The Student Room Group

One guy giving another guy a compliment

Ok so is this weird, as in gay?

The other day I met this guy on a possible course I could start and met this guy, who when he spoke to me looked me straight in the eyes and raised his eyebrows, along with that he also told me I had nice boots.

I didn't think anything of it at the time, but many people has said it was weird, was it?
Yeah its so fricking gay like stay away from him unless u want 2 die of AIDS init
Seriously though omfg what are you, 14? Grow up!
Reply 2
Oh jeez

No what is so absurd about 1 man complimenting another i mean seriously i kno us men can sometimes SEEM COLD AND DISTANT BUT DOESN'T MEAN WE'RE HEARTLESS yeah
Reply 3
I'm gay but I have straight male friends and one of them complimented another friend's shirt. They seemed fine with it. I've had more instances where I saw straight guys complimenting other straight guys (not in an obviously gay way, ie you look handsome etc).

Really it depends on the type of people you're around I think...
How does that seem strange to you? He gave you a honest compliment based on what you wore that day. I receive compliments very regularly and I don't think anything of it.
How is giving a compliment gay? I compliment my friends all the time, I'm a girl and they are girls its not a big deal, don't see why it would be different with guys?
Reply 6
I used to compliment my male friends like I would my female friends but I got sick of the looks and jokes 'cause it's apparently Gay. It's nice to be nice, Jerks :colonhash:
I just stopped complimenting people outright.
If he were trying to hit on you then the comment would probs have been something flirty, not saying you have nice boots lol.

It's actually kinda offensive that you equated being gay with being weird and that you're so worried about the comment he made. He was probably trying to make friends, and if he was somehow trying to flirt then I would take it as a compliment. :tongue:

There isn't anything weird or wrong about being gay, you don't have to be so uptight about it!
Like I said I thought nothing of it, it's everyone else who did.

Original post by BWV1007
I'm gay but I have straight male friends and one of them complimented another friend's shirt. They seemed fine with it. I've had more instances where I saw straight guys complimenting other straight guys (not in an obviously gay way, ie you look handsome etc).

Really it depends on the type of people you're around I think...
Nothing wrong per se, depends on what the complement is about.
Original post by Coolisbelieveing
Like I said I thought nothing of it, it's everyone else who did.

Yeah it's gonna depend on the type of company you have... don't worry about it though unless the guy's asked for your number or something he probably doesn't like you in that way.
Original post by Coolisbelieveing
Ok so is this weird, as in gay?

The other day I met this guy on a possible course I could start and met this guy, who when he spoke to me looked me straight in the eyes and raised his eyebrows, along with that he also told me I had nice boots.

I didn't think anything of it at the time, but many people has said it was weird, was it?

No, I tell my male friends if they have nice skin, good hair or like a good jaw or whatever and I don't find it gay, considering he complimented your clothes and not you, that's even farther removed.
You remind me of my brother that thinks it's gay to admit another guy is attractive.:facepalm:

No, it doesn't make you gay. Straight women call each other beautiful/pretty/attractive all the time.
Original post by loveleest
You remind me of my brother that thinks it's gay to admit another guy is attractive.:facepalm:

No, it doesn't make you gay. Straight women call each other beautiful/pretty/attractive all the time.

How old is your brother?
Original post by help4exams
How old is your brother?

Reply 16
Why would it matter if he was gay anyway? I'd still take the compliment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by loveleest

It's fine that's still quite young, not that I'm much older (17) but give him time to grow out of it
if he said "you have nice eyes" or "your muscles are well toned" then that would be different from commenting on your footwear :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending