The Student Room Group

Are corsa's really that bad?

So I'm after my first car like many on here and like most first time drivers I wanted to go for a corsa. Now the issue is that I'm hearing alot of people say "stay away from corsa's they're a money pit" and I just wanted to know if this was true?

From a first time driver's point of view, a corsa is an ideal car because of how cheap and small it is, but if it's going to be something that I need to spend money on every now and then, then it might not be a good idea after all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had a 2009 corsa nearly new and never had any problems in the two years I owned it. It's now been with my grandparents since 2012 and they've never had any issues, passed its MOT every time, etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
A lot of driving in structures do have Corsas (mine including), which suggests they are pretty reliable given the amount of use those cars get.

That said, they will replace fairly regularly, so I don't know how well they'd last long term if you want a car for a long time.

When we were looking in to buying cars (not a first car, but a smaller family car) we decide to go with Ford as maintenance wise, the costs for new parts, tyres etc is less than a lot of other cars. We went for a Focus, but my wife previous had a KA and have friends who have Fiestas.
Reply 3
Whoever is saying that is talking pish. Yes there are more reliable & cheaper to run options than a Corsa, Micras, Yaris's, little Suzuki's etc. But the corsa for the most part is fine and if you like them I would not be put off.

Avoid the 1.3 Diesel, if you get one of the turbocharged engines make sure to stay on top of the oil consumtion as ive heard it can be somewhat high (1l/5000miles ish). Make sure anything you buy has a good service history.

Oh and ALL cars will need money spent on them "every now and then". The only question is how much money.
Reply 4
I have a 58 plate Corsa and it's great, better than all my friends' cars :yep:

Except that one kid with a brand new BMW. He doesn't count.
I absolutely hate Vauxhall so im obviously gonna say theyre rubbish.
Everyones got them. Go for something that actually looks good and is comfortable.
Ive been in a Corsa and the ride was appalling. It was bouncing around all over the place!!
The interiors are sooo simple too!

I have a Fiat Grande Punto which works like a dream. Have had it for 11 months with no issues at all!
Original post by RK

When we were looking in to buying cars (not a first car, but a smaller family car) we decide to go with Ford as maintenance wise, the costs for new parts, tyres etc is less than a lot of other cars. We went for a Focus, but my wife previous had a KA and have friends who have Fiestas.

The fiesta is soooooo good!!! (Fords in general are very good though :yy: )

OP, my sister has a Corsa, and she loves it - she hasn't had to sink masses of money into it, and she just keeps it ticking over in general good working order...
Have had a Corsa in the family for 12 years now. Other than general wear items (oil, brakes etc) the only things that have needed replacing have been a wiper motor and a crankshaft sensor. No problems.
Reply 8
Hateful little turds. Avoid.
Reply 9
Corsas are lovely!
Depends which ones. Newer ones are probably good but most new cars are when you compare them to the cars most people have a bad impression about.

The old corsas like a decade ago are pretty horrible. They are cheap to run but things always seem to go wrong on them and it's a **** drive. You rather get a Yaris, it won't be as quick probably but it's way more reliable and cheaper to run. Just make sure it doesn't rust.
Or go for a mini one...bigger engine than corsa's...and cheaper to run & insure :wink:.
They're fine; don't cost massive amounts to run, although have a good look at the service history if it's about a decade old: this year alone mine and two of my mums coworkers had the head gasket blow and it seems to be a fairly common fault in the older models.
Original post by Dann.It
Or go for a mini one...bigger engine than corsa's...and cheaper to run & insure :wink:.

Aren't minis one of the most unreliable brands out there?
Original post by BrownEyedGirl92
Aren't minis one of the most unreliable brands out there?

only for some of the models as they were known for having defects. If you avoid them, then you should be fine.
Original post by FireFreezer77
I absolutely hate Vauxhall so im obviously gonna say theyre rubbish.
Everyones got them. Go for something that actually looks good and is comfortable.
Ive been in a Corsa and the ride was appalling. It was bouncing around all over the place!!
The interiors are sooo simple too!

I have a Fiat Grande Punto which works like a dream. Have had it for 11 months with no issues at all!

As someone who had a Fiat Grande Punto Sporting... LOL enjoy it while it lasts.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
As someone who had a Fiat Grande Punto Sporting... LOL enjoy it while it lasts.

I don't have a sporting but everything is fine currently. Had no issues at all. Passed its MOT without incident!
Understeers like a ****er though!
Reply 17
Original post by Juno
Corsas are lovely!

BMW M cars are lovely. A Jag is lovely. A Bentley is "lovely".

A corsa is ****.
Reply 18
Original post by JC.
BMW M cars are lovely. A Jag is lovely. A Bentley is "lovely".

A corsa is ****.

No. The cars you've mentioned are expensive. I could even understand them being called ridiculous. But they're not as lovely as a corsa.
Original post by ramo55
So I'm after my first car like many on here and like most first time drivers I wanted to go for a corsa. Now the issue is that I'm hearing alot of people say "stay away from corsa's they're a money pit" and I just wanted to know if this was true?

From a first time driver's point of view, a corsa is an ideal car because of how cheap and small it is, but if it's going to be something that I need to spend money on every now and then, then it might not be a good idea after all?

first hand its ok. 2nd hand will be expensive to maintain. tbh its same with a lot of cars but because 2nd hand corsas usually belong to a) 1st time student drivers or b) oaps, they tend to be abused a lot more than norm (also why you should stay away from 2nd hand golfs and a3 audis).

if you do go for a corsa, make sure it has a 1.4L na engine or is a newer 1.0l petrol. vxrs are really uncomfy for long journeys and diesels, whilst decent for 1st time drivers, have noticable turbo lag / understeer in heavy rain conditions. as an owner of a 1.0l na corsa- avoid this (if in previous gen corsa like mine) as these are a nightmare to drive on slopes (although fuel economy of 55+ mpg is always welcome)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest