken and not afraid of political correctness which can be needed in certain situations but nowadays she's just another reality tv 'star' trying to shock people into keeping her in the limelight :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending