The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SEM94
40 articles for one essay is a bit excessive. Maximum I've ever used for a uni history essay is 15, average tends to be 10, and I'm averaging a first.

Are you referring to a dissertation?

15-10 references in a 2500 essay?

Lol. Just lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by *Stefan*
15-10 references in a 2500 essay?

Lol. Just lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's so funny? It's about how you use the references, not how many you have...
Reply 82
Original post by SEM94
What's so funny? It's about how you use the references, not how many you have...

It's obviously both. 10-15 references means that you barely researched around the subject. The main aspect of coursework is having whatever you say backed by an authority on the subject. Arguing whatever you argue without examples, professional research and whatnot is hardly arguing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
It's obviously both. 10-15 references means that you barely researched around the subject. The main aspect of coursework is having whatever you say backed by an authority on the subject. Arguing whatever you argue without examples, professional research and whatnot is hardly arguing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

10-15 'barely reading around the subject'? What do you study? What if it's a history essay on a very specific question, with very little existing scholarship?
Reply 84
Original post by SEM94
10-15 'barely reading around the subject'? What do you study? What if it's a history essay on a very specific question, with very little existing scholarship?

For a 2500 essay, definitely. Law. People use this excuse all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Holy crap, I thought I had it bad with a 4000 word essay and 9 days to do it.
But you, my friend, are on a whole other level of last-minute panic.
Original post by LiquidGold
Same with mine. 1 minute late - 1 day late capped at 40, after that 0.

That's just ridiculously unfair
So 8000 words in Times new Roman double spaced at 12 point is 33 pages

well damn OP

I wonder if OP's dead.
For a 2500 essay, definitely. Law. People use this excuse all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law is a bit of a special case. If you're citing to judgments all the time you're obviously going to rack up the references.
Original post by Ivann505
aite guys the time is currently 14:59 just woke up after having a heavy night out for my mate's Birthday... I was mean to do all the work last night but he dragged me out and now I'm stuck with a fat hangover. Can I make it?

Tomorrow is today. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RIP OP

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can't be both since he averages a 1st..
Original post by LiquidGold
Not saying that's not an achievement but it's hardly comparable - a university essay in history would require around 40 cited and referenced articles, doing that referencing alone would take almost the time it took you to write your essay lol

40 references for a 2500 word essay? How much of that would be your own work? Not to mention that long bibliography list at the end.
15 words take you about 10 seconds to write. If you write and have no break, you must spare 2,22 hours to complete your essay. So, at least it take you about 4 to 5 hours to finish your essay (time for thinking, writing, correcting...)
I love how the op is online but is not responding to anyone's questions.
Original post by Ivann505
aite guys the time is currently 14:59 just woke up after having a heavy night out for my mate's Birthday... I was mean to do all the work last night but he dragged me out and now I'm stuck with a fat hangover. Can I make it?

OP what happenedddd? are you deadddd yet???!!!!
Original post by SEM94
40 articles for one essay is a bit excessive. Maximum I've ever used for a uni history essay is 15, average tends to be 10, and I'm averaging a first.

Are you referring to a dissertation?

I do geography, not history, but was just assuming it would be relatively similar :tongue:

It is advised on my course that per 1000 words you have around 10 references. Obviously it depends on the subject of the essay, but I've done a few 4000 word essays and my references have ranged in number from 25-45.
Original post by cherryred90s
40 references for a 2500 word essay? How much of that would be your own work? Not to mention that long bibliography list at the end.

He was talking about a 4000 word essay.
It's all still your own work (if it's a good essay) for example if you think of an interesting point you still reference the different articles that led you to that conclusion.
Reference lists are excluded from the word count (but yes, they are very long 😝).
Original post by chikane
I love how the op is online but is not responding to anyone's questions.

Keeping us in suspense.
Original post by RhaegoTarg
Keeping us in suspense.

Such a bugger he is

Latest