The Student Room Group

Career in finance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
So 10%, not bad...

Anyway, the point is the OP *is* going to Birmingham (not LSE) and needs to make the most of it, which is largely within their own control to do so.

Adding an LSE Masters (assuming, and its a big assumption, they get accepted) delays them by another year and gives how much extra to their CV? (Genuine question...)

The LSE Masters would certainly make recruiters take notice. However, it does depend on how strong of a CV OP has at the moment (prior internships, ECs, leadership experience etc). Provided their application is strong enough, the LSE name would probably nab them interviews.

Although, OP would need to target internships instead of grad schemes because banks usually fill their classes with their own prior interns (c.60-80%) or prior interns from other banks. Most grad scheme interview spots are filled up in about a months time because what's left is the spill over.

I'm not exactly sure what stage OP is at in his degree. If he's not in final year, applying regardless to internships would be the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Princepieman
The LSE Masters would certainly make recruiters take notice. However, it does depend on how strong of a CV OP has at the moment (prior internships, ECs, leadership experience etc). Provided their application is strong enough, the LSE name would probably nab them interviews.

Although, OP would need to target internships instead of grad schemes because banks usually fill their classes with their own prior interns (c.60-80%) or prior interns from other banks. Most grad scheme interview spots are filled up in about a months time because what's left is the spill over.

I'm not exactly sure what stage OP is at in his degree. If he's not in final year, applying regardless to internships would be the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the OP hasn't even *started* at Birmingham yet. So my view is forget LSE for now, focus on improving his CV while at Birmingham with internships etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
But the OP hasn't even *started* at Birmingham yet. So my view is forget LSE for now, focus on improving his CV while at Birmingham with internships etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhh. Yeah, they should definitely forget about any Masters programmes or any such things for now. The best they can do is apply during the normal cycles, i.e. spring week first year, summer second year. Beef up their CV and hope for the best.

I did see 1-2 incoming summer FO interns in my Linkedin search so it's certainly possible.

It does amaze me how people think about a Masters course (which should be a back up for if recruiting fails first time) before even getting to uni and applying for the internships/schemes available.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Princepieman
Ohhh. Yeah, they should definitely forget about any Masters programmes or any such things for now. The best they can do is apply during the normal cycles, i.e. spring week first year, summer second year. Beef up their CV and hope for the best.

I did see 1-2 incoming summer FO interns in my Linkedin search so it's certainly possible.

It does amaze me how people think about a Masters course (which should be a back up for if recruiting fails first time) before even getting to uni and applying for the internships/schemes available.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mad_scientist_
Hello guys, this is my first question I believe! So I'm a little bit worried that what I intend to do isn't going to work. I'm finishing my joint honours mathematics and a language at the Uni of Birmingham and I'm about to start a postgrad finance court at LSE. I've heard that to get a job in finance (especially a decent one) you need to have gone to a top university. Does the fact that I will have gone to LSE count, or are they talking about undergraduate courses only/as well? I could have gone to a more prestigious university but I wanted this combination of subjects which is fairly unique to Birmingham ( a few other similar universities do it). So am I doomed to fail from the start? I would love to hear from people with specific knowledge and/or experience of my situation. Thanks!

Btw OP, lying isn't going to get you brownie points! You could have just said what stage you were at, truthfully and you would have received appropriate advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mad_scientist_
Ok was hoping you wouldn't bother looking at that... Basically I want to explore a hypothetical situation without having to explain that it's hypothetical, why I want to do this, and also avoid all the "this is hypothetical what's the point" comments. Having said that, do you have any answer for my original question?

Heh completely busted., such levels of honesty will take you far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending