The Student Room Group

Outraged our new headteacher is making us drop a GCSE after 2 years.

Can she do this. It really pi**** me off I was doing just fine in all of my subjects and now I have to drop one because my year is a Guinea Pig year. Can we protest or anything to keep the same things were doing now. Urgh If only I was born in 1999 as opposed to 2001. I know its about quality over quantity but this shouldn't be happening since were 2 years in already couldn't they try this on the next year? I've been speaking to all my teachers and they said its a bunch of tossh aswell. Urgggh That new head has been an utter pain ever since she arrived. I swear am seriously slacking now.

The change wont happen till September 2016 is there anyway this could be prevented till the. Bear in mind I'm in Year 10 and our mocks are in June. They can't just drop a bombshell on us like this. I've been feeling very doscouraged lately and my Mum is pi**ed too. Atter all the progress I've been making. I have not suffered through 5 years of hell in this sh!thole for nothing.

Ok sorry for my over reaction and language I've just been so put off by this lately and can you believe they were gonna make us do our mocks next week after that assembly. Thank God it was moved to June urghhhhh!

Scroll to see replies

Do you get the new GCSE system with number grades instead of A*-U?
Reply 2
Original post by katodizzle
Do you get the new GCSE system with number grades instead of A*-U?

Yeah although not sure if its for all subjects apparently its being graded through a number system now so 1-9 9 being the highest and 1 the lowest. On a sheet they sent home for a parents evening regarding the GCSE change they say 4 and 5 is equivalent to a C and 6-9 is equivalent to B - A* and anything below 4 is just D E F G and so on.
Reply 3
Logically what she should do is stop any new students from taking on the course and allow the older ones to finish it, and then drop it. That way it's not a waste of time. Is the school strapped for cash?

You could try a petition. Get students and parents involved, try to get her to listen, and perhaps approach your local media with the story. Authority figures do tend to get a bit more co-operative or open about issues when they see a camera pointing in their face, especially with a journalist on the other end of it.

Edit: Do you mean a GCSE in general or a specific course/topic? I should have asked.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Life isn't fair. Just deal with it and focus on your other exams. It's not the time to complain.
You're in year 10 pls, stop hyping, you're not the one with 21 exams in a month.
Original post by Oblivion99
You're in year 10 pls, stop hyping, you're not the one with 21 exams in a month.

second this

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by Oblivion99

this is very true

also OP school forced me to drop further maths bc they were 'concerned with it affecting my normal maths gcse'

>gets A* in maths twice in mocks
>gets A in fm with 3 days revision and 0 lesson time being taught FM

dont worry if i can get over that you can get over thIS
Original post by Popsiclez
Yeah although not sure if its for all subjects apparently its being graded through a number system now so 1-9 9 being the highest and 1 the lowest. On a sheet they sent home for a parents evening regarding the GCSE change they say 4 and 5 is equivalent to a C and 6-9 is equivalent to B - A* and anything below 4 is just D E F G and so on.

Aw peak I think the number system is such bs, apparently a 9 is equivalent to and A** and therefore virtually impossible, hope it all goes well for you!
I would go for quality over quantity, but if you really wnat to do it then make a complaint to the headteacher(who will ignore it), the borad of governors and the LEA. You could always continue and take it privately. They cant stop you doing that.
Reply 10
I'm not hyping I'm upset that we can't be allowed to finish what we started after two years now gone to waste. Its not just me my whole year is angry about this too. How come our year are feeling it worse why couldn't they do this with the new Year 9's. Its logical thinking. And they expect us to still do mocks and still maintain our grades when were gonna drop it after Summer. Whats the point of all these revision guides I brought and all these practice papers I've done non-stop.

What makes you think am happy about this!?

What about the years before and after us?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by surina16
second this

Spoiler

W0t
How many subjects do you take?
Reply 12
Original post by katodizzle
Aw peak I think the number system is such bs, apparently a 9 is equivalent to and A** and therefore virtually impossible, hope it all goes well for you!

Thanks I'll try my best.
Original post by QuibblerWaffle
W0t
How many subjects do you take?

10 :redface:
Sorry to hear about this, it sounds like it really sucks. Luckily you are only in year 10 and you aren't dropping it later on after months of revision before the exam :unimpressed: I'd say if you want to you can petition but I think that the best thing to do would be to focus on your other subjects and get the best grades you can in those :h:
Reply 15
Original post by zanner
this is very true

also OP school forced me to drop further maths bc they were 'concerned with it affecting my normal maths gcse'

>gets A* in maths twice in mocks
>gets A in fm with 3 days revision and 0 lesson time being taught FM

dont worry if i can get over that you can get over thIS

Please bear in mind that we'll be one of the first years taking the new Harder GCSEs and there are no past papers that can prepare us for that. We have nothing to go on but the new teaching syllabus
(edited 8 years ago)
Ahhh, well if you are doing O Levels, then you were supposed to drop a subject/ do fewer than the GCSE lot. So you can focus on fewer subjects since your the first year and it's known to be considerably harder.
At least that's a pattern I've found most schools in my area have adopted.
Tf why do some of you have so many exams to take? I swear I only took 11/12 exams.
Reply 18
Please bear in mind that we'll be one of the first years taking the new Harder GCSEs and there are no past papers that can prepare us for that.

the grade boundaries will probably be significantly lower then because nationally everyone won't be doing amazing.

check out the start of many of these specs

39/60 was A* in one of the bio papers

now it's high 40s

so it will definitely balance out dont worrrryyyy

learn the spec!!
Can she do this. It really pi**** me off I was doing just fine in all of my subjects and now I have to drop one because my year is a Guinea Pig year. Can we protest or anything to keep the same things were doing now. Urgh If only I was born in 1999 as opposed to 2001. I know its about quality over quantity but this shouldn't be happening since were 2 years in already couldn't they try this on the next year? I've been speaking to all my teachers and they said its a bunch of tossh aswell. Urgggh That new head has been an utter pain ever since she arrived. I swear am seriously slacking now.

The change wont happen till September 2016 is there anyway this could be prevented till the. Bear in mind I'm in Year 10 and our mocks are in June. They can't just drop a bombshell on us like this. I've been feeling very doscouraged lately and my Mum is pi**ed too. Atter all the progress I've been making. I have not suffered through 5 years of hell in this sh!thole for nothing.

Ok sorry for my over reaction and language I've just been so put off by this lately and can you believe they were gonna make us do our mocks next week after that assembly. Thank God it was moved to June urghhhhh!

Lol you didn't start GCSEs in Y8, the title is so misleading.

If you started GCSEs in Y10, you have only been doing it for 7 months.

With the new changes, it's perfectly reasonable to be doing fewer GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest