The Student Room Group

Urgent: To retake AS Maths or not?

Hi guys,

I'm currently an A2 student doing Chemistry Maths and Bio and need to get AAA or A*AA to get into uni for medicine, including an A in maths.

In maths last year i got
c1 - 83
c2 - 76
s1 - 93

but I'm kinda finding the course hard atm. Should I retake C2 as well as C1? That would be a total of 2 modules. Or would this affect my ability to retake A2 modules if I needed to after this year?

Because some medicine unis have a limit on the number of retakes, and if I missed my offer this year I want to know that I won't have exceeded a certain limit of retakes

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eatpigeons
Hi guys,

I'm currently an A2 student doing Chemistry Maths and Bio and need to get AAA or A*AA to get into uni for med, including an A in maths.

In maths last year i got
c1 - 83
c2 - 76
s1 - 93

but I'm kinda finding the course hard atm. Should I retake C2 as well as C1? That would be a total of 2 modules. Or would this affect my ability to retake A2 modules if I needed to after this year?

Thanks

I will ask also in Maths
Reply 2
Original post by ODES_PDES
I will ask also in Maths

Pardon?
Reply 3
Hi guys,

I'm currently an A2 student doing Chemistry Maths and Bio and need to get AAA or A*AA to get into uni for medicine, including an A in maths.

In maths last year i got
c1 - 83
c2 - 76
s1 - 93

Because some medicine unis have a limit on the number of retakes, and if I missed my offer this year I want to know that I won't have exceeded a certain limit of retakes

Thanks

if you have already an offer, ask your unis if they accept module retaking
Hi guys,

In maths last year i got
c1 - 83
c2 - 76
s1 - 93

Thanks

Why would you retake?
You already got an A in AS Maths?
You need to get 80% overall to get an overall A in maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

In maths last year i got
c1 - 83
c2 - 76
s1 - 93

Thanks

If you retake certain modules then that is acceptable
Reply 7
Original post by Bloom77
Why would you retake?
You already got an A in AS Maths?
You need to get 80% overall to get an overall A in maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,
Just to make it easier to get an A overall. C1 and C2 are the easier units, and so getting full UMS in them means it would take the pressure off C3 and C4.
Reply 8
Original post by zXcodeXz
If you retake certain modules then that is acceptable

Thanks for the reply.
Is that still applicable after your A2 year?

For example, retaking 2 AS modules during my A2 year, and one or two A2 modules after?
Thanks for the reply.
Is that still applicable after your A2 year?

For example, retaking 2 AS modules during my A2 year, and one or two A2 modules after?

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure about that

For Medicine, you'll be limiting your choices if you did that - many Med Schools want to see A-Levels done in no more than 2 years.
Hey,
Just to make it easier to get an A overall. C1 and C2 are the easier units, and so getting full UMS in them means it would take the pressure off C3 and C4.

I wouldn't. If you're finding A2 hard then trying to resit AS at the same time risks lowering your A2 module grades. If you're really concerned about the impact of your AS grades then maybe resit C2, but don't try to take on more than that, your C1 grade is good enough that there isn't much point retaking anyway, and you'll need all your time for C3 and C4. You need to get good grades in A2 first time, as retaking them may be counted as taking more than 2 years to do your A-levels, and there are very few medical schools which accept that barring severe extenuating circumstances.
Reply 12
Original post by usycool1
For Medicine, you'll be limiting your choices if you did that - many Med Schools want to see A-Levels done in no more than 2 years.

Original post by theresheglows
I wouldn't. If you're finding A2 hard then trying to resit AS at the same time risks lowering your A2 module grades. If you're really concerned about the impact of your AS grades then maybe resit C2, but don't try to take on more than that, your C1 grade is good enough that there isn't much point retaking anyway, and you'll need all your time for C3 and C4. You need to get good grades in A2 first time, as retaking them may be counted as taking more than 2 years to do your A-levels, and there are very few medical schools which accept that barring severe extenuating circumstances.

Thanks so much for your replies. Ok so basically work really hard this year and get atleast AAA (my insurance is AAA, firm is A*AA) seems to be the best thing. I'm assuming any module retakes after Year 13 would disadvantage me? (regardless of my AS resits)

As for retakes, do you think it would be a good idea to do the C1 exam with a bit of revision, and if that goes well, withdraw from C2? Or just see how either one goes with minimal revision?
I'm just worried about my AS modules
Thanks so much for your replies. Ok so basically work really hard this year and get atleast AAA (my insurance is AAA, firm is A*AA) seems to be the best thing. I'm assuming any module retakes after Year 13 would disadvantage me? (regardless of my AS resits)

Any module retakes after year 13 are counted as taking more than 2 years to do your A-levels, which is something that most medical schools do not accept. See here for resit policies
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

As for retakes, do you think it would be a good idea to do the C1 exam with a bit of revision, and if that goes well, withdraw from C2? Or just see how either one goes with minimal revision?I'm just worried about my AS modules
Only retake if you are going to do better the second time around (which probably means more than minimal revision) AND if it does not risk your A2 grades.
Hey,

I think your just adding more pressure to be honest with you.
Just try really hard for c3 and c4 tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending