The Student Room Group

What does it mean/feel to be......

black?
white?
Asian?
female?
male?
lgbt?

I mean like how does it feel to have certain stereotypes put upon you and how do you cope...?
for example, i'm Chinese and i'm so crap at maths omfg. everyone at school literally always says things like "how can you not solve this equation - you're Asian?, wtf" lol.
sometimes it's funny but other times it gets on my nerves and upsets me because people don't see my interest in acting and other stuff i'm good at (especially my parentsss)
Just wanted to see how other people feel or are affected.:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I'm white, female and gay
I've grown up in a predominately white area and I've never experienced any specific treatment because of my skin colour
Being a girl hasn't really changed anything for me personally either, I've been brought up with a typical 'giry' upbringing I guess so I fit into some stereotypes but again, nothing major.
Being gay, I've felt excluded at times I guess, I'm not out to a ton of people, it's difficult making friends sometimes as I'm scared they might judge me but I've never actually experienced direct homophobia so meh
Although I am aware of my race, gender, etc. I feel more like myself, an individual rather than as a collection of categories.
Nowadays you can be Polish and still call yourself black so idek anymore
Original post by QuibblerWaffle
Nowadays you can be Polish and still call yourself black so idek anymore

I don't see how that is even contentious, one is a nationality and the other is a skin colour?
I feel cool
White, English, male, straight
Original post by Dinasaurus
I don't see how that is even contentious, one is a nationality and the other is a skin colour?

Joke. Chill.
Joke. Chill.

What was the joke?
Original post by annpeepo

for example, i'm Chinese and i'm so crap at maths omfg. everyone at school literally always says things like "how can you not solve this equation - you're Asian?, wtf" lol.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ForestShadow

I'm sure break dancers are literally stereotyped to be asian.
I'm sure break dancers are literally stereotyped to be asian.

B-boying or breaking, also called breakdancing, is a style of street dance that originated primarily among African American and Puerto Rican youth, many former members of the Black Spades, the Young Spades, and the Baby Spades, during the mid 1970s.

Success by country in major bboy tournaments (most wins first)

Korea
France
USA
Germany
Britain
Russia
Japan
Hungary
Canada
Italy
Switzerland
Netherlands
Apart from korea, and Im not korean, its mostly france/usa
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ForestShadow
B-boying or breaking, also called breakdancing, is a style of street dance that originated primarily among African American and Puerto Rican youth, many former members of the Black Spades, the Young Spades, and the Baby Spades, during the mid 1970s.

Success by country

The following table only takes into consideration
Korea
France
USA
Germany
Britain
Russia
Japan
Hungary
Canada
Italy
Switzerland
Netherlands
Apart from korea, and Im not korean, its mostly france/usa

Every time I've watched like Americas Best Dance crew, they've been Asian, when I think of like artists dancing I think of like Korean pop. Or people like D-Trix, I think of Koreans or Filipinos.
Every time I've watched like Americas Best Dance crew, they've been Asian, when I think of like artists dancing I think of like Korean pop. Or people like D-Trix, I think of Koreans or Filipinos.

Yeah thats fair enough I guess but I also do streetdance and theres way more non asians there, Im chinese specifically so being korean and filipino is way different for me:tongue:
What was the joke?

The fact that 'being black' nowadays tends to be defined by the way you may walk/talk, the type of music you listen to and how you style your hair etc, rather than your actual race.

Twas a joke because a small amount of people who aren't black refer to themselves as a certain race through the expectations/identity society has set on them even though I wouldn't exactly say that's what determines your race.

Spoiler

White, Male.

As a male is expected that I'm confident and take lead whenever possible. Truth is I'm not confident and I like to keep to myself!
I also don't fit into the British stereotype. I'm more American than anything. The British are too sane for me. The Americans are awesome and I feel like I fit in there more than I do here!
But yeah, because I'm quiet, everyone thinks there's something wrong with me and decides that the best thing to do is to try and force me to speak all the time. All that does is make me irritated and want to speak even less
If they don't stop then I start to get aggressive (they usually get the idea then).
I don't like it! I think women should be able to lead as much as men. They're certainly capable (if not more) than us!
I feel human, like everyone else.
The fact that 'being black' nowadays tends to be defined by the way you may walk/talk, the type of music you listen to and how you style your hair etc, rather than your actual race.

Twas a joke because a small amount of people who aren't black refer to themselves as a certain race through the expectations/identity society has set on them even though I wouldn't exactly say that's what determines your race.

Spoiler

If you think me replying to you is taking something too seriously then you scare me.
Reply 17
I feel like Pablo
Reply 18
Original post by Roxy1331
I feel human, like everyone else.

what does a human feel like
If you think me replying to you is taking something too seriously then you scare me.

Bye:ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest