The Student Room Group

Ocr sociology past papers

does anyone know where i can find past exam papers for ocr sociology let me know asap!!!

Thannks :smile:
Can be found on their website.
Original post by undercxver
Can be found on their website.

do you know any god resources for unit 1 revision? Sorry for the inconvenience just had to ask cuz i'm sturggling to revise.
Original post by shohaib712
do you know any god resources for unit 1 revision? Sorry for the inconvenience just had to ask cuz i'm sturggling to revise.

I'm assuming you're talking about G671.8 Mark
You gain four marks for your definition and four marks for your examples. Make sure that you define the key term and use as many other key words as you can to show that you understand the term. Make sure that you also include at least two examples, as with just one example you cannot gain the full four marks for examples.

16 Mark
It should take the form of two clear paragraphs, with each paragraph containing one point. You are being asked to explain two points, so make sure you do two - don't do one or three.

Twelve marks are given for your knowledge and understanding in this question, and you will need to include studies, concepts, theories or examples in each paragraph. You will get four marks for your answer being relevant and applied to the question; quite simply you need to ensure that your are answering the question.

24 Mark
This is the mini-essay. You will need an introduction, three/four points and a conclusion. If you are doing three points, make sure they are well explained. In this question, the use of studies and/or theory is pretty much a necessity to get a high mark.

Twelve marks are given for your knowledge and understanding in this question, and you will need to include studies, concepts, theories or examples for each of yours points. Eight marks are given for your answer being relevant and applied to the question, and four marks are given for your evaluation and analysis of the overall argument.

52 Mark
There are various ways to structure the 52 mark question, but here's one way to go about it.

First of all, you want to introduce your argument. That means that you will want to define the key concepts (so if the question is on ethnography, explain what an ethnography is in the pre-release). Your introduction can be brief, so don't spend too much time on it.

You want to cover four areas in your essay: reliability, validity, generalisability and representativeness. Within each of those areas, you will want to talk about the sample, method and data in the pre-release, and relate it back. So for example if you are talking about the reliability of a question talking about ethnography, you will start with a sentence that introduces reliability (the ability of being able to repeat the research and gain the same/similar results) and then apply that to the method - why the ethnographic method is or isn't reliable. Then you will want to (more briefly) apply reliability to the sample and data.

Need any more help? :h:
I'm assuming you're talking about G671.8 Mark
You gain four marks for your definition and four marks for your examples. Make sure that you define the key term and use as many other key words as you can to show that you understand the term. Make sure that you also include at least two examples, as with just one example you cannot gain the full four marks for examples.

16 Mark
It should take the form of two clear paragraphs, with each paragraph containing one point. You are being asked to explain two points, so make sure you do two - don't do one or three.

Twelve marks are given for your knowledge and understanding in this question, and you will need to include studies, concepts, theories or examples in each paragraph. You will get four marks for your answer being relevant and applied to the question; quite simply you need to ensure that your are answering the question.

24 Mark
This is the mini-essay. You will need an introduction, three/four points and a conclusion. If you are doing three points, make sure they are well explained. In this question, the use of studies and/or theory is pretty much a necessity to get a high mark.

Twelve marks are given for your knowledge and understanding in this question, and you will need to include studies, concepts, theories or examples for each of yours points. Eight marks are given for your answer being relevant and applied to the question, and four marks are given for your evaluation and analysis of the overall argument.

52 Mark
There are various ways to structure the 52 mark question, but here's one way to go about it.

First of all, you want to introduce your argument. That means that you will want to define the key concepts (so if the question is on ethnography, explain what an ethnography is in the pre-release). Your introduction can be brief, so don't spend too much time on it.

You want to cover four areas in your essay: reliability, validity, generalisability and representativeness. Within each of those areas, you will want to talk about the sample, method and data in the pre-release, and relate it back. So for example if you are talking about the reliability of a question talking about ethnography, you will start with a sentence that introduces reliability (the ability of being able to repeat the research and gain the same/similar results) and then apply that to the method - why the ethnographic method is or isn't reliable. Then you will want to (more briefly) apply reliability to the sample and data.

Need any more help? :h:

Omg thank you so much! :biggrin:
This is probably going to get you angry for spending your time writing up the reply but I was asking about unit 1 ocr Gcse's (im really sorry) :frown:
Omg thank you so much! :biggrin:
This is probably going to get you angry for spending your time writing up the reply but I was asking about unit 1 ocr Gcse's (im really sorry) :frown:

:rofl: That's okay!

What's the name of your exam? I know it's unit 1 but here must be a name for your exam.
:rofl: That's okay!

What's the name of your exam? I know it's unit 1 but here must be a name for your exam.

Its pretty much about research methods and its called sociological basics (b671):
(here is a past paper)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/245405-question-paper-unit-b671-01-sociology-basics.pdf
Its pretty much about research methods and its called sociological basics (b671):
(here is a past paper)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/245405-question-paper-unit-b671-01-sociology-basics.pdf

Cool okay. :h:

•

Another revision sheet, much easier to understand

•

tutor2u

•

Go through the syllabus, tick off to see what you know

Spoiler

Cool okay. :h:

•

Another revision sheet, much easier to understand

•

tutor2u

•

Go through the syllabus, tick off to see what you know

Spoiler

I can't thank you enough for the help! Really apreciate it.
Oh and tutor2u doesn't work?
Would you recommend that i memorise the pre release material?
And how would you set out an answer to the first 12 marker on the past paper?
(sorry for bothering/annoying you)
I can't thank you enough for the help! Really apreciate it.
Oh and tutor2u doesn't work?
Would you recommend that i memorise the pre release material?
And how would you set out an answer to the first 12 marker on the past paper?
(sorry for bothering/annoying you)

Whoops, try out this link for tutor2u.

Found another website with good revision resources.

YouTube videos are really effective, watch when you're eating dinner or something. :tongue:

No way! Don't memorise the pre-release, I really don't understand why people do that! Just analyse it in depth and obviously to do that you would need to annotate the pre-release. If you feel like you're really struggling to remember ways to analyse it, then I recommend you read through your annotations of the pre-release every night before you sleep. Have you looked at the pre-release in class yet?

To be honest I have no idea how the GCSE exam questions work. I suggest you watch this video, it's for the 2013 exam but it will be a similar structure.

Don't worry about asking questions, I'm not annoyed. I'm here to help. :h:
Whoops, try out this link for tutor2u.

Found another website with good revision resources.

YouTube videos are really effective, watch when you're eating dinner or something. :tongue:

No way! Don't memorise the pre-release, I really don't understand why people do that! Just analyse it in depth and obviously to do that you would need to annotate the pre-release. If you feel like you're really struggling to remember ways to analyse it, then I recommend you read through your annotations of the pre-release every night before you sleep. Have you looked at the pre-release in class yet?

To be honest I have no idea how the GCSE exam questions work. I suggest you watch this video, it's for the 2013 exam but it will be a similar structure.

Don't worry about asking questions, I'm not annoyed. I'm here to help. :h:

thanks!!!!!!!
Yeah we anotated it in class. I will try out your way - and i'll test myself by printing a prininting an un-anotated pre-release and using it to do some predicted questions - so i can get used to using it + learn the exam technique.

LAST QUESTION - Should i use a 300 page textbook to help with the revison as well?
Even though half of the info in it is useless?
thanks!!!!!!!
Yeah we anotated it in class. I will try out your way - and i'll test myself by printing a prininting an un-anotated pre-release and using it to do some predicted questions - so i can get used to using it + learn the exam technique.

LAST QUESTION - Should i use a 300 page textbook to help with the revison as well?
Even though half of the info in it is useless?

Even though you annotate it in class I think you should annotate it more at home. If people in your class will be remembering the same points as you, they will most likely be discussing the same thing as you in the exam - hence the examiner get's bored. So you try your best to look at it in much more detail than you have in class. If you have any questions on your pre-release then feel free to ask me! (Just make sure you type up that bit of what the pre-release says because I don't have it :tongue:)

Yepp, that technique of printing another pre-release is a good idea. If you want use acronyms to help you.

Depends what text book it is. For sociology I think being heavily dependent on a text book isn't the best idea. Only if you're doing a past paper question and you feel like you're struggling to think of sociologists then use the text book to help you find theories etc. Otherwise don't do the long method of making notes from the whole text book.

What I did for my A Level sociology is made a sheet of what each sociologist said and I read through that every night and memorised it pretty quickly.

Spoiler

Anything else? :h:
Even though you annotate it in class I think you should annotate it more at home. If people in your class will be remembering the same points as you, they will most likely be discussing the same thing as you in the exam - hence the examiner get's bored. So you try your best to look at it in much more detail than you have in class. If you have any questions on your pre-release then feel free to ask me! (Just make sure you type up that bit of what the pre-release says because I don't have it :tongue:)

Yepp, that technique of printing another pre-release is a good idea. If you want use acronyms to help you.

Depends what text book it is. For sociology I think being heavily dependent on a text book isn't the best idea. Only if you're doing a past paper question and you feel like you're struggling to think of sociologists then use the text book to help you find theories etc. Otherwise don't do the long method of making notes from the whole text book.

What I did for my A Level sociology is made a sheet of what each sociologist said and I read through that every night and memorised it pretty quickly.

Spoiler

Anything else? :h:

Sory for the late reply.
Sure i will try it out -) I reallyy doubt there is any points missing cuz we went over it in detail. But i'll check into it!
I see so make tables/charts with condensed comparisons/info of specific topics e.g. like a table for research methods (strengths and weaknesses)

Should i make a seperate sheet of paper that is only used for key concepts/terms? (e.g. norms - meaning, values - meaning etc....)
Sory for the late reply.
Sure i will try it out -) I reallyy doubt there is any points missing cuz we went over it in detail. But i'll check into it!
I see so make tables/charts with condensed comparisons/info of specific topics e.g. like a table for research methods (strengths and weaknesses)

Should i make a seperate sheet of paper that is only used for key concepts/terms? (e.g. norms - meaning, values - meaning etc....)

Yeah I get you, but if anywhere you see a blank bit where it hasn't been analysed - just go over that ad see if you can add anything.

Condensing notes is the best way to revise. Don't you do that in lesson? It was something pretty common when I was at college.

Yepp I recommend you do. It doesn't mean you should learn it word for word but have an idea how to word your sentence when giving a definition of a word, you can then apply that knowledge in your essays.

Any other question? :h:

EDIT: I found this http://clo2016.wix.com/gcserevision
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply