The Student Room Group

Do violent video games lead to aggression and violence?

This poll is closed

Do violent video games lead to aggression and violence?

Yes 3%
No97%
Total votes: 59
Do you think violent video games can lead to aggressive and violent behaviours and explain crimes in society today?

I want to get opinions for some research I am doing for uni, thanks :smile:

(btw I am fully aware of the research out there, this isn't my view I just need the opinion of the general/youth population on this matter for my work)

^^ Please vote (I need the stats) ^^
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It depends. I am a 16 year old and I've been playing games like TF2, Red Orchestra 2 (quite bloody) and quite a few other shooters. I am not a violent person and I hate the idea of murdering somebody, so I'd say that games haven't made me a violent person. However when parents allow their young children to play violent games, problems can occur. Typically children are quite easily influenced and viewing violent content could make violence seem acceptable to that child. Therefore it's the parents responsibility to control their child's exposure to violent games.
Reply 2
Original post by AxSirlotl
It depends. I am a 16 year old and I've been playing games like TF2, Red Orchestra 2 (quite bloody) and quite a few other shooters. I am not a violent person and I hate the idea of murdering somebody, so I'd say that games haven't made me a violent person. However when parents allow their young children to play violent games, problems can occur. Typically children are quite easily influenced and viewing violent content could make violence seem acceptable to that child. Therefore it's the parents responsibility to control their child's exposure to violent games.

Thanks for that, I hadn't considered the role age may play.
It depends on the person and the environment they're in. As user above said, children are more likely to be influenced as are people with learning difficulties and developmental issues. It would also depends on an individual's moral compass and how they've been raised. Most of us know that it is not acceptable to behave violently, but if someone is raised in a violent household where it is seemed to be the norm then they may be more susceptible to negative influences in video games.

BUT, games are becoming more violent as the World does, if you look at games before 9/11 they weren't that bad. Then people realised we live in a crappy world and games became a lot more violent (I studied post-9/11 effects on the media for A-Level Media Studies). In addition, the increasing violence desensitizes us and games are required to continually become more violent, so I guess if an individual was desensitized enough then they could become violent.

Studied Psychology with an Aggression topic as well as a Media topic which looked at video games :smile:
Reply 4
Did this for my dissertation but aimed at adolescents. I would say no as violent behaviour could be down to genetics or from their environment (the way they were brought up) people should already know what's right and wrong when playing these games i played violent games at 10 like Gta and never had an urge to murder or run over someone.
I feel games is the best way to relax and escape from reality but I do feel there should be a stricter way of preventing young adolescents playing 18 rated games.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Nmys
Do you think violent video games can lead to aggressive and violent behaviours and explain crimes in society today?

I want to get opinions for some research I am doing for uni, thanks :smile:

Yes and no. I would give you some examples but I'm too lazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. And that's a fact.
This does not apply to everyone, while most people are influenced, some are not.
Depends on what you mean. Short term anger, certainly, I mean we've all been mad at a video game right. If you're arguing the case that violent video games are enough for me to consider shooting up a school, like some media companies try to state, then no, absolutely not. There has to be some kind of underlying cause for someone to consider, let alone act on that, perhaps a mental illness, rough experience during childhood etc.
Whether they cause you to be generally more aggressive/violent though, I also don't think so. I believe there has to be some other external influence to make you act like that as well :smile:
Moderation and parental involvement are key to a healthy gaming environment for vulnerable kids. That said it's certainly conceivable to groom an idiot around CoD and GTA to adopt a violent / aggressive lifestyle.
Reply 11
My 6-year-old brother has been playing Mario games since he was 4, and has developed a far more aggressive attitude when playing with toys or with friends. Now, Super Mario Bros. isn't exactly a "violent" game—but all there needs to be is a concept of fighting and killing an enemy for aggression to develop. Even children's movies feature that sort of thing, so it's difficult to say if my brother would retain the same attitude if he had not began playing video games.

So in short, the answer is no. Violent video games are not the cause, and the presence of weapons in games with higher PEGI ratings bear no effect, as aggression is usually learnt by the time children are exposed to them.
Reply 12
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Depends on what you mean. Short term anger, certainly, I mean we've all been mad at a video game right. If you're arguing the case that violent video games are enough for me to consider shooting up a school, like some media companies try to state, then no, absolutely not. There has to be some kind of underlying cause for someone to consider, let alone act on that, perhaps a mental illness, rough experience during childhood etc.

I'm not trying to argue any case, I just want opinions from people that actually play games or are more "in the know" about games, because most of the views that violent video games do lead to violence come from older politicians or adults that may have minimal exposure to them and thus just attribute behaviour to them. It may even be the case that as they did not grow up around such games it seems like it could cause them aggression, when this effect doesn't happen on younger people... but who knows. Thanks for the comments :smile: (and please vote if you didn't, I need the stats ahaha)
Reply 13
Original post by chikane
Did this for my dissertation but aimed at adolescents. I would say no as violent behaviour could be down to genetics or from their environment (the way they were brought up) people should already know what's right and wrong when playing these games i played violent games at 10 like Gta and never had an urge to murder or run over someone.
I feel games is the best way to relax and escape from reality but I do feel there should be a stricter way of preventing young adolescents playing 18 rated games.

Thanks for the comment :smile:

What about the view that playing from a young age may lead to an increase in aggressive traits in a person, thus making them more aggressive?
it depends on the persons mental state. also if the person is in the middle of a hard mission and some numty pulls out the oplug / hovers right infront of your screen whilst playing
No.
You know what can fuel aggression and violence? An abusive childhood, social isolation, bullying, low self esteem, and/or abuse.
If a child is very aggressive, it way more deeper than he or she plays "violent" video games.
Reply 16
No and studies prove this.
Original post by Nmys
I'm not trying to argue any case, I just want opinions from people that actually play games or are more "in the know" about games, because most of the views that violent video games do lead to violence come from older politicians or adults that may have minimal exposure to them and thus just attribute behaviour to them. It may even be the case that as they did not grow up around such games it seems like it could cause them aggression, when this effect doesn't happen on younger people... but who knows. Thanks for the comments :smile: (and please vote if you didn't, I need the stats ahaha)

In my experience with video games, no.
Me and my older sister used to play video games on a PSP with punching, and kicking. The characters had back stories and I even think there was a demon character. Think the characters bled all over the place too. I used to play games when I was younger that involved shooting people with guns and robbing cars, it was very GTA like. My sister used to own a PSP and she had friends over watch her play GTA 2 where she robbed cars, attacked people, and even did a driveby shooting. I think I came out alright.
Reply 18
Original post by SmileyVibe
No.
You know what can fuel aggression and violence? An abusive childhood, social isolation, bullying, low self esteem, and/or abuse.
If a child is very aggressive, it way more deeper than he or she plays "violent" video games.

Of course it is, but there is also a relationship between violent games and aggression - I am not saying it is causal and neither does the evidence, I'm just trying to explore the link, whether it is that aggressive individuals (aggression via personality, environment etc) preferentially choose violent games which explains the link.
Reply 19
Original post by SmileyVibe
In my experience with video games, no.
Me and my older sister used to play video games on a PSP with punching, and kicking. The characters had back stories and I even think there was a demon character. Think the characters bled all over the place too. I used to play games when I was younger that involved shooting people with guns and robbing cars, it was very GTA like. My sister used to own a PSP and she had friends over watch her play GTA 2 where she robbed cars, attacked people, and even did a driveby shooting. I think I came out alright.

Yeah I love GTA and I avoid physical violence, so yeah the link between violent games and aggression that the media so loves to talk about is misinformed in my opinion too.

Quick Reply

Latest