The Student Room Group

Whats the worst experience you've had from a delivery service?

So far we've had, my boyfriends signature being faked today and our parcel being left somewhere where all of our 150+ neighbors have access to, one lost a parcel on a 25 mile journey and having a parcel given to people in the penthouses when i m stupidly scared of heights so freaked out having to go up there.

What have you experienced with deliveries?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
So far we've had, my boyfriends signature being faked today and our parcel being left somewhere where all of our 150+ neighbors have access to, one lost a parcel on a 25 mile journey and having a parcel given to people in the penthouses when i m stupidly scared of heights so freaked out having to go up there.

When I was younger we sent a small package to my aunt for her birthday (it was just a CD in a bubble envelope). We put her address on the front of the envelope and our address on the back (in the allocated space for a return address) and the package was delivered to us the next day. We complained and got a free book of stamps but ultimately all we could do was pop it back in the mail. It arrived for her the day after even though the envelope was exactly the same.

Over the past few years I've shopped online a lot so I have too many stories to tell. We've had packages delivered to houses on the next street and the people on the phone deny that it can happen until they look at the geo tracking system and realise that their driver did actually stop at the wrong address.

The most frustrating thing is in our new house (a new build and impossible to find on sat nav systems) is when drivers don't bother to call and ask how to find us, and instead take a picture of a dark pavement to 'prove' that they've visited the house and then mark us as not being in and answering the door. And even though three people are in the house and there's no calling card the delivery company still says that the driver must have been.

I called up one delivery company after two failed deliveries (we were in - they just didn't call us for directions) and was told that next time they'd send us one of the competent drivers. It was at Christmas and I think the temporary staff must have been the incompetent ones as since Christmas we've had very little trouble. Still, I would have thought that they'd get rid of incompetent drivers as they must cause more trouble than they're worth. And I definitely wouldn't expect them to admit to having them on the phone to a customer.
Original post by e hine e
When I was younger we sent a small package to my aunt for her birthday (it was just a CD in a bubble envelope). We put her address on the front of the envelope and our address on the back (in the allocated space for a return address) and the package was delivered to us the next day. We complained and got a free book of stamps but ultimately all we could do was pop it back in the mail. It arrived for her the day after even though the envelope was exactly the same.

Over the past few years I've shopped online a lot so I have too many stories to tell. We've had packages delivered to houses on the next street and the people on the phone deny that it can happen until they look at the geo tracking system and realise that their driver did actually stop at the wrong address.

The most frustrating thing is in our new house (a new build and impossible to find on sat nav systems) is when drivers don't bother to call and ask how to find us, and instead take a picture of a dark pavement to 'prove' that they've visited the house and then mark us as not being in and answering the door. And even though three people are in the house and there's no calling card the delivery company still says that the driver must have been.

I called up one delivery company after two failed deliveries (we were in - they just didn't call us for directions) and was told that next time they'd send us one of the competent drivers. It was at Christmas and I think the temporary staff must have been the incompetent ones as since Christmas we've had very little trouble. Still, I would have thought that they'd get rid of incompetent drivers as they must cause more trouble than they're worth. And I definitely wouldn't expect them to admit to having them on the phone to a customer.

That's quite a frustrating mix of delivery mishaps. Taking a picture of a pavement is absolutely ridiculous, i hope you told them you would never use their services again, sometimes to me it seems like a case of laziness when we have problems. I didnt used to accept parcels for neighbours at all but after so many problems myself, i ve started taking them so i know then that person will definitely get their parcel.
Ordered a mug for work (it had the logo on it OK :erm: I was really excited) and wasn't in. Instead of them giving it to a neighbour, they went down the side alley and chucked it over the fence into the garden. Smashed to bits.

Thanks Hermes.
Original post by iEthan
Ordered a mug for work (it had the logo on it OK :erm: I was really excited) and wasn't in. Instead of them giving it to a neighbour, they went down the side alley and chucked it over the fence into the garden. Smashed to bits.

Thanks Hermes.

After us talking about them the other day, i looked up my hermes on a review site and every single one was two star or less so no idea how they still in business. My parcel safely got to someone by using yodel so i think i ll use them in future.
After us talking about them the other day, i looked up my hermes on a review site and every single one was two star or less so no idea how they still in business. My parcel safely got to someone by using yodel so i think i ll use them in future.

I did that too :colonhash: it filled me with confidence, as you can imagine :lol: terrible, terrible company. I'd go for Yodel at a push but I'll always prefer DHL or Royal Mail :yep:

I don't recall what it was, but something similar to Ethan. The box had tape around it that said fragile and they had chucked it over a fence into my garden. :/
I try hard not to order things online because I find it so annoying having to wait in for the delivery to come :/

Last time I ordered something the guy didn't even ring the doorbell he just posted one of those note things and stuck the parcel in the bin lmao.
Original post by iEthan
I did that too :colonhash: it filled me with confidence, as you can imagine :lol: terrible, terrible company. I'd go for Yodel at a push but I'll always prefer DHL or Royal Mail :yep:

DHL and royal mail are the only real good ones out there, they've always been brilliant with all of my stuff and the postman is pretty patient for people getting down to the hallway.
Original post by ravioliyears
I don't recall what it was, but something similar to Ethan. The box had tape around it that said fragile and they had chucked it over a fence into my garden. :/

Seems like lots of couriers like to throw things to deliver them :angry:
Original post by ashleymacleod
I try hard not to order things online because I find it so annoying having to wait in for the delivery to come :/

Last time I ordered something the guy didn't even ring the doorbell he just posted one of those note things and stuck the parcel in the bin lmao.

A bin is apparently a safe place it seems :P
DHL and royal mail are the only real good ones out there, they've always been brilliant with all of my stuff and the postman is pretty patient for people getting down to the hallway.

Love my postie :love: he's so nice! Such a shame that Hermes is so bad… I just don't understand how they could mess up so catastrophically across the country? :confused:
Seems like lots of couriers like to throw things to deliver them :angry:

It's really frustrating! Especially because we keep a note up on the window, which can be clearly seen from outside, and it said 'any deliveries please give to the house number _____' -_-
Original post by iEthan
Love my postie :love: he's so nice! Such a shame that Hermes is so bad… I just don't understand how they could mess up so catastrophically across the country? :confused:

Seems like they have horrendous communciation problems and no training. I've never had a bad postie :smile:
Original post by ravioliyears
It's really frustrating! Especially because we keep a note up on the window, which can be clearly seen from outside, and it said 'any deliveries please give to the house number _____' -_-

It's stupid when they ignore notes, i write in Caps in every delivery instructions do not give to neighbour and they barely ever listen.
Original post by iEthan

Thanks Hermes.

Wow, that is really terrible. Was it expensive.

I've mostly have good experiences with devilery drivers , they always seems really friendly.
The worst thing is when they say they are going to deliver the package between 9-10am and gory don't come to like 5 pm and you've wasted a whole day waiting on them!
Ordered a Thai bride for delivery, but they forgot to poke holes in the box and she was dead by the time she got here. Didn't get a refund. Very displeased.
Original post by iEthan

Thanks Hermes.

God that is just breathtakingly stupid.

I've used amazon and general couriers quite a bit, and never had anything like this happen :dontknow:

Every time I've not been in for a delivery there's been somewhere for me to go and pick it up.
Regularly (~90% of couriers) leave parcels at the petrol station, approximately 40 minutes walk from here, instead of driving to my home. Often they don't leave any message to say they've done this; the one that always does (Hermes) has the cheek to email saying they've 'left the parcel in our garage'. :indiff:

Once, we got a phone call from a nice person who saw a parcel of ours drop out of the back of the van in front of them. Fortunately, our phone number was on the label. :indiff:
Personally I've not had too many problems although Amazon did claim they'd attempted to deliver a parcel when they didn't even stop outside the house (I believe I'd paid for first class delivery). I called them up to ask what happened and they said the driver couldn't get to the house. Our cctv showed that the van had actually driven past it and there is nothing stopping the driver walking from the road to the door. They said they'd try again tomorrow and I told them to call me if they are having trouble finding the house. The next day they "attempted to deliver" again but didn't even stop by the house or call me. The automatic system claimed that they'd attempted delivery twice and I'd not been in both times so I had to collect it from their depot somewhere. I called them up to tell them that's BS as we have cctv proving they never actually knocked on the door and anyway I hadn't left the house at any point.

Oh and another time Amazon was supposed to deliver three CDs in separate packages on the same day. Three of them made it into the van but only two got delivered and they have no idea why. Annoyingly it was the only one that was actually hard to find and I'd bought the last one from Amazon.

Quick Reply

Latest