The Student Room Group

If I fail the second semester (and don't have enough credits)

Hi
I'm currently studying genetics with biochemistry at uni.
I passed all my first semester modules but unfortunately a member of
my family is seriously ill and I don't know if I'm gonna pass the second semester modules.
I am going to try, I really will try but I need to have a backup plan in case I fail them and the resits. I'm gonna need to be looking out for my family, because some of them are gonna really find it really hard, so they have to come first.

The way my course is weighted, the first semester doesn't have enough credits for me to go to the next year. One module I've been doing for both semesters but only counts for the second term (because this is when the exams are).

So my problem is this:
If I failed the second semester, and then the resits (again, hoping I don't but I need to be sure of backup) would they let me repeat the year? The problem with doing this is that (other than the one module that is over two terms) I'd have basically no lectures.

Now I know student finance funds an extra year, and my situation may count as extenuating circumstances. I've been a pretty good student, I've not gone to every lecture but I've gone to 98%, I've never been warned about my attendance whereas lots of people have.
However I don't know if they'd let me repeat the entire year, which is what I'd prefer to do (by then it's very likely our family member would have died and I would rather be at university where I can forget about it). Sorry if that sounds cruel but I think its what's best for me.
Will the university throw me out? Would they prevent me from going there for the first term?
Original post by LaserPro
Hi
I'm currently studying genetics with biochemistry at uni.
I passed all my first semester modules but unfortunately a member of
my family is seriously ill and I don't know if I'm gonna pass the second semester modules.
I am going to try, I really will try but I need to have a backup plan in case I fail them and the resits. I'm gonna need to be looking out for my family, because some of them are gonna really find it really hard, so they have to come first.

The way my course is weighted, the first semester doesn't have enough credits for me to go to the next year. One module I've been doing for both semesters but only counts for the second term (because this is when the exams are).

So my problem is this:
If I failed the second semester, and then the resits (again, hoping I don't but I need to be sure of backup) would they let me repeat the year? The problem with doing this is that (other than the one module that is over two terms) I'd have basically no lectures.

Now I know student finance funds an extra year, and my situation may count as extenuating circumstances. I've been a pretty good student, I've not gone to every lecture but I've gone to 98%, I've never been warned about my attendance whereas lots of people have.
However I don't know if they'd let me repeat the entire year, which is what I'd prefer to do (by then it's very likely our family member would have died and I would rather be at university where I can forget about it). Sorry if that sounds cruel but I think its what's best for me.
Will the university throw me out? Would they prevent me from going there for the first term?

Have you told the university about your relative, its likely that you might be able to put in for extensuating circumstances and they can help you now before you get to needing to do resits.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Have you told the university about your relative, its likely that you might be able to put in for extensuating circumstances and they can help you now before you get to needing to do resits.

That is a really good point, I will try that thank you!

Your personal tutor or student support service should be able to go through the process with you, it is a case to case basis sort of thing but at my uni people were able to get extensions or postpone exams till the summer in similar situations so dont go worrying about failing or having to resit anything yet :smile:

Also, resists are usually capped at 40%, however if you have extenuating circumstances (as you do) then often you can get a resist of this failed modules without the cap. But you need to tell the uni before your exams, not after you get the results.

Quick Reply

Latest