The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Drinking - Any good places for Cider or Dark Rum?

Hi,

I'm an offer holder and was wondering where is good in Brighton for real cider and dark rum? By real cider I mean nothing sweet ie real cider- NO koppaberg, rekordaleig, bulmers etc, only real cider like Thatchers, Rattler, Westons etc, preferably by draught. (Also any wetherspoons sell Thatchers? Any supermarket sell good cider?)

Also any good places for dark rum? like Havana club, Lambs Navy or Kraken? Or any bars that sell Plymouth or Hoxtons Gin or nice Tequila/Mezcal? This is important as you may have guessed (apart form the tequila) I am from the South-West.

Additionally how is the night out in general and the freshers week? Are Brighton students allowed to join Sussex Societies and vise versa? Any answers will be appreciated thanks :smile:

Cam
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Cameron

I'm more of an ale and gin person myself :wink: but I'll have a bash at pointing you in the right direction.

The local CAMRA branch are about to award the Branch Cider Pub of the Year to the Old Star Ale and Cider House. It's in Shoreham which is a bus ride away, but the buses (2, 59, 60, 700) run regularly and it's a good micropub experience if that's your bag :smile: There's loads of other good pubs in the city and the CAMRA website has useful info. The local branch even has a Cider and Perry Rep who's contact details are on the site.

The Saint James Tavern has a massive rum and rum cocktail menu and they do Stowford Press if that's any good to you?? :biggrin: That's in town too (St James' St) so no buses for that one!

The World's End pub on London Rd has the Kraken logo painted across it so I reckon that will be serving some rum.

Hope that helps and I'll give a little shout-out to Brighton Gin while I'm here

Original post by Cameron_Millar
Hi,

I'm an offer holder and was wondering where is good in Brighton for real cider and dark rum? By real cider I mean nothing sweet ie real cider- NO koppaberg, rekordaleig, bulmers etc, only real cider like Thatchers, Rattler, Westons etc, preferably by draught. (Also any wetherspoons sell Thatchers? Any supermarket sell good cider?)

Also any good places for dark rum? like Havana club, Lambs Navy or Kraken? Or any bars that sell Plymouth or Hoxtons Gin or nice Tequila/Mezcal? This is important as you may have guessed (apart form the tequila) I am from the South-West.

Additionally how is the night out in general and the freshers week? Are Brighton students allowed to join Sussex Societies and vise versa? Any answers will be appreciated thanks :smile:

Cam
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
How could I have forgotten The Office! A gin pub on Sydney St in the North Laine, right in town. They've got nearly 50 different gins and about 18 months ago they were awarded Best Spirit Pub at the Great British Pub Awards.

Original post by Cameron_Millar
Hi,

Cam
Original post by University of Brighton
How could I have forgotten The Office! A gin pub on Sydney St in the North Laine, right in town. They've got nearly 50 different gins and about 18 months ago they were awarded Best Spirit Pub at the Great British Pub Awards.

Thanks for the replies, St James and The Office do sound promising :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending