The Student Room Group

Best law unis with AAB and ABB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LSE Anthropology and Law, AAB and nowhere as competitive as LLB.
Original post by Dann.It
As Law may hinder your application, as some universities tend to reject applicants with a qualification in Law (as they view it as a 'soft' subject). But only some Universities though. Then again, i've heard that sometimes they look over it...although i suppose that may be down to your personal statement etc. :colone:

This is literally rubbish.

OP apply to Cardiff, you will not regret it
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
UEA, Lancaster, Leicester, Sussex, Kent.

You sure? Because the statistics say otherwise.
Original post by Princepieman
You sure? Because the statistics say otherwise.

Depends where you want to work to be quite honest. I know that a few of the universities I listed are regarded with respect from people I know in chambers and law firms. Of course, they don't come up as frequently as the 'golden triangle' universities in top firms but everyone's aspirations are different and with a 2:1 or 1st you can certainly be in with a good chance.

Besides, I don't believe the OP has indicated whether he aims to work for a magic circle firm or something similarly prestigious, he just asked for the best universities he could aim for in his grade range.
Depends where you want to work to be quite honest. I know that a few of the universities I listed are regarded with respect from people I know in chambers and law firms. Of course, they don't come up as frequently as the 'golden triangle' universities in top firms but everyone's aspirations are different and with a 2:1 or 1st you can certainly be in with a good chance.

Besides, I don't believe the OP has indicated whether he aims to work for a magic circle firm or something similarly prestigious, he just asked for the best universities he could aim for in his grade range.

Fair enough!

And yes, it absolutely does depend on their aspirations career wise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah just to clear up I'm not planning on working in any top law firms- law is the only subject I like and I'm interested in it but I don't necessarily want to become a solicitor/barrister as I wouldn't like it. What sort of jobs can I apply for with a degree in LLB law after uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think the RG target matters that much. There are some excellent universities that aren't in the RG, and are well respected by a lot of employers/firms/chambers.

Spoiler

Wait you firmed UCL.. Yet are telling someone RG does not matter? It seems as if you are spurting ******** to guide people the wrong way.

UEA, Lancaster, Leicester, Sussex, Kent.

Yeah good luck getting a TC at MC from those universities let me know how you get on. Stop fooling yourself and others, the universities you named have their graduates CV thrown in the bin without them even reading the first line.
Original post by TSRFT8
Wait you firmed UCL.. Yet are telling someone RG does not matter? It seems as if you are spurting ******** to guide people the wrong way.

Yeah good luck getting a TC at MC from those universities let me know how you get on. Stop fooling yourself and others, the universities you named have their graduates CV thrown in the bin without them even reading the first line.

Why are you so unnecessarily angry?

She didnt say that RGs do not matter, just that that they arent the be all and end all. You're not screwed for life just because you dont to an RG uni. Neither did she say that the RG unis arent then best unis, simply that they are still good unis outside of the RG group, why does it make a difference to anything if she goes to UCL or not?

Also, if you had bothered to the rest of the thread you would see that the OP does not even want to work for an MC, so your point is irrelevant and exagerrated anyway.
The minimum for Cardiff is AAB. Apply here, the law courses are great as well as the university and city :smile:
Original post by TSRFT8

I didn't firm UCL because they are RG. I made my decision for the right reasons - where I would feel happy. :smile: Besides, do I study there? No I don't. And there's a high chance that I will not meet the offer and end up at a non-RG. But in either case I will be happy because the RG is not a magic formula to ending up at a Magic Circle firm.

Spoiler

Also, I don't really aspire towards Magic Circle atm, and that is okay. Perhaps you don't know that several top firms are opening up to more and more universities nowadays. :h:
Reply 30
Kent, Surrey, Royal Holloway
Original post by martinnmartin
Yeah just to clear up I'm not planning on working in any top law firms- law is the only subject I like and I'm interested in it but I don't necessarily want to become a solicitor/barrister as I wouldn't like it. What sort of jobs can I apply for with a degree in LLB law after uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As the link JohnGreek suggests, anything that doesn't require a specific degree (i.e. no engineering, architecture etc), which is the majority of grad jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRFT8
With AAB - You probably wont get an offer but will 100% secure a place at the same unis you were rejected by through clearing. I would suggest apply this year in clearing with the grades and then defer the entry?

With ABB - Unis like Aston come to mind, not exactly the best but definately not the worst.

For Law you really want to be aiming for a RG minimum and the better the uni the better your career prospects will be, so work hard and really try for the AAA, you say you could get AAB so is it not possible to work maybe 3 hours more a day and get AAA?

Hope this helps, if you need further help let me know. Best of luck with your results :smile:

What makes you say that?
Original post by Azula
Kent, Surrey, Royal Holloway

Royal Holloway just started their law programme, so I wouldn't necessarily say that it's one of the target unis (for now). However, that might change within the next few years or so when the first cohort is done with their degree. :smile:
I'm not surprised no one mentioned this because it's not as recognised a uni as others but City university has quite a good law school, my cousin did a law degree there (she got an A*AB in her a levels with an offer of AAA, but they've lowered the general offer now to get more applicants because of the competitive nature) so I think its BBB with an AS or ABB
Reply 35
Original post by zero_gravity
Royal Holloway just started their law programme, so I wouldn't necessarily say that it's one of the target unis (for now). However, that might change within the next few years or so when the first cohort is done with their degree. :smile:

Sorry I didn't even apply for law XD
Reply 36
Sussex, Lancaster, Leicester, UEA, Liverpool, Keele

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be wary of thinking 'I don't want to work in a top law firm now, at the age of 18, therefore the university I go to doesn't matter'. You are 18 and once you actually start studying law you may decide you do want to work in a top firm and might regret your university choice. I think it's often overstated how much the choice does matter as I know plenty of people with a first from 'bad' universities who are getting very good TCs but if you can get decent grades and go to a better university it's one less thing to worry about.

Also I'm interested as to why you think you like law but you wouldn't like being a solicitor or barrister? What makes you think you enjoy studying law but you wouldn't enjoy actually being a lawyer? It's pretty rare to see that view on here I think!

Anyway back to your actual question - there are loads of jobs you can do with a law degree. But if you know for a fact you 100% don't want to be a lawyer, I would strongly advise you think about the kind of career or job you want to have and whether there is a degree more suited to it. For example, I did a law degree and am currently doing a law postgrad in my specific field. But I work for the Department of Health currently and have worked for the NHS since graduation, I didn't think I would enjoy this until I studied healthcare law. However, now I am a bit stuck because most jobs in the NHS require some kind of science background or knowledge which I simply don't have. In hindsight, I should have done more research about the job market and chosen a more suitable degree. It's very difficult to choose when you're 18 and I genuinely did think back then that I wanted to be a lawyer, but studying the degree changed my mind. The education system in the UK makes it increasingly difficult to change career - it's near on impossible to fund a second degree, and the degrees that can be funded such as nursing are being cut now anyway. Just be mindful that if you 100% don't want to be a lawyer it's worth thinking about what kind of job you do want and if there is another degree that would be more useful, you don't want to graduate and realise you've got a burning passion for psychology because then you have to go about applying for and financing another set of qualifications entirely

[e] Also I think it's worth noting that you are choosing a very hard degree for someone who doesn't want to work in it. Law is a slog and a half. Plus, the entry requirements are in general much higher than for other subjects; say you were going to do Politics or something, most of the 'top' unis will let you in with AAB or ABB whereas for Law those grades you're looking at a lower tier university
(edited 7 years ago)
The reason I don't want to become a lawyer is because I'm not good at public speaking- but I know I want to do something law related in the future and it's the only degree that appeals to me. I know the grade requirements are high so I'll probably get in a worse uni than if I chose a different uni but I'd rather do something I enjoy than go to a high prestige university. I do law at a level and since I start it was the only subject I consistently got A's in

Posted from TSR Mobile
The reason I don't want to become a lawyer is because I'm not good at public speaking- but I know I want to do something law related in the future and it's the only degree that appeals to me. I know the grade requirements are high so I'll probably get in a worse uni than if I chose a different uni but I'd rather do something I enjoy than go to a high prestige university. I do law at a level and since I start it was the only subject I consistently got A's in

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to do public speaking if you're a solicitor. Barristers do the talking part, and solicitor-advocates also but you don't have to do that if you're a solicitor.

Also I wouldn't go by your law A level, one of my friends got an A* in law A level then he failed our first year and had to resit. If you like law though that's great, it's quite refreshing to see someone saying they want to study it because they're genuinely interested and not just because they want to earn mega bucks as a commercial solicitor. Anyways I would suggest doing some research into what solicitors do because it's not public speaking, isn't part of your A level about the difference between solicitors and barristers etc?

Quick Reply

Latest