The Student Room Group

Best law unis with AAB and ABB

So I'm going to apply for uni for 2017 entry and I think I'm going to get either AAB, or more likely ABB. What are the best uni's for each of these grades? I've already got an A in law from AS btw
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

With AAB - You probably wont get an offer but will 100% secure a place at the same unis you were rejected by through clearing. I would suggest apply this year in clearing with the grades and then defer the entry?

With ABB - Unis like Aston come to mind, not exactly the best but definately not the worst.

For Law you really want to be aiming for a RG minimum and the better the uni the better your career prospects will be, so work hard and really try for the AAA, you say you could get AAB so is it not possible to work maybe 3 hours more a day and get AAA?

Hope this helps, if you need further help let me know. Best of luck with your results :smile:
I actually didn't apply at all yet as I planned to apply during my gap year. Any advice for a law personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRFT8
With AAB - You probably wont get an offer but will 100% secure a place at the same unis you were rejected by through clearing. I would suggest apply this year in clearing with the grades and then defer the entry?

With ABB - Unis like Aston come to mind, not exactly the best but definately not the worst.

For Law you really want to be aiming for a RG minimum and the better the uni the better your career prospects will be, so work hard and really try for the AAA, you say you could get AAB so is it not possible to work maybe 3 hours more a day and get AAA?

Hope this helps, if you need further help let me know. Best of luck with your results :smile:

Not entirely sure this is good advice tbh. :s-smilie:

Original post by martinnmartin
I actually didn't apply at all yet as I planned to apply during my gap year. Any advice for a law personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, have you checked out UEA? They're a wonderful uni, require AAB and they're my insurance. :smile:

Other ones that you could possibly apply to are Exeter or Bristol, which each do contextual offers of AAB. :biggrin:
Original post by JohnGreek
Perhaps you could try getting into Liverpool or Birmingham through Clearing?

The issue, as always, is that the nominal offer grades are lower than what most students achieve, meaning that it's gonna be tough getting in regularly either way.

As for the law personal statement, make sure you mention any reading you've around the law, perhaps visiting a court case or two, 'supercurriculars' like debating (I don't know how much weight mid-tier unis put on sports/DofE), and any possible work experience you have.

During my gap year (and before I apply) I'm planning on going to some court cases. From what I've heard you can just go in to nearly all crown courts and see a trial. Should I stay for a whole trial and how many days does this usually last?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Not entirely sure this is good advice tbh. :s-smilie:

What was wrong with my advice (the only advice i gave was to go for a RG Uni)? Go ahead and elaborate i would love to know.
(edited 8 years ago)

You could apply by June 30th (probably will get rejected) and then through clearing you have a free choice to phone where-ever. The reason im sort of pushing you for clearing this year is simple - Clearing is very risky - Law is competitive. I would hate for you to wait till clearing next year and not get a place or get a university you dont like.

Here you have a advantage as you will get your grades in August - Apply through clearing with the grades and if you get a good offer ask for deferral and have your gap year as planned. If you dont get a good offer you can apply again in September. It basically enables you too get 4 tries at getting a offer you want.

As for your personal statement - I have a offer from LSE and if you want i can send you mine or if you want general advice on what to include feel free to PM me now or closer to when you want to apply.

Keep in mind though, if you apply this year, then next year you will need a new personal statement or it will get caught for plagiarism.
Original post by TSRFT8
You could apply by June 30th (probably will get rejected) and then through clearing you have a free choice to phone where-ever. The reason im sort of pushing you for clearing this year is simple - Clearing is very risky - Law is competitive. I would hate for you to wait till clearing next year and not get a place or get a university you dont like.

Here you have a advantage as you will get your grades in August - Apply through clearing with the grades and if you get a good offer ask for deferral and have your gap year as planned. If you dont get a good offer you can apply again in September. It basically enables you too get 4 tries at getting a offer you want.

As for your personal statement - I have a offer from LSE and if you want i can send you mine or if you want general advice on what to include feel free to PM me now or closer to when you want to apply.

Keep in mind though, if you apply this year, then next year you will need a new personal statement or it will get caught for plagiarism.

Ok thanks I'll PM but I don't want to make a PS this year- I got ADDE at AS and so I'm retaking 4 exams and it's better for me to plan for them. If I were to write a PS now it would be a failure since I have literally nothing extra curriculum to talk about. With my plan I would do things like read law books+ visit courts and possible volunteer before I apply so I can write about it in my personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uni of Liverpool is RG and their offer is ABB.

UEA is AAB and some others that are 'AAA - AAB' include Kent and Surrey, both pretty good. Not sure under which circumstances they give the AAB offer instead of AAA, though. Southampton offer is AAA but if you get an offer and miss it they tend to let in a lot of people with AAB and ABB. I even saw someone with ABC.

I also think you're very sensible to apply next year, with ADDE you would have a tough job getting offers so once you've hopefully got AAB under your belt it will be much easier for you. You could always even then retake a module or two in your gap year for higher grades.
During my gap year (and before I apply) I'm planning on going to some court cases. From what I've heard you can just go in to nearly all crown courts and see a trial. Should I stay for a whole trial and how many days does this usually last?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right to avoid the Magistrates courts, as it's mostly driving offences or shoplifting or public disorder stuff; instead you can turn up spontaneously to sit in the public gallery of a Crown court. Just be sensitive to the fact that you may be sitting alongside relatives of the defendant.
Does anyone know how the offers work for students will their a levels completed? Say I get ABB surely a uni can't give me an offer since I've already completed my a levels? Also will I need to pick an insurance too? If firm a uni that I've already got the offer grades for surely that means I'm in and don't need an insurance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another question- I'm doing Economics, business and law- will this help or hinder my law application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another question- I'm doing Economics, business and law- will this help or hinder my law application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As Law may hinder your application, as some universities tend to reject applicants with a qualification in Law (as they view it as a 'soft' subject). But only some Universities though. Then again, i've heard that sometimes they look over it...although i suppose that may be down to your personal statement etc. :colone:
Original post by TSRFT8
What was wrong with my advice (the only advice i gave was to go for a RG Uni)? Go ahead and elaborate i would love to know.

I don't think the RG target matters that much. There are some excellent universities that aren't in the RG, and are well respected by a lot of employers/firms/chambers.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, business is quite often viewed as 'soft' but economics is a good subject. I'm unsure about law, however, I do law and have an offer from a top university so it might not hinder you if your application is strong overall, as @Dann.It said.
Oh that's nice. :smile: Which University if you don't mind me asking. :colondollar:
Honestly, business is quite often viewed as 'soft' but economics is a good subject. I'm unsure about law, however, I do law and have an offer from a top university so it might not hinder you if your application is strong overall, as @Dann.It said.
Original post by Dann.It
Oh that's nice. :smile: Which University if you don't mind me asking. :colondollar:

UCL. :biggrin:
I don't think the RG target matters that much. There are some excellent universities that aren't in the RG, and are well respected by a lot of employers/firms/chambers.

Spoiler

Such as?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

UEA, Lancaster, Leicester, Sussex, Kent.
you can easily apply for AAA courses with them grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending