The Student Room Group

We need more people like Katie Hopkins

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by darkvibes
yeah thats what im saying. You can talk about race, but no hate i.e. hate speech

What do you class as hate speech?
Original post by joecphillips
What do you class as hate speech?

Hate speech is speech that offends, threatens, or insults groups, based on race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or other traits.

The proper definition
Nah.
Reply 43
Hate speech is speech that offends, threatens, or insults groups, based on race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or other traits.

The proper definition

So you can never say anything that offends.
You can not use that definition and claim to support free speech.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
It's easy to be a human.
A little more difficult to be a 'humane' human.
I'm not gonna bet on KH any time soon.
Tick tock😎
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I mean we clearly need her with so many facists in our midst

Fascist lol :biggrin: I just dislike her intensely
There's a very good reason why most people don't act and speak like her, and it's not because everyone wants to say shocking trollish things but is stopped from doing so by the evil PC conspiracy. It's just that most people aren't mad enough to actually have those opinions or self-obsessed enough to pretend to have them for attention.
Reply 47
Original post by Grand High Witch
Do I disagree with her on most things? Yes. Do her opinions often make me gasp? Yes.

However, she is an antidote to the crack down on "offensive" opinions which has happened in recent times with safe spaces, restrictive laws, trial by media, faux-outrage, people who have made taking offence a full-time job, etc.

Those who want to silence her have tried it all - abusing her, shunning her and even reporting her to the police, yet she continues. I disagree with pretty much everything she comes out with yet I do admire her for not cowering down and still saying what she wants to say.

Do you agree or disagree?

I don't see the merit of controversy for controversy's sake. Explain?
Do I disagree with her on most things? Yes. Do her opinions often make me gasp? Yes.

However, she is an antidote to the crack down on "offensive" opinions which has happened in recent times with safe spaces, restrictive laws, trial by media, faux-outrage, people who have made taking offence a full-time job, etc.

Those who want to silence her have tried it all - abusing her, shunning her and even reporting her to the police, yet she continues. I disagree with pretty much everything she comes out with yet I do admire her for not cowering down and still saying what she wants to say.

I would agree with you if I thought she actually meant what she said. The majority of her 'opinions' are merely her trying to be as controversial as possible in order to feed the Katie Hopkins PR machine.

I agree. I definitely do not see eye to eye with her on a lot of issues, but it's refreshing to see that her will has not been deterred by the constant abuse she gets. Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing and people need to learn to accept other peoples' opinions, even when they can be offensive.
yeah thats what im saying. You can talk about race, but no hate i.e. hate speech

You cannot have degrees of freedom of speech. If that were the case, who will decide what is OK to say and what isn't.

She does it for publicity, not because she is some sort of champion for free speech. What is there to admire?
Original post by joecphillips
So you can never say anything that offends.
You can not use that definition and claim to support free speech.

I copied it from the internet.
It's very subjective, i would say that when something offends but doesn't have the intention to offend, then it is free speech.

The point where its hate speech is where the key intention is offence.
Original post by Aceadria
You cannot have degrees of freedom of speech. If that were the case, who will decide what is OK to say and what isn't.

Hate speech is very different. The law will decide what is hate speech.

The proper definition

Nope it is not

this however is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom (all leagel sources are quoted)

A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or(b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he— (a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or (b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distres

But note this

Nothing in this Part shall be read or given effect in a way which prohibits or restricts discussion, criticism or expressions of antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of particular religions or the beliefs or practices of their adherents, or of any other belief system or the beliefs or practices of its adherents, or proselytising or urging adherents of a different religion or belief system to cease practising their religion or belief system.

When looking for definition it is better to go to those who actually define them not to make up you own
Hate speech is very different. The law will decide what is hate speech.

It already has

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom

and the law clearly states

Nothing in this Part shall be read or given effect in a way which prohibits or restricts discussion, criticism or expressions of antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of particular religions or the beliefs or practices of their adherents, or of any other belief system or the beliefs or practices of its adherents, or proselytising or urging adherents of a different religion or belief system to cease practising their religion or belief system.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Nope it is not

this however is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom (all leagel sources are quoted)

A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or(b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he— (a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or (b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distres

But note this

When looking for definition it is better to go to those who actually define them not to make up you own

Well I just plucked the first on i saw from the internet. And if you look at my posts after you would see i addressed that fact that it wouldnt restrict discussion and only counts as hate if its intent is racial hatred.

Maybe if you read my posts you wouldnt look like such a fool right now.
Original post by BaconandSauce
It already has

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom

and the law clearly states

I know, i said the law will decide if one is hate speech...

wtf is wrong with you, here you are agreeing with me and you still choose to try and stir up an argument.
Well I just plucked the first on i saw from the internet. And if you look at my posts after you would see i addressed that fact that it wouldnt restrict discussion and only counts as hate if its intent is racial hatred.

Maybe if you read my posts you wouldnt look like such a fool right now.

I'm not the one who randomly picked a internet page to define hate speech but yes I do tend to read forums from the start hence me replying to your first post where you posted your made up definition

but if you react this badly to being corrected on a forum you must be a joy to educate.
(edited 8 years ago)
I know, i said the law will decide if one is hate speech...

wtf is wrong with you, here you are agreeing with me and you still choose to try and stir up an argument.

Just reading and replying to your posts in the order you posted them (that's the way forums tend to work)

Perhaps a little consideration and thought in your posts and you wouldn't have to correct yourself so much

or get tetchy when others do it for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending