The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dan2194
what this only £95 towards a laptop. That not enough!!!!! DO THEY REALISE HOW HARD IT IS FOR DISABLED STUDENTS TO FIND A PART TIME JOB.

Should be at least £500

Disabled students are not wanted in Higher education
Buy a netbook from Cash Convertors?

What's the nature of your disability? I was statemented with dyslexia at uni and got a laptop, a voice recorder, pile of software...
Reply 2
Original post by Tootles
Buy a netbook from Cash Convertors?

What's the nature of your disability? I was statemented with dyslexia at uni and got a laptop, a voice recorder, pile of software...

I have a macbook air and Hp gaming laptop , so i dont need another laptop just think what they offer is not good enough.
Reply 3
Original post by Dan2194
what this only £95 towards a laptop. That not enough!!!!! DO THEY REALISE HOW HARD IT IS FOR DISABLED STUDENTS TO FIND A PART TIME JOB.

Should be at least £500

Disabled students are not wanted in Higher education

What makes you think this? Also; you may have only been given the amount you have because you already have a MacBook Air and HP gaming laptop?

I was given around £350 towards mine since I didn't already have one?
Reply 4
Original post by Deyesy
What makes you think this? Also; you may have only been given the amount you have because you already have a MacBook Air and HP gaming laptop?

I was given around £350 towards mine since I didn't already have one?

when was you given £350? this year

CUTS CUTs CUTS have been made

the laptop they want you to have cost £295 you pay the £200
DSA only pays £95
for an upgrade you pay everything except the £95 from DSA
Reply 5
Original post by Dan2194

DSA only pays £95
for an upgrade you pay everything except the £95 from DSA

ps there no money for eg note takers from DSA your uni/college has to fund this now
Non-medical helpersBand 1 Support Assistants: Library Support AssistantBand 1 Support Assistants: Practical Support AssistantBand 1 Support Assistants: Proof Reader, no funding from DSA your college uni has to fund this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Dan2194

DSA only pays £95
fo ran upgrade you pay everything except the £95 pound from DSA

I was given £350 around 3 years ago? I contributed around £200 to get a laptop with a better specification. Some people would argue you don't need a laptop because you already have a MacBook and gaming laptop?
Original post by Deyesy
I was given £350 around 3 years ago? I contributed around £200 to get a laptop with a better specification. Some people would argue you don't need a laptop because you already have a MacBook and gaming laptop?

PRSOM.
Sfe changed it so you have to pay the £200, which still saves you money on a laptop really. I never got one from dsa and kept my current pcs instead.
Reply 8
Original post by Deyesy

i never asked for a laptop, correct i dont need one, i was not referring to me, i explaining the cuts that have been made.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Dan2194
i never asked for a laptop i was not referring to me, i explaining the cuts that have been made.

People also can't be given things on a silver platter. I get Disabled Students Allowance myself and it's been absolutely amazing. What makes you think disabled students aren't wanted at university?
Reply 10
Original post by claireestelle
PRSOM.
Sfe changed it so you have to pay the £200, which still saves you money on a laptop really. I never got one from dsa and kept my current pcs instead.

how does it save you much money when DSA will only pay £95

it not worth the time applying for DSA
Original post by Dan2194
how does it save you much money when DSA will only pay £95

it not worth the time applying for DSA

You don't pay VAT through DSA.
Reply 12
Original post by Deyesy
People also can't be given things on a silver platter. I get Disabled Students Allowance myself and it's been absolutely amazing. What makes you think disabled students aren't wanted at university?

Are your parents rich or do live on a low income , , how people are affected by their disabilty is different.

clealry you alright Jack!!!!

I only want to be treated equal under the law!!!

No more special support grant either so more debt for disabled students
DSA judge it by if you already have a laptop that could run the recommended software on then you don't need one from them. Since you have a gaming laptop I'd assume they see it as being sufficient. And realistically, why should someone who already has two laptops get a third for free just because they feel entitled to it? As you said, the £95 is towards an upgrade, I'm sure if you had no laptop or one that couldn't run the software you need then you would get one for free.
Original post by Dan2194
Are your parents rich or do live on a low income , , how people are affected by their disabilty is different.

My family is on a low income. I have dyslexia and dyspraxia and was very greatful for everything DSA gave me, you can't expect stuff for free when all other poor non disabled students don't get free laptops. The law allows for reasonable adjustments and yes dsa isnt perfect but you can't expect everything.
Reply 15
You don't pay VAT through DSA.

what about time and hassle of dealing with the refunds from DSA filling in forms ect is a nightmare for me. I do not trust DSA team to refunded money ect

staff have been cut and so so rude on the phone like robots
Original post by Dan2194
what about time and hassle of dealing with the refunds from DSA filling in forms ect is a nightmare for me. I do not trust DSA team to refunded money ect

staff have been cut and so so rude on the phone like robots

My university disablity services helped me fill in the form and the second time round they were happy to accept a typed one rather than me handwriting it. Had no problems in the refunds department, the nhs and sfw handled that perfectly.
PRSOM.

Yeh, this was really great... I did actually pay a little bit extra (£99) to upgrade a couple of bits, but I love the laptop I've got... runs real smooth... Due to the loophole of actually owning a laptop, I'm have my current one, as well as the one I got from DSA... :biggrin:

Original post by Deyesy

So agree with this... not just the laptop, but everything else that you get is really so helpful, and who'd want to turn down £100 pa printing allowance :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Dan2194

My mum is on around £33,000 a year so I'd say we're not rich nor on a low income :smile: I'm not denying people are affected by their disability in different ways - when did I ever say they weren't?

You still haven't said why you think disabled students aren't wanted at university? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Charlotte49
DSA judge it by if you already have a laptop that could run the recommended software on then you don't need one from them. Since you have a gaming laptop I'd assume they see it as being sufficient. And realistically, why should someone who already has two laptops get a third for free just because they feel entitled to it? As you said, the £95 is towards an upgrade, I'm sure if you had no laptop or one that couldn't run the software you need then you would get one for free.

it not about me, actually i have 5 laptops , 4 smart phones ,2 tablets, macbook air , server and endless other tec and i never ask for any equipent and i dont want the rubbish sofware or samsongo mic that i never ask for or wanted.

i never ask for a free lap top???? i never even meet the assessor person who wrote my report either. My carer spoke over the phone and only asked for travel support at uni is 60miles from were i live. the assessor i meet left there job and did not complete my report , so another asessor did my reprt over the phone.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest