The Student Room Group

decline in nursing

Does anyone else think because of the student nursing bursaries being cut, that their will be a decline in nursing?
Many people do nursing because of the thought of no debts after uni, now everyone has to pay. I think that especially mature students will soon stop applying due to not wanting to take the risk of 30,000 in debt on top of a family and other commitments they have.
personally i still want to do nursing even though i will now have to pay, but what do you guys think?
Hi,
I agree with you I think exactly the same. I was hoping to join the navy as a nursing officer after university and now the only way I can get my degree paid for is if I join as a student nurse, meaning I have to work my way up to an officer which isn't great as officers in the forces get better pensions and a bigger leadership role, which is what I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong I don't mind working my way up, but the old system was a lot better. I'm hoping that the decline will prove to the government that they need to bring the NHS bursaries back. They want and need nurses so I don't understand why they believe that people being asked to pay will lead to an increase?
Its just really stupid like did they really think that cutting the bursaries would be a good thing, nursing and midwifery are one of the only courses where you have to work and go to uni, ontop of that you now have to pay for your travel to your placements so how does that make sense
It doesn't, hopefully they will change it once they realise the decline
Universities are expecting a shift in the age range of student nurses (and other AHPs) with these changes. Currently the average age of a student nurse is around 28, they're expecting the average age to drop to around 21, as older students are likely to no want to do a course that's going to lumber them with thousands of pounds of debt along with the salary they can expect to make as a qualified nurse.
Reply 5
do they think a shift in a age range a positive thing though? I would've thought it's pretty bad considering more mature people that go into nursing professions have had more time to develop and become more empathic or be more sure that it's what they want to do, IDK, I just think when you're a teenager it's really hard to even know what you want to do.
I honestly think cutting the NHS bursaries is one stupid thing to do as they already complain there aren't enough nurses, yet they still don't employ enough, so many NHS problems it's sad......I'm praying it never becomes fully privatised!!!!!!
Original post by Galaxies
do they think a shift in a age range a positive thing though? I would've thought it's pretty bad considering more mature people that go into nursing professions have had more time to develop and become more empathic or be more sure that it's what they want to do, IDK, I just think when you're a teenager it's really hard to even know what you want to do.
I honestly think cutting the NHS bursaries is one stupid thing to do as they already complain there aren't enough nurses, yet they still don't employ enough, so many NHS problems it's sad......I'm praying it never becomes fully privatised!!!!!!

No, I don't think it's a positive thing. A large number of people go into nursing as mature students, often after stating families and so on. I found being older meant I had a lot more emotional maturity than I did when I was 18 and it helped me cope with some of the situations I was thrust into as a student.

They were bound to come for bursaries sooner or later, I'm not surprised by the changes that are being made. They're mental if they think this will lead to more students training, they've said that a removal on the cap of numbers will do this, but they've not thought about how we look after students on clinical placements, we already struggle to appropriately place students and support them as there's a shortage of trained mentors. Saturating the market with pre reg students will only exacerbate this.

Quick Reply

Latest