The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mochassassin

I'm sure there are more academic/essay style blogs for you to read if you can't follow my snappy writing style. :smile:

You're still easier to understand than Anon98 though. :yy:
Original post by Josb
You're still easier to understand than Anon98 though. :yy:

Aw, it's okay, we can't all keep up. :console: :smile:
I hope things get better for you :hugs: Subscribing! Hopefully the blog will help :smile:

III
"How old are you now?"
"Old enough to get married, right?"
"Now that she's married, is it you next?"
"When's your wedding?"
"Have you started looking for suitable grooms yet?"
"Do you already have anyone in mind?"
"Are you finishing uni soon so you can get married?"
"Start taking notes from *insert name's* wedding, the decor is nice! Any ideas for yours?"
"Her dress is lovely, do you want to wear something like that at your wedding?"

Too many questions.
Too little time to evade them.
Too many fake smiles.
Too little immaturity to scowl.

Don't get me wrong - the wedding today was a beautiful event. My friend (the bride) looked absolutely stunning in a plum/white lehenga with a heavily-embellished train that followed her petite figure everywhere. The colour coordination of everything was just flawless. But aesthetics aside, it was an emotional rOlLeRcOaStEr. My mum was bawling her eyes out and clutching onto the bride like it was her own daughter she was giving away.

Maybe she did picture me in her place because here's the scary part:
I AM NEXT.
(I am not affiliated with Next PLC but wouldn't that make for an empowering ad campaign for a new clothing range? No? Okay. :getmecoat:)

The Bengali community where I live isn't big. All the eligible girls are now happily married. The younger girls have a good few years before they get pestered about this stuff. It's as annoying as it is scary because I'm so conflicted.

1) On the one hand, I'm not ready:
a) It's so comfortable being in the bubble of education just to evade this whole marriage business - masters/PhD gives me more time to think about what I want.
b) My issues with religion is something I haven't yet discussed with my parents.

2) On the other hand, I am ready because:
a) I'm sick of studying/essays/exams/lectures/seminars. I've hated university for a while now.
b) If I had the right guy in my life now (who also wanted to get married), I could see myself settling down and having children. I'm very mumsy.
Hey, I don't get motherzoned constantly for nothin'.
:u:

I know what you'll say...
"Do what makes you happy!", "it's your life!" bla bla bla, but both options have positive and negative outcomes.

Those questions up there were more suffocating than the horrendously tight collar on my sari blouse I wore on the henna night two nights earlier.
No, seriously, it was so tight, I grew a triple chin instantly. I should really make a .gif to show you guys the transformation. It's like those annoying weight loss ads you see on the side of webpages.
Note: if you're sat there reading this like "omg, I see those ads all the time!", it's time to edumacate yourself about browsers and download Adblocker.
:colonhash:

tl;dr; what was supposed to be an enjoyable, carefree day of focusing on someone else's holy matrimony ended up being a ticking time bomb of me counting down the seconds until I went home.

*cue Ben Howard's 'The Fear' for a bit of dramatic flair because the lyrics are supposed to be encouraging and resolve my inner turmoil...and also because it's a great song.*

Spoiler

This will be me in the future, I'm hoping mum will change her way of thinking about marriage by then, but that seems unlikely. :lol:

Oh my God, don't get me started on Zakir Naik.
Friggin' Peace TV. :rofl:
The one time I even hinted at questioning the Quran, my mum FLIPPED. Kept frantically asking me why I was speaking like a disbeliever.
Shame I couldn't answer by saying, "Because I am a disbeliever". :u:

Zakir Naik :rofl: I should stop laughing and go to sleep :getmecoat:
Original post by Black Rose

I must say, I'm quite surprised by how many people on TSR seem to be familiar with Naik. :holmes: I was under the impression that he's quite niche. I mean, it's obvious why he would be well-known in certain societies (I-Soc and ExMusSoc, namely), but how anybody else knows or cares about him is a mystery to me.
Original post by Black Rose
I hope things get better for you :hugs: Subscribing! Hopefully the blog will help :smile:
This will be me in the future, I'm hoping mum will change her way of thinking about marriage by then, but that seems unlikely. :lol:

Thank you for the sub, I hope so too! And if it helps put other people's thoughts into words so y'all can relate, even better!
Best of luck for the future then, let's hope you get to make your own decision!
And go to sleep, Zakir Naik will still be here tomorrow. :lol:
Original post by Hydeman
I must say, I'm quite surprised by how many people on TSR seem to be familiar with Naik. :holmes: I was under the impression that he's quite niche. I mean, it's obvious why he would be well-known among certain societies (I-Soc and ExMusSoc, namely), but how anybody else knows or cares about him is a mystery to me.

I know because of my Muslim family watching his talks on tv :tongue:

Thank you for the sub, I hope so too! And if it helps put other people's thoughts into words so y'all can relate, even better!Best of luck for the future then, let's hope you get to make your own decision!And go to sleep, Zakir Naik will still be here tomorrow. :lol:
And you're Bengali too :five:

True, I should, night :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
I.
I'm not gonna lie, 2016 has been pretty awful. You know when bad things happen and you tell yourself that things can't possibly get worse but they somehow do and you find yourself trapped in a vicious cycle? When you think you've hit rock bottom but you somehow manage to drill yourself deeper and deeper into said rock until you reach the centre of the earth and discover it's actually 10,800°F and way more hotter and messier than you anticipated?

Yeah, that.

That is 2016 in two carelessly-crafted metaphors even the 50 Shades of Grey author would cringe at. I apologise in advance to any of you TSRians who are fans of the series for that inkling of an insult. Yes, I could easily Google her name but no, I don't want to taint my browser history with the shame.
#Word #SpittingBars #Rhyme #RapGodInTheMaking #EminemWho #MochaPlsStopYouAreEmbarrassingYourself

Wait, actually, no, I take the apology back.
Please click on the following link: [url="Mocha's Road to Reality I. I'm not gonna lie, 2016 has been pretty awful. You know when bad things happen and you tell yourself that things can't possibly get worse but they somehow do and you find yourself trapped in a vicious cycle? When you think you've hit rock bottom but you somehow manage to drill yourself deeper and deeper into said rock until you reach the centre of the earth and discover it's actually 10,800°F and way more hotter and messier than you anticipated? Yeah, that. That is 2016 in two, carelessly-crafted metaphors even the 50 Shades of Grey author would cringe at. I apologise in advance to any of you TSRians who are fans of the series for that inkling of an insult. Yes, I could easily Google her name but no, I don't want to taint my browser history with the shame. #Word #SpittingBars #Rhyme #RapGodInTheMaking #EminemWho #MochaPlsStopYouAreEmbarrassingYourself Wait, actually, no, I take the apology back. Please click on the following link: https://www.goodreads.com and discover a world of literature you never even knew existed until now. *insert Shia LaBoeuf gif. here* Poetic crap and 'I'm-a-Lit-student-so-I-have-to-sound-well-read' facade aside, 2016 has been worser than worse, if such a level of worse-ness is even possible. But don't sigh and click the 'back' button on your browser just yet. I'm not writing this blog to pour my heart out - there's a lotta deep, dark stuff lurking around in that nifty organ but it's not about to spill just yet. I know that's disappointing to hear because drama follows me on this site like it's my shadow - wowee, I am killing it with these literary devices (and not in a good way either) - however, I think it's time all that changes, don't you? Thus, this blog will be a sporadic collection of my feeble attempts at spending less time on the internet...and then coming back on the internet to report my life findings to you guys. Because: a) who doesn't love a bit of an existential crisis? b) who doesn't love a bit of irony?"]https://www.goodreads.com
and discover a world of literature you never even knew existed until now.
*insert Shia LaBoeuf gif. here*

Poetic crap and 'I'm-a-Lit-student-so-I-have-to-sound-well-read' facade aside, 2016 has been worser than worse, if such a level of worse-ness is even possible.

But don't sigh and click the 'back' button on your browser so soon though. I'm not writing this blog to pour my heart out - there's a lotta deep, dark stuff lurking around in that nifty organ but it's not about to spill just yet.

I know that's disappointing to hear because drama follows me on this site like it's my shadow - wowee, I am killing it with these literary devices (and not in a good way either) - however, I think it's time all that changes, don't you?

Thus, this blog will be a sporadic collection of my feeble attempts at spending less time on the internet...and then coming back on the internet to report my life findings to you guys.
Because:
a) who doesn't love a bit of an existential crisis?
b) who doesn't love a bit of irony?

i'm always here if you need you need me
IV
I've never been to therapy.
My nonchalant reply of 'nope' seems to surprise people who ask me if I've ever been.
Given the (many, many) circumstances under which I'd need it, I've always managed to keep the necessity at bay and find other ways to deal with my problems. These would range from things as simple as taking a walk to clear my head, to more complicated urges like resisting the temptation to reach for a bottle of alcohol. I turn to all these different outlets, expecting to find a quick fix. But I just end up being more frustrated than before.
:nooo:

I used to love reading, writing and drawing. I was even good at all three at one point in my life. But now I hate reading books, I struggle to write and I don't have the patience to draw. It's a miracle if I read any books from the set reading list for seminars.

Once upon a time, I was proud of how I could blag my way through uni.
Now?
Now, I just feel insanely guilty about it because I'm just wasting my time and money on something I don't even care about.
There are infinite simple pleasures in life and my disillusion is so chronic that I always manage to find reasons to get bored of them.
:dontknow:

But, and yes there's always a but, there is actually one thing which is the ultimate, classic mood booster.

Wait for it...

Yep, you guessed ri- no, not sex! :colonhash:

I was talking about FOOD. :daydreaming:

Food is love. Food is life.

I doubt there's anyone out there who disagrees with that.
It's fact, not opinion.

What's more enjoyable than eating food though, is cooking it.
I find it very therapeutic, thus it's a vital part of my road to real life.
It's easily a win-win situation because it gives me a good break from the internet and extends my knowledge of the culinary arts. :smug:

Smugness aside, I think we can all agree that good food makes us all happy bunnies.

I actually started writing this blog at a very inconvenient time. It would've made more sense to start this after exams, when I'd actually have time to cook, go out, etc...not a week before an essay deadline and a month before exams. :sigh:
But what's done is done.

Being a South Asian though, it would be a crime against my culture to talk about cooking and not mention our staple food: curries.

I love curry.

'Love' is an understatement. I could insert every single cliché known to man here and it still wouldn't be enough to explain my feelings towards curry. :mmm:

So with this in mind, I did what I do best: wasted money for fresh ingredients. It was the last bit of cash I had to my name as well. Thank you Student Finance Company for giving me £££ four hours ago though . And thank you Barclays Mobile Banking App for giving me a heads up about it. I can now sleep with a full stomach and a not-so-empty bank account.
:woo:

Let's get back to curry though. I cooked a Thai curry called 'massaman gai'. It was actually supposed to be butter chicken but admittedly, I was so excruciatingly hungry that I lost the plot halfway through and winged it. But I ended up with edible food that tasted and looked good, so I'm not complaining.
Here's an Instagram-worthy picture as well:

Spoiler

tl;dr: focusing my energy on cooking was a yummy distraction from the marriage stress (see post III).
Of course, it helps that the oven here at my uni flat actually works (yes, home oven, I'm dissing you) and that the kitchen window overlooks the canal. Makes for an all-around pleasant, therapeutic experience.

Oh, before I forget, did I mention I love curry?
It has the potential to take over the world.

Imagine though...
- a new soap on TV called Currynation Street. I'd watch it.
- a new nationwide school curryculum which taught you all about curry. I'd study it.
- a new McDonald's menu item called 'McCurry'. I'd eat- no, I'm lying, that sounds gross.
Curry flavoured ice-cream?
What a curr-azy idea.
:getmecoat:
(edited 7 years ago)
Aw that looks so good. O_O Post me some food pls, ily. :lovehug:

Imagine though...
- a new soap on TV called Currynation Street. I'd watch it.
- a new nationwide school curryculum which taught you all about curry. I'd study it.
- a new McDonald's menu item called 'McCurry'. I'd eat- no, I'm lying, that sounds gross.
Curry flavoured ice-cream?
What a curr-azy idea.
:getmecoat:

:rofl: No doubt 'TheOtherSide.' will love this bit. ^-^
Original post by Anon_98
Aw that looks so good. O_O Post me some food pls, ily. :lovehug:

Aw, thanks! Come and geddit, there's plenty left! :hugs:
Curry is indeed amazing, I mostly live on different fish curries and rice. I have a separate rice cooker for myself at home. :u: Rice is also life :colonhash:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Curry is indeed amazing, I mostly live on different fish curries and rice. I have a separate rice cooker for myself at home. :u: Rice is also life :colonhash:

Oooh, sounds great! I really need to improve my fish curry game, tbh, only cooked it once! How dare I call myself a Bengali when I don't even cook fish... :lol:
And agreed, rice is also life! Khichuri, biryani, pilau, fried rice, name it. :coma:
Subbing, I can relate to so much! :rofl:

Spoiler

Original post by undercxver
Subbing, I can relate to so much! :rofl:

Spoiler

Yay, thank you! :hugs:

And sure! Post-exams, I'll be moving back home PERMANENTLY so there'll be plenty of South Asian tales to tell! :teehee:
I will post something about how my uni choice was bad (when looking at it from a desperate girl's p.o.v who is looking for rishtas) so keep a look out! :biggrin:
Oooh, sounds great! I really need to improve my fish curry game, tbh, only cooked it once! How dare I call myself a Bengali when I don't even cook fish... :lol:
And agreed, rice is also life! Khichuri, biryani, pilau, fried rice, name it. :coma:

Some people actually don't like Kichuri, those people should be staked. I'm actually learning to cook different dhal types at the moment. Starting off slowly, authentic South Asian food really is the best though, I always took it for granted as a kid :biggrin:

My favourite fish curries in no particular order, elish keema, tenga fish, small fish with orange peel (my gran makes this one the best so I'll learn it off of her)

Bask in the glory that is my rice :colonhash:

Snapchat-7072962219013881949.jpg

We have basmati white, basmati brown, regular brown and easy cook brown :smile:
Yay, thank you! :hugs:

And sure! Post-exams, I'll be moving back home PERMANENTLY so there'll be plenty of South Asian tales to tell! :teehee:
I will post something about how my uni choice was bad (when looking at it from a desperate girl's p.o.v who is looking for rishtas) so keep a look out! :biggrin:

How far is "home" for you from campus at the moment? :holmes:
Original post by Slowbro93
How far is "home" for you from campus at the moment? :holmes:

An hour/hour and a half tops! 40-something miles. :smile:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Some people actually don't like Kichuri, those people should be staked. I'm actually learning to cook different dhal types at the moment. Starting off slowly, authentic South Asian food really is the best though, I always took it for granted as a kid :biggrin:

My favourite fish curries in no particular order, elish keema, tenga fish, small fish with orange peel (my gran makes this one the best so I'll learn it off of her)

Bask in the glory that is my rice :colonhash:

Snapchat-7072962219013881949.jpg

We have basmati white, basmati brown, regular brown and easy cook brown :smile:

U wot m8? There are people out there who don't like kichuri? But...it's DAAL AND RICE TOGETHER MAKING MAGIC ON OUR TASTEBUDS. I don't..I...ugh. Time to get my assassinatin' on. :colonhash:

How do you keema-fy elish mach?! :redface:
An hour/hour and a half tops! 40-something miles. :smile:

Won't that make it difficult to commute in your final year? Especially if you don't have your own car. :3
Watching :teeth:

Latest