The Student Room Group

Should I leave Hull for Leicester?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinyflame
Yeah definitely makes sense.
I think I'll make an individual visit before I have to make a firm and insurance choice.

I might visit Leicester again, I like how big the campus buildings are and some of them are quite pretty, but others are frankly quite ugly 80's style concrete buildings, still not sold on it overall.

But yeah thanks for the advice and support :smile:

Durham let me transfer there after doing a foundation year at another university. Its closer and much better than Leicester.
Reply 21
Original post by physicsphysics91
Durham let me transfer there after doing a foundation year at another university. Its closer and much better than Leicester.

I don't think I'll be able to transfer to Durham, already made 5 choices :frown:.

What do you mean by closer by the way?

I just feel that Leicester's campus looks hideous from the outside :frown:?
I mean some buildings are nice, like the students union, the library and the main reception, but other buildings really remind me of a council flat?
Original post by maridonna
I'm just saying it gets a little random/a matter of personal opinion/haphazard/whatever you want to call it outside of the top 20. Most HR depts will look at your CV, clock the uni, and then think "oooh Oxbridge! Very good", or "oh UCL/Durham/Briz/[other top 20]! Very nice", or "Hull/Reading/Liverpool/Leics! That's fine." They don't check the specific ranking. Hull and Leics are both perfectly respectable redbrick institutes. I'm not saying ranking shouldn't be a factor in choice, because of course it is important. But, in this particular instance, based on the info you have given, I personally don't think there is *that* much tangible dif between their individual reputations to make it the sole reason for leaving. Particularly when you have said you are happy at Hull. Good luck with your decision.

I think this is pretty much it. Only a few unis stand out, see if its any different for your department. It counts for a lot if you cna imagine living somewhere for three years and you are happy. Just read these forums and look at the amount of people who are unhappy. Thats not saying dont leave, just dont forget being happy with he uni itself plus the area can count for a lot.
Oh wow, did not expect you to have studied at Hull as well :biggrin:
I think I need to focus more on the actual course that I applied for which is engineering. I already have an offer from Leicester so far and I am still waiting from an offer from Aston and Nottingham.

I looked at the Nottingham campus on google maps and I even think that that doesn't look as pretty as Hull's campus to be honest. The thing is I have no idea how important league tables are, I am scared that some people hold some truth when they say that they matter. I mean what if they are right?

So far I only know that the University of Hull doesn't have an engineering department, but rather an engineering school, while leicester seems more ahead of this and actually have a building and department dedicated to engineering. But I will look into it more.

Have you already graduated from Hull? And also, can I ask why you transferred from a different university to Hull?

I have visited the Leicester campus on an individual visit two days ago, I didn't get to look at the departments or the acommodation as it wasn't an actual open day. The next nearest open day at Leicester is 9th of July, but I am scared that I would have to make a firm and insurance decision before that date? :frown:

I am just so scared that if I stay in Hull, that I will tell my self "what if I transferred"? and go crazy with regret. I don't know how I feel about spending the next 4 years of my life in Hull. Like I said, I don't like the city, but I do like the university and the surrounding area. And I am worried that I will spend 4 years in the surrounding area, rather than enjoying the campus and the city if I was to live in Leicester?

I honestly don't know, I will have to look how I feel about this. The thing is as well, is that the Leicester campus is massive and the buildings are massive, I feel that the Hull campus is rather small and underwhelming sometimes, but it is very pretty.

I could potentially face the same problem with Nottingham, they might give me an offer and I would be scared to refuse because it's highly ranked?

Edit: Hull - Leicester engineering department rankings:http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/compare?s=Mechanical+Engineering&i=1263&i=1277

you're doing engineering.
If both courses are accredited where you study means absolutely nothing, employers wont care, unless unless you want to go into banking (in which case there are only 6 unis to consider Leicester isn't one of them)
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think I'll be able to transfer to Durham, already made 5 choices :frown:.

What do you mean by closer by the way?

I just feel that Leicester's campus looks hideous from the outside :frown:?
I mean some buildings are nice, like the students union, the library and the main reception, but other buildings really remind me of a council flat?

For me it was after the UCAS deadline through Extra, they had places.
Reply 25
Original post by 999tigger
I think this is pretty much it. Only a few unis stand out, see if its any different for your department. It counts for a lot if you cna imagine living somewhere for three years and you are happy. Just read these forums and look at the amount of people who are unhappy. Thats not saying dont leave, just dont forget being happy with he uni itself plus the area can count for a lot.

Well Leicester is roughly ranked 20 overall in the league tables, Hull is like ranked 50 usually. But for engineering, Leicester is like ranked 30 and Hull like 40, so not that much difference.

I just don't know if Leicester is a good enough uni to make the sacrifice of leaving Hull. I visited the campus and was disappointed, but I don't know if that's all tehre is to Leicester, maybe it has a very good city or maybe just a higher quality uni.

But I honestly don't know. I think I might stay in Hull unless nottingham gives me an offer. But so far, I like Hull a lot more because it's nice, quite and pretty as opposed to the london feel leciester gives off.

Edit: Here's the league table for the engineering departments of hull and leicester, as you can see, not much difference :http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Mechanical+Engineering

Graph comparison: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/compare?s=Mechanical+Engineering&i=1263&i=1277

but this is why I am so worried, look at how low Hull is in the rankings compared to Leicester overall :frown: :
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Graph comparison : http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/compare?i=1263&i=1277
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Oilfreak1
you're doing engineering.
If both courses are accredited where you study means absolutely nothing, employers wont care, unless unless you want to go into banking (in which case there are only 6 unis to consider Leicester isn't one of them)

Yeah I totally forgot about accreditation, is it really true though?

I am scared that uni rank might still ave an influence on your future career?

My friend's family member told me he graduated from hull in engineering and is doing well for himself, but I feel that it's pretty much anecdotal
Reply 27
Original post by physicsphysics91
For me it was after the UCAS deadline through Extra, they had places.

Yeah I forgot how Extra worked, don't you have to decline all your other five choices or something? I only know how adjustment works, but honestly, I feel I have a bad academic history, so I feel that it's unlikely durham would accept me
Well Leicester is roughly ranked 20 overall in the league tables, Hull is like ranked 50 usually. But for engineering, Leicester is like ranked 30 and Hull like 40, so not that much difference.

I just don't know if Leicester is a good enough uni to make the sacrifice of leaving Hull. I visited the campus and was disappointed, but I don't know if that's all tehre is to Leicester, maybe it has a very good city or maybe just a higher quality uni.

But I honestly don't know. I think I might stay in Hull unless nottingham gives me an offer. But so far, I like Hull a lot more because it's nice, quite and pretty as opposed to the london feel leciester gives off.

You are missing the point that maridonna made. Find out if the course is accredited. Wgt bot go and have a chat with the engineering people at Hull and see what their view is. You are in a good position of being settled. There are other threads on here of people who have moved and its not worked out how they wanted.
Reply 29
You are missing the point that maridonna made. Find out if the course is accredited. Wgt bot go and have a chat with the engineering people at Hull and see what their view is. You are in a good position of being settled. There are other threads on here of people who have moved and its not worked out how they wanted.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, Hull's engineering courses are all accredited.

I know, I feel settled, but I am worried of "missing out" on Leicester as a city and possibly the uni being amazing. But I agree I need to think back again about what maridonna said about that.

I have been trying to search for threads about regretting transfers, I don't think I have found some so far, but I will try to search for them again
ive answered a couple, obviously some work out fine. Go and chat with engineering or maybe go on an egnineering open day. There really isnt much in it.
Which sort of engineering was it?
Reply 31
ive answered a couple, obviously some work out fine. Go and chat with engineering or maybe go on an egnineering open day. There really isnt much in it.
Which sort of engineering was it?

The thing is I missed Leicester's ucas visit day :frown:, I don't know if I can go and speak to the department.

But my plan is to visit Leicester on a campus tour again and I will also try to book myself for the open day in july. But the problem is that I would probably have to make a firm/insurance decision, which would bind me to nottingham and leciester if they gave me offers? :frown: So I don't know if there is any point going to the open day if I made my firm/insurance choices anyway?

I'm doing mechanical engineering
(edited 8 years ago)
well it doesnt really rank in the guardian tables, so are you sure they do it at all?
Reply 33
well it doesnt really rank in the guardian tables, so are you sure they do it at all?

You mean Leicester's engineering course?

I looked at the CUG league tables:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Mechanical+Engineering

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Nope the guardian tables, you shoyld have a look at what the times ood uni guide says as well. It might be so low down because it doesnt run the course.
Reply 35
Nope the guardian tables, you shoyld have a look at what the times ood uni guide says as well. It might be so low down because it doesnt run the course.

Is the guardian league tables reliable though, I hear from some people that they're biased? But I'll still check them out and I'll check the Times as well.

What do you mean by not running the course by the way?

Do you mean Hull is ranked so low because they don't do mechanical engineering, or do you mean that it's Leicester that doesn't show up in the rankings instead?

I'm pretty sure Leicester does mechanical engineering, I've already got an offer from them to transfer after foundation year. Don't have an offer from Nottingham and Aston yet, I'm still waiting on those.
Yeah I totally forgot about accreditation, is it really true though?

I am scared that uni rank might still ave an influence on your future career?

My friend's family member told me he graduated from hull in engineering and is doing well for himself, but I feel that it's pretty much anecdotal

Yes as long as your course is accredited employers will not care at all. Only magic circle law firms/finance look at unis and Leicester is neither a target or semi-target so choosing hull over Leicester won't damage your career prospects at all. I personally would choose Leicester, not because of employment etc. Just because it's a bigger city so there's more to do.
Is the guardian league tables reliable though, I hear from some people that they're biased? But I'll still check them out and I'll check the Times as well.

What do you mean by not running the course by the way?

Do you mean Hull is ranked so low because they don't do mechanical engineering, or do you mean that it's Leicester that doesn't show up in the rankings instead?

I'm pretty sure Leicester does mechanical engineering, I've already got an offer from them to transfer after foundation year. Don't have an offer from Nottingham and Aston yet, I'm still waiting on those.

Doesnt matter you are getting a bit wound up by tables though. I just commented on the fact that im not sure Hull does mechanical engineering, although am oo lazy to oogle it. It doesnt appear in the Gurainsa rables, so check the other or check with Hull.
Reply 38
Doesnt matter you are getting a bit wound up by tables though. I just commented on the fact that im not sure Hull does mechanical engineering, although am oo lazy to oogle it. It doesnt appear in the Gurainsa rables, so check the other or check with Hull.

But how can that be though?

I am currently studying mechanical engineering with a foundation year at Hull?
But how can that be though?

I am currently studying mechanical engineering with a foundation year at Hull?

Dont get so wound up on one table, go and look at the times ones and see what that says.

Go and talk to the course organiser for the degree you might take.

If not happy then get a transfer. Its a deccision you need to make for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest