The Student Room Group

Article: It’s not too late! Ten ways to kick start your revision

Can’t get started on revision? Anxiety building as the days tick by and the dire warnings of family and teachers echo round your head?

Take a deep breath and fear not.

It’s really not too late.

Here’s some suggestions from our very own tame teacher to get you out of procrastination and into learning action.

And to make the suggestions super-helpful we’ve rated them for easiness (10 being totally easy) and effectiveness (10 being the most effective). But remember that different techniques work for different people and that you can combine these approaches to suit your own learning style.

Decide which works for you and get going. Procrastination ends here. View the full article here.
I never know how to start my revision, I've made a list of everything that i need to learn for each subject, i've bought colourful paper, stationery and flashcards but still no luck....help?
Reply 2
Original post by simmie1602
I never know how to start my revision, I've made a list of everything that i need to learn for each subject, i've bought colourful paper, stationery and flashcards but still no luck....help?

I had the exact same problem! I say dive in at the deep end and start off by doing one or two papers for each subject. Go through once without any notes, then grab another colour pen and use your notes to add in corrections. You'll probably find you know more than you think. After you've done a few papers, you'll have a better idea of what you need to revise too.
Hope this helps xx
Reply 3
I think revision is exactly like your diarea.
Reply 4
How about if you haven't started revision at all for AS exams? 4 weeks of just past papers? 4 a day on week days and 10 on week ends?

Thoughts????
Fundamentally, everyone learns in the same way. Deeply understand the material, then memorise it. Some people claim to be visual learners, auditory learners, etc... Yeah, it can increase proficiency, but it doesn't change how you should revise necessarily.

1. Break the material down in to simple language. If your grandma can understand it, you're on point.
2. Load your revision onto Anki (SRS) flashcards.
3. Repeat.

Regards,
Scott.

Founder at Peak Preparation and Creator of the Didn't Study? It's Not Too Late Method
Original post by Lazy911
How about if you haven't started revision at all for AS exams? 4 weeks of just past papers? 4 a day on week days and 10 on week ends?

Thoughts????

It's certainly not too late. How you prepare will vary according to subjects and level.
If you're using past papers, make sure you mark your answers using the mark scheme (or swap answers with a friend). Identify your weak areas and concentrate on them.
What subjects are you studying?
Reply 7
Original post by The Learn Ranger
It's certainly not too late. How you prepare will vary according to subjects and level.
If you're using past papers, make sure you mark your answers using the mark scheme (or swap answers with a friend). Identify your weak areas and concentrate on them.
What subjects are you studying?

Maths, chemistry and economics, all at AS level!

I'm really scared as everyone is telling I've left it too late...
This page is a god send :tongue:
Original post by Lazy911

Don't worry about what anyone else says. You need to be positive and stop beating yourself up.

Plan out the remaining time you have sensibly. A day-by-day plan will give you an idea of how much revision you can get through in the time available - this might reassure you as you'll find it's quite a lot. You can make a simple plan or TSR has its own more detailed revision planner.

Once you know what's possible you need to work out how best to revise. Different methods work for different people but make sure regular testing and past papers are part of your approach.

Let me know how you get on and good luck!
Original post by Lazy911

Thoughts????

Make a list of every topic for each subject.Count how many there are and divide by the number of days to your exam and that's how many bitesize chunks you have to revise each day. Do it for each subject.
for Example I have to do:

2 Chemistry topics per day (ie Atoms and Isotopes, Relative Mass)
3 Physics per day (ie Linear Momentum, collisions, Newtons third law)
4 Classics per day (Solon, Book 6 Odyssey, Chapter 43 the Constitution, Key themes)
5 Biology chunks per day. (Water Structure, CVD, Circulation, Heart structure, Blood vessels)
Original post by Lazy911

Make a list of every topic for each subject.Count how many there are and divide by the number of days to your exam and that's how many bitesize chunks you have to revise each day. Do it for each subject.
for Example I have to do:

2 Chemistry topics per day (ie Atoms and Isotopes, Relative Mass)
3 Physics per day (ie Linear Momentum, collisions, Newtons third law)
4 Classics per day (Solon, Book 6 Odyssey, Chapter 43 the Constitution, Key themes)
5 Biology chunks per day. (Water Structure, CVD, Circulation, Heart structure, Blood vessels)
First look for some revision notes available online eg. Chemrevise.org or CGP revision book and then start to do past papers probably you would be able answer to 30-40% of the question for the other question that you don't know the answers for them dind the answers in the notes and try to learn them or if you feel confident try to learn from mark schemes
Reply 13
Original post by Kianoosh119
First look for some revision notes available online eg. Chemrevise.org or CGP revision book and then start to do past papers probably you would be able answer to 30-40% of the question for the other question that you don't know the answers for them dind the answers in the notes and try to learn them or if you feel confident try to learn from mark schemes

25 days till my first exam, 21 days on past papers?

I love using YouTube to watch videos on the subjects and taking screenshots of useful notes made on screen by the creator of the video, it means you don't have to spend the time making notes yourself but are effective so you can review them after the video to memorise important parts! If you're doing your gcses I would 100% recommend mygcsescience and for maths a lot of people like Corbett maths, hope this helps you, good luck

I know this is a super-late reply, but it could still be useful to other people =)

Sometimes doing all of that only enhances procrastination (you spend too much time actually making your work look pretty than writing up notes) and some people just don't learn using colour -I actually find colour a distraction.

The ultimate way to make sure you're ready is to buy a revision guide, that summarises the topics for you and has questions (with answers!) so you can test yourself. If you can't afford to spend that much money on all your subjects, then make your own (Yes, more time consuming, but just as effecive!) Write up all your notes in a book, and attempt some questions -found either on your textbook or the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending