The Student Room Group

How to convert ml/min -1 to ml/mil?

This is for a science paper but I guess this a maths question.

It asks me how much of a substance is produced in 1 minute. The previous answer to the previous question was, say, 50 ml/min to the minus one (can't insert the proper notation here).

So how do I get ml/min-1 into ml/min?

Thanks. I know this is probably really basic, I just can't remember it.
Reply 1
Original post by KatieBlogger
This is for a science paper but I guess this a maths question.

It asks me how much of a substance is produced in 1 minute. The previous answer to the previous question was, say, 50 ml/min to the minus one (can't insert the proper notation here).

So how do I get ml/min-1 into ml/min?

Thanks? I know this is probably really basic, I just can't remember it.

Are you sure the question says 50mlmin1\displaystyle 50 \, \, \frac{\text{ml}}{\text{min}^{-1}}? If so, that's very weird. Could you possibly post a picture of the question or so?
Original post by Zacken
Are you sure the question says 50mlmin1\displaystyle 50 \, \, \frac{\text{ml}}{\text{min}^{-1}}? If so, that's very weird. Could you possibly post a picture of the question or so?

Hi, sorry I think I may not have been clear. It's written as 50 ml min-1 (the -1 is to the power of).

I'm trying to work out what that is just in normal minutes.
Reply 3
Hi, sorry I think I may not have been clear. It's written as 50 ml min-1 (the -1 is to the power of).

I'm trying to work out what that is just in normal minutes.

Ha, that makes much more sense. The -1 as the power simply means 50mlmin1=50mlmin50 \, \, \text{ml} \, \, \text{min}^{-1} = 50 \, \, \frac{\text{ml}}{\text{min}}.

I.e: You read 50 ml min-1 as 50 ml/min as 50 ml per minute as in one minute, there is 50 ml.
Original post by Zacken
Ha, that makes much more sense. The -1 as the power simply means 50mlmin1=50mlmin50 \, \, \text{ml} \, \, \text{min}^{-1} = 50 \, \, \frac{\text{ml}}{\text{min}}.

I.e: You read 50 ml min-1 as 50 ml/min as 50 ml per minute as in one minute, there is 50 ml.

Thanks so much. Would you mind explaining what the minus 1 means and why it needs to be there?
Reply 5
Thanks so much. Would you mind explaining what the minus 1 means and why it needs to be there?

Do you know your indices laws? ab\frac{a}{b} is another way of writing ab1ab^{-1}. So when we write something to the power minus one, we really mean 1/something. But we use the minus one to save space.

Quick Reply

Latest