The Student Room Group

C3 Factor Formulae/R Formulae? [Edexcel]

Are students doing the edexcel c3 exam required to know the Factor and R formulae?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jamb97
Are students doing the edexcel c3 exam required to know the Factor and R formulae?

Thank you

Factor - no.

R - yes.
Original post by Zacken
Factor - no.

R - yes.

Hi could you tell me how I would simplify sin^2 theta x cos^2 theta using the double angle formulas?
Reply 3
Original post by mathshelp1956
Hi could you tell me how I would simplify sin^2 theta x cos^2 theta using the double angle formulas?

sin2θ×cos2θ=sinθsinθcosθcosθ=sinθcosθsinθcosθ\sin^2 \theta \times \cos^2 \theta = \sin \theta \sin \theta \cos \theta \cos \theta = \sin \theta \cos \theta \sin \theta \cos \theta

But you know that sin2θ=2sinθcosθsinθcosθ=sin2θ2\sin 2\theta = 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta \Rightarrow \sin \theta \cos \theta = \frac{\sin 2\theta}{2}

So sin2θcos2θ=sin2θ2sin2θ2\displaystyle \sin^2 \theta \cos^2 \theta = \frac{\sin 2\theta}{2} \frac{\sin 2\theta}{2}.

I'm sure you can take it from here.
Original post by Zacken
sin2θ×cos2θ=sinθsinθcosθcosθ=sinθcosθsinθcosθ\sin^2 \theta \times \cos^2 \theta = \sin \theta \sin \theta \cos \theta \cos \theta = \sin \theta \cos \theta \sin \theta \cos \theta

But you know that sin2θ=2sinθcosθsinθcosθ=sin2θ2\sin 2\theta = 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta \Rightarrow \sin \theta \cos \theta = \frac{\sin 2\theta}{2}

So sin2θcos2θ=sin2θ2sin2θ2\displaystyle \sin^2 \theta \cos^2 \theta = \frac{\sin 2\theta}{2} \frac{\sin 2\theta}{2}.

I'm sure you can take it from here.

Thank you so much. :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 5
Thank you so much. :biggrin::biggrin:

No worries.
Original post by Zacken
No worries.

Hi, I'm sorry to bother you again. Im stuck on simplifying 4sintheta costheta cos2theta. I just don't know where to start. Again, thanks for the help.
Reply 7
Hi, I'm sorry to bother you again. Im stuck on simplifying 4sintheta costheta cos2theta. I just don't know where to start. Again, thanks for the help.

4sinθcosθcos2θ=2cos2θ×2sinθcosθ=2sin2θcos2θ=4 \sin \theta \cos \theta \cos 2\theta = 2\cos 2\theta \times 2\sin \theta \cos \theta = 2\sin 2\theta \cos 2\theta = what?
Original post by Zacken
4sinθcosθcos2θ=2cos2θ×2sinθcosθ=2sin2θcos2θ=4 \sin \theta \cos \theta \cos 2\theta = 2\cos 2\theta \times 2\sin \theta \cos \theta = 2\sin 2\theta \cos 2\theta = what?

I don't understand how you went to the second line of 2cos2theta X 2sinthetacostheta
Reply 9
I don't understand how you went to the second line of 2cos2theta X 2sinthetacostheta

4=2×24 = 2\times 2.

So 4cosθsinθ=2×2cosθsinθ4 \cos \theta \sin \theta = 2\times 2 \cos \theta \sin \theta. But the latter bit is just sin2θ=2cosθsinθ\sin 2\theta = 2\cos \theta \sin \theta.

Hence 4cosθsinθcos2θ=2×2cosθsinθ×cos2θ=2×sin2θcos2θ4 \cos \theta \sin \theta \cos 2\theta = 2 \times 2 \cos \theta \sin \theta \times \cos 2\theta = 2 \times \sin 2\theta \cos 2\theta
I understand the last line. But how would you go from 2 X Sin2thetaCos2theta to Sin4theta?
Original post by Zacken
4=2×24 = 2\times 2.

So 4cosθsinθ=2×2cosθsinθ4 \cos \theta \sin \theta = 2\times 2 \cos \theta \sin \theta. But the latter bit is just sin2θ=2cosθsinθ\sin 2\theta = 2\cos \theta \sin \theta.

Hence 4cosθsinθcos2θ=2×2cosθsinθ×cos2θ=2×sin2θcos2θ4 \cos \theta \sin \theta \cos 2\theta = 2 \times 2 \cos \theta \sin \theta \times \cos 2\theta = 2 \times \sin 2\theta \cos 2\theta
Reply 11
I understand the last line. But how would you go from 2 X Sin2thetaCos2theta to Sin4theta?

2sinAcosA=sin2A2 \sin A \cos A = \sin 2A.

Here A=2θA = 2\theta so 2sin2θcos2θ=sin(2(2θ))=sin4θ2 \sin 2\theta \cos 2\theta = \sin (2(2\theta)) = \sin 4\theta.

Basically the double angle tells you 2 sin(anything) cos(anything) = sin (2 * anything), here your anything is 2θ2\theta and 2*anything is 4θ4\theta
Original post by Zacken
2sinAcosA=sin2A2 \sin A \cos A = \sin 2A.

Here A=2θA = 2\theta so 2sin2θcos2θ=sin(2(2θ))=sin4θ2 \sin 2\theta \cos 2\theta = \sin (2(2\theta)) = \sin 4\theta.

Basically the double angle tells you 2 sin(anything) cos(anything) = sin (2 * anything), here your anything is 2θ2\theta and 2*anything is 4θ4\theta

I can't thank you enough. By the way, would this be considered a more difficult trigonometry question?
Reply 13
I can't thank you enough. By the way, would this be considered a more difficult trigonometry question?

Don't worry about it. Uhm, I don't think so. I can see why it'd seem like that, but honestly, you'll get used to all these manipulations very fast with practice. :yes:
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
Factor - no.

R - yes.
Thanks for your answer! I want to give you rep but the forum will not let me. Could you also help me with this proving identity question please?

Prove that:

1/(cosecx+cotx) is identical to 1-cosx/sinx.

I have got up to sinx/1+cosx by manipulating the right hand side after not finding the left hand side doable, but I don't think I'm getting anywhere..
Reply 15
Original post by jamb97
Thanks for your answer! I want to give you rep but the forum will not let me. Could you also help me with this proving identity question please?

Prove that:

1/(cosecx+cotx) is identical to 1-cosx/sinx.

I have got up to sinx/1+cosx by manipulating the right hand side after not finding the left hand side doable, but I don't think I'm getting anywhere..

If I tell you that:

sinx1+cosx×1cosx1cosx\displaystyle \frac{\sin x}{1 + \cos x} \times \frac{1 - \cos x}{1 - \cos x}

Can you take it from here?

This is a bit tough to spot, I must admit.
Reply 16
Original post by Zacken
If I tell you that:

sinx1+cosx×1cosx1cosx\displaystyle \frac{\sin x}{1 + \cos x} \times \frac{1 - \cos x}{1 - \cos x}

Can you take it from here?

This is a bit tough to spot, I must admit.

Yeah I got it thanks, converted the denominator to sin^(2)x and it simplified nicely. You seem to be quite good at A-level maths so I hope you won't mind if I ask for your help again please, this time with a M1 question.

This is the M1 Delphis paper 4, question 2 and can be found here: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/m1-delphis/

My method was to resolve the 4N and 5N forces parallel to the 8N force. So I did 8N - (4cos30+5sin60) = 0.2... which is not correct. Could you explain why my method does not work and how to work out this correctly?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by jamb97
My method was to resolve the 4N and 5N forces parallel to the 8N force. So I did 8N - (4cos30+5sin60) = 0.2... which is not correct. Could you explain why my method does not work and how to work out this correctly?

Why are you resolving in such a weird direction if you want to find the resultant force? Resolve horizontally and vertically, then to get the resultant force, you just square, add and square root.

What you're doing when you do this is forming a force triangle with the base as your horizontal component, height as your vertical component, and your hypotenuse which is a2+b2\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} is your resultant force. The direction will then be the angle the hypotenuse makes with the horizontal/vertical.

If you resolve parallel to the 8 N force, you'd get the component acting in that direction and not the resultant. So it's of no use in finding the resultant force.
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
Why are you resolving in such a weird direction if you want to find the resultant force? Resolve horizontally and vertically, then to get the resultant force, you just square, add and square root.

What you're doing when you do this is forming a force triangle with the base as your horizontal component, height as your vertical component, and your hypotenuse which is a2+b2\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} is your resultant force. The direction will then be the angle the hypotenuse makes with the horizontal/vertical.

If you resolve parallel to the 8 N force, you'd get the component acting in that direction and not the resultant. So it's of no use in finding the resultant force.
Thanks, I think I understand now. Do you know where this theory comes from in the M1 Edexcel book? It seems a bit unfamiliar, the only thing I can think of is when finding the modulus but I think that's C4
Reply 19
Original post by jamb97
Thanks, I think I understand now. Do you know where this theory comes from in the M1 Edexcel book? It seems a bit unfamiliar, the only thing I can think of is when finding the modulus but I think that's C4

No, sorry. I've never seen the book.

Quick Reply

Latest