The Student Room Group

Youtuber Tobuscus accused of rape

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Easily faked I'm afraid. They are friends and also the second account has just as much evidence as the original: 0.

I know they can be faked. I was making zero comment on the veracity of any of the claims made.
Original post by SmashConcept
was he seriously just like "oh sorry for drugging you the other night lol xx"

that is an actual piece of evidence for a real thing that has happened?

Unfortunately I have lived through something like this, still on the sidelines though and the guy used to be a friend and was ultimately convicted for what he did (which was similar to what tobuscus is being accused of). It was one of the most incredibly difficult things to life through and none of it happened to me, but I truly believe that he never saw what he did as wrong, never really saw it as rape. It's why I believe the screenshots because they are almost identical to other ones I have seen.
Original post by garfeeled
I know they can be faked. I was making zero comment on the veracity of any of the claims made.

Fair enough. I apologise :smile:.

Original post by Lord Samosa
She should be pressing charges, not making YouTube videos about it. Otherwise it's hard to see it as true.

Indeed. Even if it were true, doing it in this fashion screams vindictive.
Unfortunately I have lived through something like this, still on the sidelines though and the guy used to be a friend and was ultimately convicted for what he did (which was similar to what tobuscus is being accused of). It was one of the most incredibly difficult things to life through and none of it happened to me, but I truly believe that he never saw what he did as wrong, never really saw it as rape. It's why I believe the screenshots because they are almost identical to other ones I have seen.

wait your friend drugged someone? that's whack
Rape is a dreadful thing. But even if that's not true, from the little I've seen, he seems unhinged and an overall toxic person.

Also, if everyone that dated him felt the above way, why the hell would you stay with him for so long?!
(edited 7 years ago)
I hate tobuscus, but I hate "accusations" of rape as well. If she wants any credibility she needs to take it to court

People making their minds up about him because he's "the sort of person to make me do that" makes me uncomfortable.

Spoiler

Now most are capable of doing great evil in the right circumstances but I'm a firm believer of innocent until proving guilty.
Original post by BristolFresher15
Also, if everyone that dated him felt the above way, why the hell would you stay with him for so long?!
Love is intoxicating and addictive. He might have other appealing traits which drew people in. A common comment was that he felt really grateful for the attention people displayed and he made people feel like they were his no.1 as long as they were "yes men". Dating him was probably quite a validating experience and he no doubt apologised profusely if his gfs left.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jblackmoustache
They should be handled as accusations. Anyone who says it's BS is just assuming.

Indeed -- all that anyone has either way is assumption, since this doesn't seem to have been backed up by evidence or even concrete action. Until we have one of those I would proceed exactly as though I hadn't seen this.

I realise this is the narcissistic world that youtubers live in, but I do not approve of this trend of making public accusations with nothing further. It does no-one any favours at all, unless you consider this sort of attention favourable.
People making their minds up about him because he's "the sort of person to make me do that" makes me uncomfortable.

Because if I were accused of something, say murder, I can imagine the press saying "Kvothe was a loner. He didn't have many friends and spent a lot of his time on his computer using forums.". They could quite easily spin me into an autistic secluded freak who was capable of the crime.
(I am actually on the spectrum. I wasn't using autistic as a slur)

Now most are capable of doing great evil in the right circumstances but I'm a firm believer of innocent until proving guilty.
Love is intoxicating and addictive. He might have other appealing traits which drew people in. A common comment was that he felt really grateful for the attention people displayed and he made people feel like they were his no.1 as long as they were "yes men". Dating him was probably quite a validating experience and he no doubt apologised profusely if his gfs left.

Well in my case it's more due to the feeling of deja vu. With both the apparent texts and the definite context of what has happened.

To borrow your comparison it would be more like you being accused of committing a racially motivated murder and then being discovered as a member of stormfront. It's certainly not a smoking gun but it fits. I haven't read or watched anything by any of them but everything you are saying just matches my experience in the issue. Narcacistic yet contradictory seemingly somewhat self hating, obsessive and manipulative and hostile to resistance.

The alternative is that the two main accusers are lying or misunderstood what happened. The former is far less likely as being true than that which he is being accused of whilst the latter is also unlikely given the descriptiveness of the claim.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Indeed -- all that anyone has either way is assumption, since this doesn't seem to have been backed up by evidence or even concrete action. Until we have one of those I would proceed exactly as though I hadn't seen this.

I don't like the reactions to the issue and I have my opinion on the way it's handled but I have no idea what happened. I maintain that both possibilities are possible at this point.

I realise this is the narcissistic world that youtubers live in, but I do not approve of this trend of making public accusations with nothing further. It does no-one any favours at all, unless you consider this sort of attention favourable.

Agreed.
(edited 7 years ago)
KEEMSTAR just posted this: https://twitter.com/KEEMSTAR/status/721105313861103617

But some people are saying its fake. If it's real though.... rip Toby
Who cares? Youtuber, trigger warning, wild rape accusaiton, All of those make me want to take the one-way ticket to Mars.
Original post by Mochassassin
Aaaah, I was about to make a thread about this - good job I searched it up first!
I'm watching various videos on it - so many exes have spoken out about it. :redface:
Melanie Murphy is one of them (just to add to your list).
Though feeling "compelled" to take ecstasy is surely your own decision? Isn't it a bit silly to blame Toby for a conscious decision you make? :dontknow:

There's a lot of preamble. What did you think of her account?

Hey. THanks for your reply. I've seen her video.

Video

(edited 7 years ago)
And I was rapes by Mr Blobby #pleasegivemeattentionandmoney
I don't like the reactions to the issue and I have my opinion on the way it's handled but I have no idea what happened. I maintain that both possibilities are possible at this point.

Likewise.

I agree. It is always theoretically possible that any public figure has committed any sort of horrific crime. I don't think we should treat any such mere possibility as anything more than that until there is at the very least something concrete pointing towards it.

I don't feel strongly inclined to judge the girl, either. It's entirely possible that every word she says is true, in which case she's the victim here. But that's precisely the problem with this sort of public accusation. We can't do anything with it in either direction.

So, in summary: :dontknow:
Deranged bitter jealous feminazi... **** goes sour so she gets vindictive

Provide proof or shut up
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I agree. It is always theoretically possible that any public figure has committed any sort of horrific crime. I don't think we should treat any such mere possibility as anything more than that until there is at the very least something concrete pointing towards it.

I don't feel strongly inclined to judge the girl, either. It's entirely possible that every word she says is true, in which case she's the victim here. But that's precisely the problem with this sort of public accusation. We can't do anything with it in either direction.

So, in summary: :dontknow:

That's the problem, she has made it so public that I for one don't believe a word. If she was telling the truth, surely the first thing would be to go to the police? Get a lawyer? Not make such a huge accusation that could destroy him.

Unless she went to the police and they ignored her for whatever reason, then she has done the right thing. But I don't think that has happened, so that's that.

The question is, apart from some text messages that prove absolutely nothing, what other evidence does she have?
He said he dated her 'a few years ago', seems like a long time. So I my guess is, not much evidence (of course I could be wrong).
I always find it telling how the people who often say things like "Innocent until proven guilty" (which is something I agree with before anyone says anything) and gets annoyed at people forming a lynch mob against those accused of rape. Also tend to be the people who immediately jump to the conclusion that the girl is a "liar" or "doing it for attention" or that "if it was true she would have gone to court".

People like that are as bad as the people who internet lynch mob people accused of rape.

Truth is, not a single one of us have a clue whether rape did or did not happen. And chances are we never will know.
People are saying they are shocked by the allegations, so let me clarify. We live in a world where women feel the need to tarnish mens image for success; we live in a world where the idea of consent is being challenged and our preconcieved correct beliefs on it might not be true. We are experiencing a small group of feminists try to a create a full on attack on society for no reason. I don't believe its hard to realise that based on all of the things thats been going on that a woman would call out rape when she either regretted her actions or had no self control.
Reply 39
With regards to the new video from Keemstar about the DMs from "Toby" - the guy clicks on a new tab to go to Toby's profile instead of clicking off of the DMs, which makes it look fake. Additionally, the date on the message is "13th November 2014" so it's highly unlikely to be about the same situation.

Been following this closely since it came out earlier in the week - current opinion is that Toby is an ******* but not a rapist, could change as more evidence comes in though.

Quick Reply

Latest