The Student Room Group

Can we have a ban on muslim threads?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dozyrosie
Where are all these muslim bashing posts, I have not seen them, point them out.

They often get reported but here is a recent one:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4020637&page=6&highlight=&p=64177659#post64177659
Original post by QE2
You mean, "only debate with people who agree with you"?
That's what happens already. Most Muslim apologists on TSR cannot construct a rational argument in defence of the unacceptable elements of Islamic ideology. That's why they all retreat to the safe space of ISOC, where the constant plattitudes and misrepresentations can go unchallenged.

A very intellectually healthy situation, I'm sure you will agree.

No, I don't mean that one should "only debate with people who agree with you." I mean that debate should be free and progressive. The reason for a debate is to either reach a solution or conclusion or to advance the debaters' knowledge.

The major problem with modern-day debates is that people are arguing for argument's sake. They want to "debate" against another person because of some emotional reaction that requires some sort of solution. For example, one hears the debates on Islam and many of these debaters have no idea what true Islam is or stands for. They listen to some rubbish on the news and read some unsubstantiated statistic and then use that to progress their ignorance.

Yes, I agree that some people are unable to adequately present reasonable arguments to a cause, but this goes both ways. I would not say most apologists because neither you nor I know the total number of Muslim apologists on TSR and therefore will be difficult to quantify to successfully back up that claim.

The big issue that we have on TSR is that a lot of people, when pushed and shoved, have just fickle regurgitation of "facts", which when critically analyzed come out to be half-truths or outright lies.
Original post by QE2
Try me.
You'll get no insults or fallacies, and only authoritative scriptural references will be used.
You can even pick the subject.

No, I will not try you.

I am not one of those TSR users that just argue for argument sake. I believe that debates should be in the pursuit of truth and reason.
Reply 103
Original post by Wired_1800
No, I will not try you.

I am not one of those TSR users that just argue for argument sake. I believe that debates should be in the pursuit of truth and reason.
You pick the subject, and we can attempt to arrive at a reasonable conclusion.
You were bemoaning the lack of such discourse. Well, here's your opportunity to do something about it.
You and DarkVibes were banging on about all the ignorant, bigoted Islamophobes who can't construct a proper argument, spoiling it for the more intellectually accomplished among us. Now you can show us what you're made of.
Original post by QE2
You pick the subject, and we can attempt to arrive at a reasonable conclusion.
You were bemoaning the lack of such discourse. Well, here's your opportunity to do something about it.
You and DarkVibes were banging on about all the ignorant, bigoted Islamophobes who can't construct a proper argument, spoiling it for the more intellectually accomplished among us. Now you can show us what you're made of.

Haha, I am sorry but I decline your offer.
Reply 105
Original post by Wired_1800
Haha, I am sorry but I decline your offer.
Well, stop complaining that there is no proper debate on here.

(Don't worry, I knew that you wouldn't take up my offer. :wink: )
Original post by QE2
Is criticising or condemning an ideology that promotes slavery, sex with slaves, domestic violence, gender discrimination, religious oppression and the killing of innocent people, "Islamophobic"?

If it is, can you explain why you see Islamophobia as a bad thing?

Thanks.

No, criticizing an ideology does not directly translate to Islamophobia. However, when your criticism is constantly and persistently targeted to a certain thing, I think that it stems from a strong fear or phobia for that thing. For example, a strong criticism against the actions of homosexuals have been aptly labelled as Homophobia. So, if one constantly and persistently criticizes Islam in a manner that borders strong fear, then it will be classed as Islamophobia.

If you are in doubt, just listen to the news about migration to Western countries in Europe or North America. The two tenets against the anti-immigration rhetoric is that "these people will come and take away our livelihoods e.g. jobs or benefits" or "these people will come and change our culture to Islam". These are stories that you hear on the news, even though those refugees coming to Europe are not all from Syria or pre-dominantly Muslim countries.

The ideology that you stated, which Islam promotes, is also present in Christianity and Judaism. It is in the Old Scriptures, where it is written, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." This clearly instructs revenge, retaliation and violence. It is also the Christian Knights that went out on the Crusades to kill in the name of God and His Holy Church. There are instructions clearly written in the scriptures that have supported these same actions. However, you will not see anyone castigate a Jew or a Christian for their 'ideologies'. Castigating a Jewish person is immediately labelled as Anti-semitism and you are done for.

Islam is a religion of 1.3 billion people. The idea that all these people are blood-thirsty with a sole aim of destroying the West is completely ridiculous. Someone said that if Muslims really wanted to destroy the West of about 1.2 billion people, surely by now they would have done so with all the Muslim doctors, teachers, soldiers, counselors, Judges, police officers and so on.

Look, I am not a religious cleric and I do not have many decades of knowledge on this subject matter. I just say it from my personal knowledge from reading books and engaging in rational discussions with others. My major concern about these "fierce" debates about Islam (or any other religion or beliefs) is that not everyone that debates the subject know enough to do so. I have also seen this in racial matters and racism debates. I have seen it in Gay rights debates, even in other significant discourses like Assistant Dying.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest