The Student Room Group

Would you ever choose a guy/girl over your family?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZuluK
Awww damn... :frown: Well, ill be your elder sis who you also can't stand :h: :colondollar:

:h: :five:
Family, although it would be a tricky decision if the girl was perfect.

I'm a cynic, though, and I'd say that my family has a lower probability of letting me down than a girl I'm 'in love' with.
Reply 42
Original post by Hydeman
:h: :five:

So have you found anyone worthy of being your wife? :biggrin:

Oh and you were meant to say "I can stand you Zulu..." :colonhash:
Original post by stefano865
'Blood is thicker than water'. :wink:

In full..

"The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb."

....so that proverb really means the total opposite of what people seem to think it does.

Do me and my partner have a covenant? We have made an allegiance I suppose.

But totally on-topic. Whomever made me choose would be the one I'd ditch. Probably slightly more likely to side with a partner though tbh depending on the context.
Original post by Hydeman
It's no thicker than ejaculatory fluids, though. What's your point? :tongue:

:tongue: haha

Blood is incredibly powerful.

Why do adopted children, who are lovingly raised by their 'parents', still often feel the urge to find their biological parents?

People break up all the time and get over it. Not many people would get over 'losing' an important family member(s).

Get me? :h:
Original post by ZuluK
So have you found anyone worthy of being your wife? :biggrin:

No, and I suspect that the relationship/marriage business will have to be put on hold for some years while I sort some things out. :3

Oh and you were meant to say "I can stand you Zulu..." :colonhash:

'I can stand you Zulu.' :tongue:

Why do adopted children, who are lovingly raised by their 'parents', still often feel the urge to find their biological parents?

That's more to do with a curiosity about one's history, I think. It's no different to somebody waking up from a long coma and wanting to find out what happened to so and so while they were out.

People break up all the time and get over it. Not many people would get over 'losing' an important family member(s).

True but, then, most people are emotionally attached to their immediate family for all their lives, as opposed to relationships, which usually don't begin at least until the age of 15.
(edited 7 years ago)
:tongue: haha

Blood is incredibly powerful.

Get me? :h:

Irrelevant, but I think that must be one of the most heart breaking things ever.

To raise someone's child as your own. Make them your own and treat them with no difference and give them everything, for them to abandon you for someone who left them for dead...
Original post by joey11223
In full..

"The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb."

....so that proverb really means the total opposite of what people seem to think it does.

Do me and my partner have a covenant? We have made an allegiance I suppose.

But totally on-topic. Whomever made me choose would be the one I'd ditch. Probably slightly more likely to side with a partner though tbh depending on the context.

Well, this saying was taken from the proverb and is reasonably well known in society. To most people it means exactly what I intended it to mean. :wink:

Your partner and you could in theory break up at any moment? Family is for life.
Well, this saying was taken from the proverb and is reasonably well known in society. To most people it means exactly what I intended it to mean. :wink:

Your partner and you could in theory break up at any moment? Family is for life.

Yeah I know lol, just mean the original meaning of it was not as modern day Western Nations understand it.

Yes but I put no special emphasis on family. Blood only means so much, many people are estranged from sections of their family for various reasons. I do not automatically hold some higher level of respect for relations. If my family were being unreasonable in their dislike of my partner, I would not decide to side with them because they're family, they would be told to respect my decision and my partner or I won't have time for them. Whether or not we break up later for other reasons is irrelevant.
Been in this situation before and I chose my partner over my mum. There was a lot of stuff going on and we had been together for years at that point, not just at the start of the relationship and me and my mum hadn't ever got on at that point in my life and I spent a lot of my childhood away from her but after 2 years of not talking to her at all, we made up a few years ago and we get on amazingly. You wouldn't think anything that had happened in the past when I was a kid or what she done to get in the way of me and my partner had happened and now I wouldn't ever want to lose her and we see each other and text her each other every day and yesterday I even gave her away at her wedding. My mum and partner get on brilliantly now too.

My partner's dad and him never had a good relationship either and he was given an ultimatum when we started going out - dump her or you get kicked out and he walked out and never went back but now years on, him and his dad are OK. Not best of friends but civil and text. His stepmum had a lot to do with that ultimatum. She even gave his dad an ultimatum - it was her or my partner. That's sad making a man choose between his wife and eldest kid.

So yeah, had a lot of parent drama in my relationship but thankfully we got through it and we all get on now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutellme
Irrelevant, but I think that must be one of the most heart breaking things ever.

To raise someone's child as your own. Make them your own and treat them with no difference and give them everything, for them to abandon you for someone who left them for dead...

I agree. Difficult if this happened to you.

But I don't think it is 'abandoning'. Children will love the people who raised them much more.

However, there is often still a deep-rooted urge to find the people who 'made' you. To meet your own 'flesh and blood'.

:wink:
Original post by joey11223
Yeah I know lol, just mean the original meaning of it was not as modern day Western Nations understand it.

Yes but I put no special emphasis on family. Blood only means so much, many people are estranged from sections of their family for various reasons. I do not automatically hold some higher level of respect for relations. If my family were being unreasonable in their dislike of my partner, I would not decide to side with them because they're family, they would be told to respect my decision and my partner or I won't have time for them. Whether or not we break up later for other reasons is irrelevant.

Agree.

Wouldn't let them mess me around simply because they are family.

But if things were equal I would still choose family over a partner.

If I had children with her it would be different. We would become family if you know what I mean.

:wink:
Reply 52
Original post by Hydeman
No, and I suspect that the relationship/marriage business will have to be put on hold for some years while I sort some things out. :3

'I can stand you Zulu.' :tongue:

Well, I hope you find someone... You're being wasted :biggrin:

Can I tag in ACupOfGreenTea? She will be annoyed that you said you can stand me :colondollar: :u:
Original post by ZuluK
Well, I hope you find someone... You're being wasted :biggrin:

Yeah, I hope too. :moon: Thanks. :smile:

Can I tag in ACupOfGreenTea? She will be annoyed that you said you can stand me :colondollar: :u:

Sure. :h:
Reply 54
Original post by Hydeman
Yeah, I hope too. :moon: Thanks. :smile:

Sure. :h:

Awww see you can be nice :rofl: though the way you roast Fatima cracked me up sooo much so thank you for that :biggrin: bless her.. She is so sweet.

Spoiler

Original post by ZuluK
Awww see you can be nice :rofl:

Was there ever any question? :pierre:

though the way you roast Fatima cracked me up sooo much so thank you for that :biggrin: bless her..

I try. :h:
Yes.
Original post by ZuluK

Spoiler

Come back to me when you get a "I like you a normal amount." :hand:

There is no "too." For the time being, Hydeman has declared a repping ban on me for a month. :sad: The status of this ban is in negotiations.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I can't think of any situation in which my immediate family would allow me to get myself into such a situation - I genuinely think they would always support me and always want to be a part of my life, whoever I chose as a romantic partner. I find the scenario unimaginable, as they would never say, "It's her or us". I suppose that equates to saying that I'd choose my family - if my partner wanted me to abandon my family and just be with her, I wouldn't.
Reply 59
Original post by acupofgreentea
Come back to me when you get a "I like you a normal amount." :hand:

There is no "too." For the time being, Hydeman has declared a repping ban on me for a month. :sad: The status of this ban is in negotiations.

Spoiler

"Normal amount" compared to "stand me"

:biggrin: meaning he can stand to be in the same room as me and be content :wink:

:colone: He reps me everyday whenever he gets the chance and I don't have to beg him for it.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest