The Student Room Group

Would you ever choose a guy/girl over your family?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
Well, if they force you to choose between them and your partner, they're not really on your side, are they?

This basically.

Reason I like my immediate family is that I doubt they would ever do crap like that.
Original post by acupofgreentea
we were in a rivalry for Hydeman's affections. :rofl:

Original post by ZuluK
Hydeman is mine :u:.

Ladies, ladies, please. There's plenty of Hydey for everyone. :smug:
Would you ever trust a stranger over the people who are the reason your alive in the first place and wouldnt break your trust? No exactly. So reevaluate. Remember anyone can bitch behind your back, including your boyfriend but your parents would bitch to you and talk nicely to other people about you. Now think whose the realist your man or your fam. Oh and ur partners obv not serious if their making u choose.. Because your parents are always gonna be a part of ur life and when things go bad( coz they will) ur parents will still be there not the "partner" whos just temporary. Be wise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZuluK
"Normal amount" compared to "stand me"

:biggrin: meaning he can stand to be in the same room as me and be content :wink:

"Stand" would infer "tolerate." As in, he can tolerate your presence in a room.

"Like" is a positive emotion. As in, he would not only tolerate my presence in a room, but enjoy it.

Nice try. :hand:

:colone: He reps me everyday whenever he gets the chance and I don't have to beg him for it.

Hydeman was one of my regular contributors. I didn't need to beg for it previously. :sad:

And then I made one joke and here we are. :sigh:

Spoiler

You have one, I have one, so therefore ... you get another one? This logic doesn't follow, Zulu. :noway:

Original post by Hydeman
Ladies, ladies, please. There's plenty of Hydey for everyone. :smug:

If Zulu hadn't rejected my advances, the rest of you would be surplus to requirements. Alas, here we are. :sad:

Spoiler

Spoiler

If Zulu hadn't rejected my advances, the rest of you would be surplus to requirements.

You sure know how to make a guy feel special. :rofl:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by ghost88
Depends on the context. If my parents didn't want me to have a relationship with a girl because skin colour/ religion/other irrational things, I'd choose the partner, but still attempt to keep relations with my family.

If it was the partner who was being irrational I'd choose my family.
This, pretty much.
Reply 66
I'm probably never going to have a romantic partner. Would I ever choose a friend over my family? By friend, I mean more than just a friend. I mean someone that I love and depend on emotionally and am intimate with on a spiritual level.

The same level of emotional intimacy that you have between two romantic partners, but without the romance or sex.

Possibly.
I would choose family because they are more important to a kid's life! :biggrin: :colonhash:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Let's say if you were faced with an ultimatum and had to choose between losing your family or losing your partner, who would you choose?

I would choose anyone with good music taste over anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
"Stand" would infer "tolerate." As in, he can tolerate your presence in a room.

"Like" is a positive emotion. As in, he would not only tolerate my presence in a room, but enjoy it.

Nice try. :hand:

Hydeman was one of my regular contributors. I didn't need to beg for it previously. :sad:

And then I made one joke and here we are. :sigh:

You have one, I have one, so therefore ... you get another one? This logic doesn't follow, Zulu. :noway:

If Zulu hadn't rejected my advances, the rest of you would be surplus to requirements. Alas, here we are. :sad:

Spoiler

Spoiler

He can tolerate my presence AND he can last more than 10 mins. He likes you a normal amount yet that means nothing online. :u: As I'm pretty sure he "likes" many members such as myself. But he wouldn't be able to stand you in a room.

Haha one joke. You don't joke with 10-gemmers :wink: I learnt the hard way :frown:

I only rejected you due to the reason that Zarga has better hair and Tyrone is black. What shampoo do you use? And would you consider doing a Michael Jackson is reverse? :colondollar:

@Hydeman nope! Choose one :tongue:... Or forever hold your peace with who you get...
I think it really depends on the situation. I do hope my parents are understanding enough to allow me to choose whoever I want to be with even if they don't agree with it at the beginning because they love me enough but it'll be hard to turn back on family. It depends on how serious the relationship is and whether that person is enough for me to leave my family.
Original post by Hydeman

Come back to me when my ban is lifted. :hand:

Spoiler

This is not news to me. :colonhash:

Original post by ZuluK
He can tolerate my presence AND he can last more than 10 mins. He likes you a normal amount yet that means nothing online. :u: As I'm pretty sure he "likes" many members such as myself. But he wouldn't be able to stand you in a room.

If he liked you, he would have said that. But no, he said "stand." As in, can tolerate. As in, can be in a room without experiencing homicidal thoughts, but there are others who would be preferable (me).:u:

Haha one joke. You don't joke with 10-gemmers :wink: I learnt the hard way :frown:

I make jokes at Zarga and Ethereal's expense all the time. :frown:

Hydeman needs to grow a thicker skin. :hand:

I only rejected you due to the reason that Zarga has better hair and Tyrone is black. What shampoo do you use? And would you consider doing a Michael Jackson is reverse? :colondollar:

Herbal Essences. :u: And Zulu, why must you try to change me? :sad: Why can you accept me for who I am, your fetishes nonwithstanding? :hand:

@Hydeman nope! Choose one :tongue:... Or forever hold your peace with who you get...

If it's you, it definitely won't be peace he's getting. :rolleyes:

I'm of twenty-eight percent certainty he'd choose me. :u:

Spoiler

It would depend. If it was serious enough, my partner would be like my family and I doubt there'd be any situation where my parents would try and come between me and him.
Partner is the family you choose.
Original post by Hydeman

Spoiler

You mean you're very unprincipled.* :wink:
Purely based off of the relationship I have with my family, I'd chose them. But at the same time I know that not everyone has a great relationship with their family, so it's not wrong at all for someone to say they'd chose their partner. I don't go by that saying "blood is thicker than water" because sometimes your family can be the people to completely destroy your life, whereas people who aren't related to you (friends/partner) can build you up.
Definitely family. They're permanent and have been there since day 1. Obviously this person isn't a very good partner if you have to choose between them and your family. A partner should be someone who ends up BECOMING family. Not some jealous prick. Go find a new partner who likes your family and doesnt make you choose between them coz that's just childish and selfish.
What if you marry your cousin lol
Original post by peanutbuttercup
What if you marry your cousin lol

Or your brother/sister
Come back to me when my ban is lifted. :hand:

Making me feel special is rather necessary for your ban to be lifted. :pierre:

This is not news to me. :colonhash:

:h:

I make jokes at Zarga and Ethereal's expense all the time. :frown:

Hydeman needs to grow a thicker skin. :hand:

My skin is thicker than rhino hide already, thanks. :hand: Funny thing is, I don't even remember the joke now, but I still insist on keeping up the rep boycott. :holmes:

It's Hydeman, who the hell knows what he'd choose? :sad: He'd probably abandon both of us for a religious debate thread in a heartbeat.

You know me so well. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest