The Student Room Group

We need more people like Katie Hopkins

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Grand High Witch
Do I disagree with her on most things? Yes. Do her opinions often make me gasp? Yes.

However, she is an antidote to the crack down on "offensive" opinions which has happened in recent times with safe spaces, restrictive laws, trial by media, faux-outrage, people who have made taking offence a full-time job, etc.

Those who want to silence her have tried it all - abusing her, shunning her and even reporting her to the police, yet she continues. I disagree with pretty much everything she comes out with yet I do admire her for not cowering down and still saying what she wants to say.

Do you agree or disagree?

She will be right in the end and you will all regret not having listened to her.
Original post by darkvibes
I agree to an extent. But the view she raises and her tweets are outright rude and offensive. We cannot accept her views on the basis of freedom of speech. It gives an impression that anyone can say whatever they like and whilst she is on the line of offensive and racist, many would pass over to racist and feel obliged to say what they like.

Even racist people should be able to express racist views without fear of the law. I don't agree with racism at all, but I'd rather live in a society where I have the knowledge that I can say whatever I want
She's a real *female dog*, and unfortunately she says such ridiculous things that she has become someone for the professionally offended to use as an example for why we need stronger hate speech laws, and it's difficult for people to argue against them, for fear of being accused of defending her.

I support her right to say the garbage she does though.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Even racist people should be able to express racist views without fear of the law. I don't agree with racism at all, but I'd rather live in a society where I have the knowledge that I can say whatever I want

Well idk about fear of the law. The law should make it clear that racism is wrong and set an example. Letting them express their views undermines the fact that racism is wrong in the 21st century and the fact that no race is superior to another. People may stereotype and discriminate against others.

What may initially be seen as a relaxation of laws and a liberal move may achieve the opposite of what a rational liberal would want.
Reply 24
I agree to an extent. But the view she raises and her tweets are outright rude and offensive. We cannot accept her views on the basis of freedom of speech. It gives an impression that anyone can say whatever they like and whilst she is on the line of offensive and racist, many would pass over to racist and feel obliged to say what they like.

Free speech is about being able to say whatever you want
Well idk about fear of the law. The law should make it clear that racism is wrong and set an example. Letting them express their views undermines the fact that racism is wrong in the 21st century and the fact that no race is superior to another. People may stereotype and discriminate against others.

What may initially be seen as a relaxation of laws and a liberal move may achieve the opposite of what a rational liberal would want.

Do you think that the law should also make it clear that homophobia "is wrong and set an example"? This would pretty much mean that the Bible would be banned due to its homophobic passages in the Old Testament.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
Free speech is about being able to say whatever you want

There's a difference between free speech and hate speech. Racist propaganda comes under the latter.

Do you think that the law should also make it clear that homophobia "is wrong and set an example"? This would pretty much mean that the Bible would be banned due to its homophobic passages in the Old Testament.

well no that would be illogical. Things like the Bible would obviously be an exception. If you act on that, it comes under the discrimination act.
She's a dickhead.
Do I disagree with her on most things? Yes. Do her opinions often make me gasp? Yes.

However, she is an antidote to the crack down on "offensive" opinions which has happened in recent times with safe spaces, restrictive laws, trial by media, faux-outrage, people who have made taking offence a full-time job, etc.

Those who want to silence her have tried it all - abusing her, shunning her and even reporting her to the police, yet she continues. I disagree with pretty much everything she comes out with yet I do admire her for not cowering down and still saying what she wants to say.

Do you agree or disagree?

Nope its not about free speech, she is paid or seeks out payment to be as controversial as possible , shes quite ignorant and toxic.

I personally don't think it should be the law's place to say that racism is wrong because people dislike racism in the modern day because it hurts their feelings, and feelings shouldn't be considered in the law. Even if we do let racists express their views, the vast majority of people oppose them anyway and know that no race is superior. Their minds won't change just because the law is relaxed
I think she is pretty great. Refreshing views, brave and doesnt cower to pc or fascists.

Of course dont agree with her on everything but its nice to be able to have that choice
Reply 31
Everyone is entitled to both free speech here in England and their own personal thoughts. Here are mine about her:
1. She is a very clever, intelligent, 'media-savvy', self promoting and (I believe, impo) a person who will continue to enjoy making money over and above the negative reactive emotions and tears of others that she creates.
2. Her heart and soul is far from full with kindness.
Just my thoughts😎

well no that would be illogical. Things like the Bible would obviously be an exception. If you act on that, it comes under the discrimination act.

It comes under your logic. Do you think racist speech and homophobic speech should equally be illegal or not? If so, then the Bible would be forbidden for homophobic speech as would racist texts.

What is the discrimination act?

lmao good lord
Original post by Alice__90
She only says these things because she gets paid to do it/attention from it. If no one paid her any attention she'd shut up. I don't think that's admirable at all. She needs annihilating.

I mean we clearly need her with so many facists in our midst
Original post by 999tigger
Nope its not about free speech, she is paid or seeks out payment to be as controversial as possible , shes quite ignorant and toxic.

It doesn't matter if she's paid for her controversial views or not - the fact is that she continues to express them despite attempts at censorship.
Reply 36
There's a difference between free speech and hate speech. Racist propaganda comes under the latter.

I disagree there is only the possibility of having free speech or not having free speech.

if you mean inciting racial hatred that is different
Original post by Betelgeuse-
lmao good lord

lol what
Original post by joecphillips
I disagree there is only the possibility of having free speech or not having free speech.

if you mean inciting racial hatred that is different

yeah thats what im saying. You can talk about race, but no hate i.e. hate speech
It doesn't matter if she's paid for her controversial views or not - the fact is that she continues to express them despite attempts at censorship.

except I tend to have more belief in people who are genuine and say what they believe rather than whats controversial and they cna get people to pay them for. If you like false people like that then fill your boots.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending