The Student Room Group

Nottingham Uni vs York Uni - URGENT HELP?!

Hi, I'm trying to pick my firm and insurance unis and I'm really stuck!

I want to do geography and am debating between Nottingham Uni and York Uni for my firm choice and I really can't make up my mind

Both are asking for ABB and I'm probably going to put UEA as my insurance (also ABB)
York is environmental geography so it has much more science and maths than Nottingham's straight geography degree. The amount of science does intimidate me slightly as although I do A2 biology and did AS maths, I hate(d) them both and am not that good at them.

Nottingham has a really nice uni and a course but I really didn't like the city that much. Coming from London I wanted to live somewhere a bit nicer or prettier like York

I really like both unis and I'm so stuck between them, so if anyone had any advice I'd be grateful!

- Do you know how much science and maths there is in environmental geography at York? If so, is it easy to handle?

- What's Nottingham like to live in as a student? (I only saw the main bits so I don't really know much)
- Is Nottingham safe? and is a nice city to be in?

Thank you, I would really appreciate any advice/ answers! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, I can't say much about Nottingham, but I was at York briefly..

The university itself is really nice, a beautiful campus (I only left because I chose the utterly wrong course!).
The societies there are phenomenal, there is always something to do.

If you are worried about the science, in York they have plenty of seminars which you can bring up any problems and get them resolved (With in the seminars tutors capacity), or use the drop in hours of the lecturer.

Any specific questions about York, just let me know :smile:
Why have your insurance choice with the same grades as your firm?
Reply 3
Original post by DepletingSanity
Hey, I can't say much about Nottingham, but I was at York briefly..

The university itself is really nice, a beautiful campus (I only left because I chose the utterly wrong course!).
The societies there are phenomenal, there is always something to do.

If you are worried about the science, in York they have plenty of seminars which you can bring up any problems and get them resolved (With in the seminars tutors capacity), or use the drop in hours of the lecturer.

Any specific questions about York, just let me know :smile:

Thank you, that's actually really reassuring! What is the college system like at York? I'm not sure whether I like it or not
Reply 4
Original post by Supersaps
Why have your insurance choice with the same grades as your firm?

Because they are all my lowest offers

I have an offer from Exeter: A*AC (my predicted grades) and Newcastle: AAB but tbh I'm not feeling prepared at all for exams and I don't want to risk accommodation etc :smile:
Original post by Hattie_Hats
Because they are all my lowest offers

I have an offer from Exeter: A*AC (my predicted grades) and Newcastle: AAB but tbh I'm not feeling prepared at all for exams and I don't want to risk accommodation etc :smile:

Fair enough. Don't fancy Exeter as your firm then?
The college system isn't really that important.
You are generally in whichever college your accommodation block is part of (Unless you live off-campus, then I;m not sure how they work it).

On the first week there are a lot of college-specific events, and a sort of banterous rivalry between colleges, but after that most college events are open for all.

I should tell you one thing I found, although this might not affect you at all, when I was having issues with picking the wrong course my tutor was very bad at handling it, her advice was to leave or to smile and put up with it. Only after I left was I told that I could have possibly transferred to another course. So be wary of tutors, and double check information.
Reply 7
Fair enough. Don't fancy Exeter as your firm then?

I really liked Exeter but I'm so lazy I don't know if I'll get the grades!
I'm not sure whether to take the risk
Reply 8
I have friends at both universities and have visited both for the night and I have to say I prefer Nottingham. I would argue that Nottingham's campus is nicer, the nightlife is better (I think they can thank Trent for that) and as someone who doesn't attend either University I would say Nottingham is regarded as more prestigious for non-arts subjects. Saying that I would happily study at either of these unis and you'll love whichever one you're at.
I really liked Exeter but I'm so lazy I don't know if I'll get the grades!I'm not sure whether to take the risk

Ahaha, well there's no point firming/insuring two universities with the same entry requirements!

Have some confidence in yourself, grow a set and firm exeter. Then insure your preference of york/notts.
The college system isn't really that important.
You are generally in whichever college your accommodation block is part of (Unless you live off-campus, then I;m not sure how they work it).

On the first week there are a lot of college-specific events, and a sort of banterous rivalry between colleges, but after that most college events are open for all.

I should tell you one thing I found, although this might not affect you at all, when I was having issues with picking the wrong course my tutor was very bad at handling it, her advice was to leave or to smile and put up with it. Only after I left was I told that I could have possibly transferred to another course. So be wary of tutors, and double check information.

Oh that's frustrating, what course were you doing?

Ok yeah that's good, I didn't want to be confined to one college :smile:
Oh that's frustrating, what course were you doing?

Ok yeah that's good, I didn't want to be confined to one college :smile:

Criminology- I was led to believe it was quite scientific, but after arriving at York it was almost completely Sociology, something I cannot grasp for the lack of science associated with it.
Ahaha, well there's no point firming/insuring two universities with the same entry requirements!

Have some confidence in yourself, grow a set and firm exeter. Then insure your preference of york/notts.

ahaha I might just do that! I haven't really looked into the course so I'll look into it :smile:
Criminology- I was led to believe it was quite scientific, but after arriving at York it was almost completely Sociology, something I cannot grasp for the lack of science associated with it.

Oh that sucks! Well hopefully it would be the opposite for me and there's only a tiny amount of science :h:
UEA seems to be your bottom choice of your three lowest offers (all of which are the same). Why would you pick them? Firm Exeter if you're feeling daring and then insure your preference of York/Nottingham. If you don't think you can/want to achieve Exeter or even Newcastle, it makes no sense to insure UEA. If you think you can get ABB, firm your preference of Notts/York and insure the other.
I dont go to either of the universities so I cant comment on courses but I do have a lot of friends up at York and was there myself for a bit.
Nightlife at York isn't the best but you are 30mins away from manchester on the train and 20 mins away from Leeds so that shouldn't be much of a problem
The campus at york is loverly, maybe not the buildings themselves but they have a giant lake and lots of geese and everyone there is loverly. They say hi and everything. :smile:
The York as a city is really pretty and quite safe at night, with the city walls that you can walk on and the Uni bus being 24 hours (I think its 24 hours) so you can get back to campus from a night out safely.

But yeah choose the course first and then area later is my advice. I've heard that Nottingham is nice too

Spoiler

I went to Nottingham so very bias I'm sure, but can't recommend it enough. I had friends at York who liked the Uni but they were not so keen on the city, it's gorgeous for a day trip but not much to do there at night. Nottingham on the other hand has a fantastic night scene and the campus has some stunning views and buildings, (and a boating lake and 15 bars) even the city center and 2nd year houses are pretty nice and don't worry about the less nice bits you'll have no need to ever leave the uni bubble unless it's a trip to Melton Mowbray for a famous pork pie. If you do choose Nottingham go for halls on Uni Park Campus (Hugh Stewart is the best looking, Cripps has a gym and Cavendish is En-Suite and Nightingale has double beds, Ruttland is not for the fainthearted as they seem to be subjected to some lighthearted mockery in the first week - not sure why) and definitely live off Derby Rd. in Lenton for second year!

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending