The Student Room Group

Not safe to eat Dolmio pasta sauce or Uncle Ben's oriental sauces more than once a we

Even the company (Mars) that makes them thinks they are barely fit for humans to eat without getting ill. :rolleyes:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36051333

They contain salt, sugar and fat levels that are so high, they are dangerous to eat regularly. :eek4:

Of course, they should probably withdraw all products like this from sale, but heck, it's a free country where giant food corporations are free to poison us.

Scroll to see replies

I would have thought it's not safe for consumption at all

red salty slop that it is.

But yes if food needs to come with such a warning it really shouldn't be available for purchase
Reply 2
"The company said some foods were higher in salt, sugar or fat to maintain the "authentic" taste of products."

And yet, anyone who has cooked their own versions of these meals will know you don't pour in gallons of salt, sugar and fat. I find it astounding how much salt goes into these meals, in comparison to something you make from scratch.
I'm really glad there's more openness about these foods so people can make informed decisions- so much hidden salt and sugar.
Original post by Aj12
"The company said some foods were higher in salt, sugar or fat to maintain the "authentic" taste of products."

And yet, anyone who has cooked their own versions of these meals will know you don't pour in gallons of salt, sugar and fat. I find it astounding how much salt goes into these meals, in comparison to something you make from scratch.

:biggrin:

recipe for home made tomato Dolmio style sauce

1 tin tomato
1lb salt
1/2lb sugar
Fat (any type)

add to pan and heat.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I'm really glad there's more openness about these foods so people can make informed decisions- so much hidden salt and sugar.

It's not hidden, it is written on the label.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
It's not hidden, it is written on the label.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm, but label ingredients aren't as explicit.

Also I find with RDAs and stuff food companies are blatantly unrealistic with their given portion sizes in order to make their food not seem so bad.
Reply 7
Original post by BaconandSauce
:biggrin:

recipe for home made tomato Dolmio style sauce

Fat (any type)

add to pan and heat.

Surprised people even buy these things when it's so cheap and easy to make your own nicer versions from scratch.
It's all there on the label, you can't make people read it. It's not unsafe, just unhealthy to eat it regularly.

That said, I'm going to look into making my own pasta sauce.
Original post by minimarshmallow
It's all there on the label, you can't make people read it. It's not unsafe, just unhealthy to eat it regularly.

That said, I'm going to look into making my own pasta sauce.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6995/tomato-and-basil-sauce

1 tbsp olive oil

1 garlic clove, crushed

400g can chopped tomatoes

1 tsp vegetable stock powder or ½ crumbled stock cube

1 tbsp tomato purée

1 tsp sugar

Heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic, then gently fry for 1 min.

Tip in all the other ingredients, except the basil, then bring to the boil.

Reduce the heat, then simmer uncovered for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.

To finish, tear the basil leaves, then stir into the sauce.

few basil leaves

It's a bit cheaper to cook it from scratch. There is a nice recipe in 'the essentials of classic Italian cooking' by Marcella Hazan if anybody is interested.
Reply 12
Its safe to eat but not regularly
Original post by Aj12

Presumably this is at least partly a response to all the criticisms of artificial preserving agents, so they are dumping more salt in them instead.

Basically anything vaguely like a meal or a sauce that comes pre-prepared in a jar or pack is going to be bad for you.
Reply 14
It's not just the name brands that do this. I bought a jar of Sainsbury's own brand sauce once, it was so salty I had to throw most of the meal in the bin. :sadnod:
Luckily we do not eat these at home.

Is it wrong that that made me hungry

I'm a James Martin fan and some of his sweets use a massive amount of butter
Original post by Dez
It's not just the name brands that do this. I bought a jar of Sainsbury's own brand sauce once, it was so salty I had to throw most of the meal in the bin. :sadnod:

Possibly cheaper brands and off-brands are worse for this as they need to cut their costs somewhere.
Reply 18
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Possibly cheaper brands and off-brands are worse for this as they need to cut their costs somewhere.

It was their fancy brand, though I don't recall how much it cost compared to the Dolmio equivalent.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Even the company (Mars) that makes them thinks they are barely fit for humans to eat without getting ill. :rolleyes:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36051333

They contain salt, sugar and fat levels that are so high, they are dangerous to eat regularly. :eek4:

Of course, they should probably withdraw all products like this from sale, but heck, it's a free country where giant food corporations are free to poison us.

" Not safe to eat Dolmio pasta sauce or Uncle Ben's rice more than once a week"

i am not sure they said that the Uncle Benz rice is unsafe :dontknow:

What do i know ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending