The Student Room Group

Not safe to eat Dolmio pasta sauce or Uncle Ben's oriental sauces more than once a we

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dez
It was their fancy brand, though I don't recall how much it cost compared to the Dolmio equivalent.

Smh. Waitrose wouldn't pull such shenanigans.
Original post by the bear
" Not safe to eat Dolmio pasta sauce or Uncle Ben's rice more than once a week"

i am not sure they said that the Uncle Benz rice is unsafe :dontknow:

What do i know ?

I don't think the thread title is unfair. Why else would they recommend avoiding eating these foods regularly other than because that would be detrimental to health, eg, 'unsafe'?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I don't think the thread title is unfair. Why else would they recommend avoiding eating these foods regularly other than because that would be detrimental to health, eg, 'unsafe'?

it is not unfair, just wrong.

"Mars told the BBC that just 5% of its products would be labelled "occasional".
These include Dolmio lasagne sauces, pesto, and carbonara and macaroni oven kits, and Uncle Ben's oriental sauces."
Original post by the bear
it is not unfair, just wrong.

"Mars told the BBC that just 5% of its products would be labelled "occasional".
These include Dolmio lasagne sauces, pesto, and carbonara and macaroni oven kits, and Uncle Ben's oriental sauces."

Oh yes. I will at once request a correction, let's hope not too many people make a mistake in the meantime and buy a multi pack of Uncle Ben's sugar and salt sauces.
Oh yes. I will at once request a correction, let's hope not too many people make a mistake in the meantime and buy a multi pack of Uncle Ben's sugar and salt sauces.

dripping with salty sarcasm...
Even the company (Mars) that makes them thinks they are barely fit for humans to eat without getting ill. :rolleyes:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36051333

They contain salt, sugar and fat levels that are so high, they are dangerous to eat regularly. :eek4:

Of course, they should probably withdraw all products like this from sale, but heck, it's a free country where giant food corporations are free to poison us.

No wonder they ask "When's your dolmio day"?

Mine is

Spoiler

Learn to prepare food/cook properly and make your own.
Will Mars also be labelling their Mars bars with similar warnings?

And the claim that they need 5 years to reformulate their products sounds like utter crap.

Original post by Aj12
"The company said some foods were higher in salt, sugar or fat to maintain the "authentic" taste of products."

And yet, anyone who has cooked their own versions of these meals will know you don't pour in gallons of salt, sugar and fat. I find it astounding how much salt goes into these meals, in comparison to something you make from scratch.

It's fairly common for food manufacturers of cut down the volume of more expensive ingredients and compensate with cheap crap like salt and sugar. Making your own isn't just healthier but tastes far better.

Less cynically, sugar and salt are preservatives, so extend shelf life.
Original post by quasa
No wonder they ask "When's your dolmio day"?

Mine is

Spoiler

Having a Dolmio Day is like setting up a national 'Celebrate Obesity' day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending