The Student Room Group

How to treat a bad cough?

I've been in bed for the past 4 days with a type of virus (I think). Symptoms include feeling drowsy, headache, dizziness and worst of all, a nasty, frequently occurring cough. Any tips/methods on how to treat this condition?

Scroll to see replies

does honey work?
Original post by thefatone
does honey work?

I have 2 cups of tea with manuka honey everyday, helps temporarily but the cough soon returns with a vengeance :redface: Thanks for the reply though, any other tips?
Reply 3
You have no other solution but go to the doctor, I guess.
Original post by maria.x
You have no other solution but go to the doctor, I guess.

Seeing one today :smile:
Get some Lemsip down ya. Works for me every time.
Reply 6
omg same

LemSip is the only thing that makes me feel better, but it's like being waterboarded when the coughing fit begins because you cannot. breathe.

:frown: I actually went to the doctor, and it's just one of those things that'll take time, but eventually sort itself out

Get well soon!
Reply 7
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Seeing one today :smile:

Get well soon. :smile:
I've been in bed for the past 4 days with a type of virus (I think). Symptoms include feeling drowsy, headache, dizziness and worst of all, a nasty, frequently occurring cough. Any tips/methods on how to treat this condition?

Hi there, it does sound like a viral infection but would like to ask a few more questions if its ok (def confirm if it can be treated otc or if GP referral required):
1) are there any changes throughout the day (eg worse at night vs day),
2) any other symptoms (e.g. visual changes, sensitivity to light etc)
3) have you tried anything for it (like paracetamol)
4) do you suffer from any conditions
5) do you work with sheep (this question may seem random but can provide useful info as handling sheep can lead to some conditions)
Hey guys, thanks for all the positive responses. Having a nap now and will endeavour to reply to your posts later today :colondollar:
Original post by Novascope
Get some Lemsip down ya. Works for me every time.

Original post by Milzime
omg same

LemSip is the only thing that makes me feel better, but it's like being waterboarded when the coughing fit begins because you cannot. breathe.

:frown: I actually went to the doctor, and it's just one of those things that'll take time, but eventually sort itself out

Get well soon!

Having some lemsip now, causes temporary comfort. He told me exactly the same thing
Original post by quasa
Hi there, it does sound like a viral infection but would like to ask a few more questions if its ok (def confirm if it can be treated otc or if GP referral required):
1) are there any changes throughout the day (eg worse at night vs day),
2) any other symptoms (e.g. visual changes, sensitivity to light etc)
3) have you tried anything for it (like paracetamol)
4) do you suffer from any conditions
5) do you work with sheep (this question may seem random but can provide useful info as handling sheep can lead to some conditions)

Having just seen the doctor, he confirmed that is a viral infection. Nothing too serious but takes time to leave the body.

1) Marginally worse at night, but not by much
2) No
3) Advised not to
4) No
5) Haha, I do live around sheep but I don't work with them often nowadays
Having just seen the doctor, he confirmed that is a viral infection. Nothing too serious but takes time to leave the body.

1) Marginally worse at night, but not by much
2) No
3) Advised not to
4) No
5) Haha, I do live around sheep but I don't work with them often nowadays

cool. yeah, with viral respiratory tract infections, whilst there are drugs which can treat them, they only improve recovery by 1 day. you are better off letting it out of the system but if you have fever / pain ,take the occasional paracetamol.
make sure you drink plenty of fluids
Original post by quasa
cool. yeah, with viral respiratory tract infections, whilst there are drugs which can treat them, they only improve recovery by 1 day. you are better off letting it out of the system but if you have fever / pain ,take the occasional paracetamol.
make sure you drink plenty of fluids

Thank you :smile:
I had this horrible cough last night that tickled the **** out of my throat made me really nervy because it was so tickly and wouldn't stop. Is your cough a tickly one in the throat?
Thank you :smile:

this is good stuff:

Original post by Little Popcorns
I had this horrible cough last night that tickled the **** out of my throat made me really nervy because it was so tickly and wouldn't stop. Is your cough a tickly one in the throat?

Mines a violent one in a sense that my abdominal muscles are fully contracted every cough, which happens on at least 3 times per minute on average! Attempting to sleep/rest is a pain in the arse :colonhash:
Original post by the bear
this is good stuff:

Cheers, though the doctor advised me against medicine and instead to recover naturally?
I always squeeze a lot of lemons into hot water with honey and it always eases the coughing
Mines a violent one in a sense that my abdominal muscles are fully contracted every cough, which happens on at least 3 times per minute on average! Attempting to sleep/rest is a pain in the arse :colonhash:

nasty :/ is it phlegmsy or dry?

Quick Reply

Latest