The Student Room Group

Investment banking and consultancy companies

Hello,
I really need to compile a complete list of IBD/Consultancy companies to apply. Can anyone help me? Then we can make it sticky. thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studos
Hello,
I really need to compile a complete list of IBD/Consultancy companies to apply. Can anyone help me? Then we can make it sticky. thanks!

Google is your friend bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by studos
Hello,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_investment_banks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_management_consulting_firms
Original post by Princepieman
Yes. But it depends on how many people are on your team (i.e. you're more likely to be in the meeting room at an elite boutique than a BB) and whether the MD/VP wants you to or not. Generally Analysts aren't the ones speaking to clients.Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you any idea which guys generally have to build relationships, cut deals, etc?I'm a long way away from being ready to apply for even spring weeks and maybe finance will lose the appeal in a year or two but I'm overzealous and keen so interested in what the answer might be.There are a few decisions to be made, using backwards induction. I'm worried that trading at prop. firms or banks or quant roles in general are *too* quantitative. Because as much as I like maths and stats and programming, I like people more than principles, and I think later on in my career (yep. Considering a longer than average career) I'd like to be involved in deal making, etc. And so do I need to go IB to get a good chance at this? Etc.

A lot of guys are worried about the hours vs pay most of all, understandably, but I'm really keen to go wherever I like the work and I think that side of it sounds pretty fun, as far as work goes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mathstatician
Have you any idea which guys generally have to build relationships, cut deals, etc?I'm a long way away from being ready to apply for even spring weeks and maybe finance will lose the appeal in a year or two but I'm overzealous and keen so interested in what the answer might be.There are a few decisions to be made, using backwards induction. I'm worried that trading at prop. firms or banks or quant roles in general are *are* quantitative. Because as much as I like maths and stats and programming, I like people more than principles, and I think later on in my career (yep. Considering a longer than average career) I'd like to be involved in deal making, etc. And so do I need to go IB to get a good chance at this? Etc.

A lot of guys are worried about the hours vs pay most of all, understandably, but I'm really keen to go wherever I like the work and I think that side of it sounds pretty fun, as far as work goes.

Generally Sales (S&T/Markets), IBD and private wealth/banking within an IB.

Outside of that, there's the typical exit opp for IBD: PE/VC. Generally any sort of transaction oriented job will involve 'deal making'. And if that's REALLY what gets you going you can't beat the career IBDer or IBD > PE/VC route.

The skillset between trading and the more transactional roles is very limited. Traders tend to be more impatient, they want instant feedback from their decisions and not the project like nature of IBD/PE/VC. Sales within markets is more of a happy medium, in that you still need to go in for the kill and build relationships but ultimately you can track how well a trade you originate does in a shorter time frame than the months long (IBD) to years long (PE/VC) time frames in the other transaction/deal based jobs. In short, there's barely any overlap.

Ultimately, it's a trade off between relationship building, more transactional type work or the spontaneous, super quick decision making life of a trader or the highly intellectual, more autonomous life of a quant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Ultimately, it's a trade off between relationship building, more transactional type work or the spontaneous, super quick decision making life of a trader or the highly intellectual, more autonomous life of a quant.

PRSOM. But I really appreciate this. It seems like it'd be difficult to try out everything while at uni which sucks tbh because they all seem equally interesting.

Thanks, Prince
PRSOM. But I really appreciate this. It seems like it'd be difficult to try out everything while at uni which sucks tbh because they all seem equally interesting.

Thanks, Prince

Yeah, you sort of have to figure out which bracket you fall into whilst at uni. I think the best way to find out whether you'd be fit for the job is to speak to those already in the jobs, either at careers fairs/networking sessions or via Linkedin.

There's nothing stopping someone from say, doing trading, deciding it's not for them and then getting an MBA (from a top school, of course) for a chance to reset their career path.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's nothing stopping someone from say, doing trading, deciding it's not for them and then getting an MBA (from a top school, of course) for a chance to reset their career path.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! This is the spanner in the works for me (but also maybe the saving grace). It seems you can start off in the more quant-based stuff then if you don't like it go to business school and join IB as an associate or try to nab a place at HF or in PE.
Yes! This is the spanner in the works for me (but also maybe the saving grace). It seems you can start off in the more quant-based stuff then if you don't like it go to business school and join IB as an associate or try to nab a place at HF or in PE.

Exactly!

What are your uni plans? You seem to have done your research (unlike *ahem* some people *ahem* studos *ahem*).
Exactly!

What are your uni plans? You seem to have done your research (unlike *ahem* some people *ahem* studos *ahem*).

*shrug* I start AS in September so just a baby right now. But probably maths. Do you have a much better idea of what you're planning to do? It's pretty cool that you're so on top of it so soon. Gives you a huge head start.

Current A Level choices are Chem, Maths, FM, Phys. Considering Messing around with this and adding economics and/or biology, taking out physics. Dunno. But Economics, CS, Physics, Maths, Management and maybe even medicine (eh. less interested now than before) are contenders. I think my AS performance will tell me a lot. If I am not absolutely killing maths (As, but not Cambridge or Warwick As) then probably I'll look at the less really maths intensive stuff.

What are you hoping to get out of finance? Is this a way for you to retire by 30 before relaxing on the beach (or do what you really love), or to live models and bottles (:lol:) or interest in the field?
*shrug* I start AS in September so just a baby right now. But probably maths. Do you have a much better idea of what you're planning to do? It's pretty cool that you're so on top of it so soon. Gives you a huge head start.

Current A Level choices are Chem, Maths, FM, Phys. Considering Messing around with this and adding economics and/or biology, taking out physics. Dunno. But Economics, CS, Physics, Maths, Management and maybe even medicine (eh. less interested now than before) are contenders. I think my AS performance will tell me a lot. If I am not absolutely killing maths (As, but not Cambridge or Warwick As) then probably I'll look at the less really maths intensive stuff.

What are you hoping to get out of finance? Is this a way for you to retire by 30 before relaxing on the beach (or do what you really love), or to live models and bottles (:lol:) or interest in the field?

I'll PM you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, you sort of have to figure out which bracket you fall into whilst at uni. I think the best way to find out whether you'd be fit for the job is to speak to those already in the jobs, either at careers fairs/networking sessions or via Linkedin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you apply to Spring Weeks or Summer Internships, do you apply to a specific desk or do you just apply generally and then you try out all the desks?
Original post by anonwinner
When you apply to Spring Weeks or Summer Internships, do you apply to a specific desk or do you just apply generally and then you try out all the desks?

SWs: some are general across FO and some split off into IBD+ECM/DCM, Markets, Asset Management. Whoever you end up shadowing will be a result of your interest and whoever is available. GS from what I've seen, is entirely down to initiative on you setting up appointments

Summer: entirely split into different divisions. Markets is usually rotational around 2-3 desks. IBD you rank your preferences for where you want to work, some are rotational and some aren't.

Return offers for S&T will be general for some banks in markets (i.e. Citi), or you'll get an offer from one of the desks you shadowed or you'll be re-matched to a different desk.

For IBD, some use the 'beauty pageant' model where you speak to various people at different desks (during training) and then they rank who they want and you rank who you want; an offer is made based on the cross over. Or you'll get an offer from one of the desks you worked on in the summer. Or you'll just rank them out.

So basically, it depends.
SWs: some are general across FO and some split off into IBD+ECM/DCM, Markets, Asset Management. Whoever you end up shadowing will be a result of your interest and whoever is available. GS from what I've seen, is entirely down to initiative on you setting up appointments

Summer: entirely split into different divisions. Markets is usually rotational around 2-3 desks. IBD you rank your preferences for where you want to work, some are rotational and some aren't.

Return offers for S&T will be general for some banks in markets (i.e. Citi), or you'll get an offer from one of the desks you shadowed or you'll be re-matched to a different desk.

For IBD, some use the 'beauty pageant' model where you speak to various people at different desks (during training) and then they rank who they want and you rank who you want; an offer is made based on the cross over. Or you'll get an offer from one of the desks you worked on in the summer. Or you'll just rank them out.

So basically, it depends.

Ty
Reply 15
I am pretty sure Princepieman has a father or uncle or brother who works in a recruitment agency for IB or maybe a back back back office HR admin in a IB bank.

come on Princepieman, tell us your secret
Original post by studos
I am pretty sure Princepieman has a father or uncle or brother who works in a recruitment agency for IB or maybe a back back back office HR admin in a IB bank.

There are no secrets if you do your research.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by studos

Well, I know a lot of people through networking - pretty easy to make connections with people if you're personable. And yes, I know a few recruiters + my mom worked in HR for a hell of a long time before doing her PhD

Do you want me to send over my birth certificate as well? Or is that all?

As for the stuff I've told you. That's common knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
@studos , why do you want to go into IB? Serious question
Original post by Ladbants
@studos , why do you want to go into IB? Serious question

^This

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending