The Student Room Group

What course? Modern History or History

I'm undecided about which course I want to study, I know I definitely want to study a history course but I don't know which to do.

I am mainly interested in modern history. Although I haven't really done much in school on medieval history and things like that, the things I have looked at, like documentaries, I don't really enjoy too much. I'm afraid that if I choose a modern history course I will regret it as I am limiting myself, but if I choose a history course I could really dislike some of the modules since I'm not that interested in medieval history and so on.

Can anyone give me any advice? Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zoe_123
I'm undecided about which course I want to study, I know I definitely want to study a history course but I don't know which to do.

I am mainly interested in modern history or medieval history and things like that but I'm afraid that if I choose a modern history course I will regret it as I am limiting myself, but if I choose a history course I could really dislike some of the modules since I'm not that interested in medieval history and so on.

Can anyone give me any advice? Thank you :smile:

So, do you like Medieval history or not???

When you look at history courses pay close attention to whether your choices are restricted. Some unis want you to study a range of modules in different eras (eg Manchester); others give you completely free choice (eg Kent).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Sorry, clearly didn't read it back properly. It is supposed to say I am mainly interested in modern history not medieval history. But thank you, I have to go back through and look specifically for that, thanks.

Original post by ageshallnot
So, do you like Medieval history or not???

When you look at history courses pay close attention to whether your choices are restricted. Some unis want you to study a range of modules in different eras (eg Manchester); others give you completely free choice (eg Kent).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If u sure that u r more interested in modern history than medieval history, then choose modern history. Because u still can sit in on the lecture/lesson u like.
But I agree with #4, u should find/look more information about the courses before make the decision.
I had this dilemma when choosing what aspect of music to study. In the end I went for music since 1900 because although there was the concern of limiting myself, I was keen to study an area of the subject that was of genuine interest to me that I believed I could do well at. No regrets :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for your advice.
I have thought that it could just be the fact that I have had more emphasis on modern history in school which is why I am worried about limiting myself. However, I am doing an A-level Tudor course at the moment in school which I get on alright with I just don't enjoy it as much as the European History side I am doing which ranges from 1890-1991. I'm not 100% sure whether it is due to the fact I'm more comfortable with the European side or not hence my confusion over what course to settle with. Thanks for your help though :smile:

Original post by passé-présent
Try not to limit yourself. And you may find, if you really are interested only in modern history, that you're actually interested in politics, current affairs etc., not history. History is history. Some, probably most, of the most exciting work in the field is done in medieval and early modern history. A history course would be rather poor, and artificially so, without extending beyond 1800. Read some books on medieval history.
Think also about what constitutes modern and what medieval, and then why you should be interested in one and, allegedly, not in the other.
It may well be just mere-exposure effect from the tyranny of contemporary history at school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending