The Student Room Group

I have schizophrenia

I know a lot of stigma is attached to this illness and I want to change that. Please post what your thoughts are of this illness (such as do you have multiple personalities) and I will try to answer your questions in the best way possible.

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1lastchance
I know a lot of stigma is attached to this illness and I want to change that. Please post what your thoughts are of this illness (such as do you have multiple personalities) and I will try to answer your questions in the best way possible.

:smile:

Do you have any awareness that your hallucinations and/or delusions aren't real? Or do you just have to ask other people to find out?
Reply 2
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Do you have any awareness that your hallucinations and/or delusions aren't real? Or do you just have to ask other people to find out?

I am generally aware when my thoughts are not those of a typical person, but that doesn't make them feel any less real. I often decide to not share these thoughts with others just because of their reactions.
What would you think of someone who claimed to have it but won't go to a profession to get diagnosed, if he/she even did have it?
Reply 4
What treatments are you undergoing right now/will undergo?
I am generally aware when my thoughts are not those of a typical person, but that doesn't make them feel any less real. I often decide to not share these thoughts with others just because of their reactions.

I asked because over the last year I've been getting thoughts that feel like paranoia but I 'know' they're probably not true but they feel real in that moment. And I mentioned it to my GP who told me that because I didn't believe them all the time then it's not a problem.
What actually constitutes as Schizophrenia? Like what's the difference between experiencing hallucinations to actual Schizophrenia?
What are your symptoms?
How did you manage to get diagnosed?

I've tried speaking to my GP about the possibility of having schizophrenia but no one seems to take me seriously when I tell them that I often realise my hallucinations aren't real.

What are the symptoms you struggle with most, apart from hallucinations?

(I think when people start to understand all the symptoms of schizophrenia, people will stop assuming "you're just the freak that sees things" -- obviously I'm not saying that to you haha).
Original post by Karaleigh19
How did you manage to get diagnosed?

I've tried speaking to my GP about the possibility of having schizophrenia but no one seems to take me seriously when I tell them that I often realise my hallucinations aren't real.

I've been diagnosed with Schizophrenia since 2011. The one thing that is true of Scizophrenia is you believe the hallucinations and delusions 100%. If someone says they are not real you often get into blazing arguments with them over it.

I can remember when my parents said that there weren't cameras all over the house watching me and I got so angry because I was 100% convinced they were there. It got to the stage where I couldn't go to the toilet of have a shower because I was convinced someone was watching me all the time. I also went through stages were I believed that there were microphones every where in the house so I went weeks without talking because I thought people were listening to everything I said and if I did talk it was about really trivial things I didn't care if someone heard like the weather.

So if you don't believe your hallucinations are real then don't worry about it.

The only reason I got diagnosed was because my parents went to the doctor behind my back. I believed I was 100% fine. If you go yourself it kinda means you are OK because you realise that these things are not real.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
What would you think of someone who claimed to have it but won't go to a profession to get diagnosed, if he/she even did have it?

I think that person should see the doctor before making such statements. They are only living a lie otherwise and they are the only one responsible for that lie. I don't know why anyone would claim to have schizophrenia, it isn't cool. It is a horrible illness and not one to claim to have. You don't see anyone claim to have diabetes but for some reason a chronic mental illness is seen as a goal.
Original post by BWV1007
What treatments are you undergoing right now/will undergo?

I have just spent 4 year in hospital and have now been discharged into the community on a CTO (community treatment order) which means if anything does go wrong I will have to go back into hospital. I see a psychologist, have a social worker and a psychiatrist.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I asked because over the last year I've been getting thoughts that feel like paranoia but I 'know' they're probably not true but they feel real in that moment. And I mentioned it to my GP who told me that because I didn't believe them all the time then it's not a problem.

Could it be anxiety?
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
What actually constitutes as Schizophrenia? Like what's the difference between experiencing hallucinations to actual Schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia is a psychotic disorder and hallucinations are a symptom of schizophrenia. It is comprised of a variety of symptoms, among them are hallucinations.Those experiencing hallucinations could be for a number of reasons, for example stress, not sleeping enough and drugs, none of which are schizophrenia but still share similar symptoms.
I have just spent 4 year in hospital and have now been discharged into the community on a CTO (community treatment order) which means if anything does go wrong I will have to go back into hospital. I see a psychologist, have a social worker and a psychiatrist.

As an in-patient? Also what's CTO? :K: And what do you mean by "if anything goes wrong"? You're making it sound like you've murdered someone or something lol
Original post by Breakingbank
What are your symptoms?

Voices, paranoia, delusions (although I don't think I have any delusions anymore). withdrawal. I used to have a lot more but the meds have helped me to block them out.
Original post by BWV1007
As an in-patient? Also what's CTO? :K: And what do you mean by "if anything goes wrong"? You're making it sound like you've murdered someone or something lol

Yes as an inpatient. A CTO is a Community Treatment Order. It is basically a set of conditions needed to adhere to or risk going back to hospital. For example the conditions may include taking meds and going to the outpatient facilities.

By 'something going wrong' I mean something like not taking medication. I could be brought back to hospital for that.
Reply 17
Do you ever hallucinate things that are completely mythical like say a unicorn? If so, can you tell that isn't reality?

Or is it a case of 'seeing is believing'?
Voices, paranoia, delusions (although I don't think I have any delusions anymore). withdrawal. I used to have a lot more but the meds have helped me to block them out.

do you remember how long the negative symptoms had been present before the positive ones came on?
Do you find that stress makes things a lot worse for you even with being on antipsychotics?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest