The Student Room Group

My dad just asked if I wanted to get engaged to a girl in a picture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BristolFresher15
Archaic culture and traditions.

I hate this kind of explanation the most, it's such a crap cop out answer. Oh yea it's tradition so we have to do it.
Well you can bloody justify any kind of behavior by saying "it's tradition".
It's just like the God of the Gaps argument we have no understanding of this thus God did it.
It's also just like saying you want to hurt yourself for no reason. It's tradition you do this regularly so it must be upheld.
There's no reasonable convincing explanations as to why you shouldn't be able to choose who you want to marry.
Reply 81
Original post by thefatone
I hate this kind of explanation the most, it's such a crap cop out answer. Oh yea it's tradition so we have to do it.
It's just like the God of the Gaps argument we have no understanding of this thus God did it.
It's also just like saying you want to hurt yourself for no reason. It's tradition you do this regularly so it must be upheld.
There's no reasonable convincing explanations as to why you shouldn't be able to choose who you want to marry.

you can choose who u want to marry in arranged marriage

The word is arranged not forced. You have a choice your parents were just your dating agency finding suitable matches.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with arranged marriages, forced marriages however have no place in any society.

If your dad says that girl looks hot want me to set you up with her? it's not exactly oppression.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MevMev
you can choose who u want to marry in arranged marriage

ah i see ok

Original post by Oilfreak1
The word is arranged not forced. You have a choice your parents were just your dating agency finding suitable matches.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with arranged marriages, forced marriages however have no place in any society.

i see alright i mixed things up, thanks for clarifying
ah i see ok

i see alright i mixed things up, thanks for clarifying

no worries to be fair to you there is a very thin line between the two and with docile enough children and backwards enough parents an arranged marriage can quickly become a forced one.
Original post by Oilfreak1

you then have conversations (with a third party present) to see if you're compatible, some will fail at this point due to a lack of "chemistry" or simple disagreements. If the two find each other agreeable they then get married - it might not be as romantic as meeting a stranger on the street but you will very likely have a functional and loving marriage with higher probability of success than meeting that elusive stranger and winding up forever alone/ bouncing between partners till you're 50. Both scenarios can lead to incompatible partners this isn't exclusive to either one.

I couldn't take you seriously after reading that part.
Original post by Anonymous
Seriously why are ppl acting if arranged marriages are the end of the world.
Believe it or not there are actually successful arranged marriages. Yes shock horror.
Srsly people grow up.

It's the principal of the matter that's important, namely the lack of a degree of personal choice regarding who you're going to spend the rest of your life with.

Considering life is finite, and you're going to have to spend the rest of it with someone who you might not want to be with, it could easily be construed as subjectively being the end of the world. Just because some people have successful arranged marriages, it doesn't mean yours will be successful.

So instead of employing the fallacious emotional argument, I'd suggest that you're the one who needs to grow up.
Yes it can. Knowing the person years b4 you marry them doesn't always lead to a successful marriage. There's no statistic.
Nor does it increase the likelihood of a successful marriage. You have no proof.

With arrange marriage you can take however long you want to marry someone so you get to know them properly. It doesn't just happen in a day.
You don't just look at photos, this may come as a shock but you actually sit in the persons house and talk to them in real life.

so you talk to them once and decide to get married zrranged marriges have to work ou as the people who do them dont believe in divorce
Original post by debs20153
so you talk to them once and decide to get married zrranged marries have to work ou as the people who do them dont believe in divorce

Except u talk more than once, and can even go on dates as long as theirs a guardian present, it's the old fashioned classy way of courting not to be confused with forced marriages.

People who get arranged marriages do believe in divorce it's halal, however I can't speak for Hindu/Sikh/Christian/Buddhist participants of arranged marriage.
Tell your dad to go **** himself. Ain't nobody marrying a girl they've only seen a picture of. Meet the girl in person so you know for yourself that she's a ***** then reject her to her face. It sends a clear message and everybody wins.
Original post by asif007
Tell your dad to go **** himself. Ain't nobody marrying a girl they've only seen a picture of. Meet the girl in person so you know for yourself that she's a ***** then reject her to her face. It sends a clear message and everybody wins.

Are you okay? :redface:
Original post by undercxver

Never been better. :smile:

His arranged marriage obviously didn't go well
Original post by asif007
Never been better. :smile:

How did you assume "she's a ***** ". :s:

Original post by UnknownRoyalist

LOOOOOOL :rofl:

I shouldn't be laughing. :redface:

What's your opinion on arranged marriages?
Original post by UnknownRoyalist

WRONG! I'm permanently single and I hope it stays that way. :wink:
Original post by asif007

Why? Have you had a bad experience with girls?
Why? Have you had a bad experience with girls?

No ****, Sherlock.
How did you assume "she's a ***** ". :s:

LOOOOOOL :rofl:

I shouldn't be laughing. :redface:

What's your opinion on arranged marriages?

I don't have one really. Haven't given it much thought- whatever floats people's boats I guess. Though I do remember reading somewhere that statistically they last longer than 'love marriages' in the west lol.

Wbu?

Original post by asif007

Spill the beans m8. There's something more to it based on your earlier response
Original post by asif007
No ****, Sherlock.

Calm your beef
Original post by asif007

Who hurt you bro?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending