The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Nottingham Uni vs York Uni - URGENT HELP?!

Hi, I'm trying to pick my firm and insurance unis and I'm really stuck!

I want to do geography and am debating between Nottingham Uni and York Uni for my firm choice and I really can't make up my mind

Both are asking for ABB and I'm probably going to put UEA as my insurance (also ABB)
York is environmental geography so it has much more science and maths than Nottingham's straight geography degree. The amount of science does intimidate me slightly as although I do A2 biology and did AS maths, I hate(d) them both and am not that good at them.

Nottingham has a really nice uni and a course but I really didn't like the city that much. Coming from London I wanted to live somewhere a bit nicer or prettier like York

I really like both unis and I'm so stuck between them, so if anyone had any advice I'd be grateful!

- Do you know how much science and maths there is in environmental geography at York? If so, is it easy to handle?

- What's Nottingham like to live in as a student? (I only saw the main bits so I don't really know much)
- Is Nottingham safe? and is a nice city to be in?

Thank you, I would really appreciate any advice/ answers! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Haha this is crazy. I'm stuck between Nottingham and York too, so I'd like to see any answers to this thread too. I still haven't firmed either yet because I'm really so unsure! I like the atmosphere of York and the people but Nottingham's campus is just so nice! And Notts has the better nightlife. Defo leaning more towards York but I really can't decide.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Haha this is crazy. I'm stuck between Nottingham and York too, so I'd like to see any answers to this thread too. I still haven't firmed either yet because I'm really so unsure! I like the atmosphere of York and the people but Nottingham's campus is just so nice! And Notts has the better nightlife. Defo leaning more towards York but I really can't decide.

ahaha it's a tough decision! Of those I've spoken to, most people are pro-Notts but I still can't decide! I'm now also considering some other offers which is making my life even harder :afraid:
Reply 3
Original post by Hattie_Hats
Hi, I'm trying to pick my firm and insurance unis and I'm really stuck!

I want to do geography and am debating between Nottingham Uni and York Uni for my firm choice and I really can't make up my mind

Both are asking for ABB and I'm probably going to put UEA as my insurance (also ABB)
York is environmental geography so it has much more science and maths than Nottingham's straight geography degree. The amount of science does intimidate me slightly as although I do A2 biology and did AS maths, I hate(d) them both and am not that good at them.

Nottingham has a really nice uni and a course but I really didn't like the city that much. Coming from London I wanted to live somewhere a bit nicer or prettier like York

I really like both unis and I'm so stuck between them, so if anyone had any advice I'd be grateful!

- What's Nottingham like to live in as a student? (I only saw the main bits so I don't really know much)
- Is Nottingham safe? and is a nice city to be in?

Thank you, I would really appreciate any advice/ answers! :smile:

I did my undergrad at Notts and can confirm it's a great student city.

As far as nightlife goes it isn't quite up there with Manchester or Leeds but there is plenty of variety. Lots of student-oriented and upmarket clubs and a few decent live music venues. There is always something going on, although it can get a little boring on the weekends as most club nights and athletics socials take place during the week.

As with most cities in the UK there are some dangerous parts, but as a student you are unlikely to wind up in any of them. Most people live in Lenton after first year which is a predominantly student suburb and is very safe. Nottingham has a reputation for gun crime but I never even heard of any shootings taking place the whole time I was there. The violent crime seems to be confined to the really rough neighbourhoods.

If you're looking for shopping on par with Oxford Street and Westfields you might be disappointed, however there is no shortage of outlets and there are some great restaurants in and around town.

I should mention that Nottingham is a very white and middle class uni, which isn't a problem within itself but is something to bear in mind. That said there is a very large international contingent, and even if you live in halls you can decide who you want to spend the majority of your time with outside lectures.

Overall Nottingham is a great, well-rounded city. I know people from London who studied there and who are always going back up to visit friends and for nights out, as well as a few people who have stayed behind for postgrad study and work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending