The Student Room Group

Immigrants aren't the problem

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
Ok I'm hiding whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pathetic. You're unwilling to answer me a simple question and rather than admit you have no idea you're hiding behind another poster.

You have no idea and that's because economics is not a science.

Just answer me please, why are wages in Norfolk low when there are almost no immigrants?
Original post by Howard
Well, duh! Because Norfolk is sparsely populated agricultural county with very few jobs. Centers of industry and commerce are few and far between.

So surely then places like McDonald's will pay far higher according to him as there is no immigration?

What I'm saying is that it's not as simple as less immigration = higher wages as there are a whole host of factors like you've mentioned which interact.

He's making out like economics is a perfect science and that if we there was less immigration wages would rise automatically.

That's not the case for a variety of reasons.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Bornblue
So surely then places like McDonald's will pay far higher according to him as there is no immigration?

What I'm saying is that it's not as simple as less immigration = higher wages as there are a whole host of factors like you've mentioned which interact.

He's making out like economics is a perfect science and that if we there was less immigration wages would rise.

No. There are so few jobs in Norfolk that McDonalds do not have to pay extra attract employees. Norfolk has an agricultural economy that is a fraction of what it was since the fisheries closed down.

There is sweet FA in Norfolk. Probably one of the reasons that immigrants don't bother setting foot in the place is that there are no jobs unless you want to clean the vomit off the sidewalk in Yarmouth.

I think we can all agree that wages are normally a function of supply and demand. That's Economics 101. I think you're trying to use Norfolk to disprove this, only in reverse, by pointing out that it doesn't have many immigrants so it should have higher wages. But it's a bit disingenuous as Norfolk is economically very different from major centers of commerce where the regular supply demand effect would be exhibited.
(edited 8 years ago)
Pathetic. You're unwilling to answer me a simple question and rather than admit you have no idea you're hiding behind another poster.

You have no idea and that's because economics is not a science.

Just answer me please, why are wages in Norfolk low when there are almost no immigrants?

Okay, you mad now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Howard
No. There are so few jobs in Norfolk that McDonalds do not have to pay extra attract employees. Norfolk has an agricultural economy that is a fraction of what it was since the fisheries closed down.

There is sweet FA in Norfolk. Probably one of the reasons that immigrants don't bother setting foot in the place is that there are no jobs unless you want to clean the vomit off the sidewalk in Yarmouth.

I think we can all agree that wages are normally a function of supply and demand. That's Economics 101. I think you're trying to use Norfolk to disprove this, only in reverse, by pointing out that it doesn't have many immigrants so it should have higher wages. But it's a bit disingenuous as Norfolk is economically very different from jmajor centers of commerce where the regular supply demand effect would be exhibited.

What you're doing is showing as I've said, that there are various factors which determine wages.

Do you really think McDonald's and Starbucks will start paying more if there were less immigrants? Of course not and ther reason they pay low is not to do with immigration but because the jobs are low skilled and anyone can do them. There will always be poor and unemployed people willing to accept the minimum wage, especially as we are cutting out of work benefits.

Yes supply and demand is the general rule but it's not an exact science as there are a multitude of factors which interact, determine and qualify these things.

London has huge immigration and far higher wages than most places... Applying a simple supply and demand equation without taking other factors into account doesn't work.
Also bear in mind if there are less immigrants there is less demand and less need for jobs in the first place.

The idea that McDonald's and Starbucks would start paying their workers more if there were less immigrants, is naive.

Such an approach makes out like employers and employees are an equal footing, they are not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by paul514
Okay, you mad now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cluck cluck.
You're hiding, on a bloody student forum it's laughable.
First OP @kabbage i understand what you were implying and your intentions were good, however your post is very mis-informed alot of doctors, lawyers, CEOs and just genuinely well paid people who are not white were "immigrants" at some point and now make alot of money, i know what you were implying as these people now arent really seen as "immigrants" as they are now settled with the right to stay etc etc.

Secondly the debate on this thread is ridiculous and quite frankly its quite small minded; Immigrants did not STEAL anyones job. As someone quite rightly mentioned you cant steal something which belonged to NO-ONE. And if ALL jobs in this country belong to white people then why dont we sack all the asian doctors and see how the NHS fares..

Thirdly; To say immigrants dont deserve the jobs is comical, i dont care if unemployment is high and uneducated people cant get jobs (Its not that they cant alot just dont want to work), if the employer picks a "dirty little immigrant" over you i would not say its his fault infact i would question your own credentials (since you all think so lowly of immigrants).

Lastly; Alot of "natives" are more than happy to sit and scrounge on benefits and blame the "immigrants" for their failings. They did not ask you too drop out at 16 and have 11 Es at GCSE. Also as mentioned by OP; immigrants do alot of the "dirty" work which the british simply WONT do. Take car cleaning as ONE example, go to any car cleaning place and it is run by "immigrants" why cant the native do that? Oh its abit cold outside aw.

I live in one of the wealthiest areas in this country - Some of the richest people on my street are "immigrants" - Stop using these people as scapegoats they are not second class citizens so please stop treating them like one.
What you're doing is showing as I've said, that there are various factors which determine wages.

Do you really think McDonald's and Starbucks will start paying more if there were less immigrants? Of course not and ther reason they pay low is not to do with immigration but because the jobs are low skilled and anyone can do them. There will always be poor and unemployed people willing to accept the minimum wage, especially as we are cutting out of work benefits.

Yes supply and demand is the general rule but it's not an exact science as there are a multitude of factors which interact, determine and qualify these things.

London has huge immigration and far higher wages than most places... Applying a simple supply and demand equation without taking other factors into account doesn't work.
Also bear in mind if there are less immigrants there is less demand and less need for jobs in the first place.

The idea that McDonald's and Starbucks would start paying their workers more if there were less immigrants, is naive.

Such an approach makes out like employers and employees are an equal footing, they are not.

He's just said the same as me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68

Yes supply and demand is the general rule but it's not an exact science as there are a multitude of factors which interact and determine these things.

Indeed. Starbuck and McDonalds will never pay more because with or without immigrants it's a low skilled job that anybody can do. But the impact of immigration isn't felt in low skilled jobs as much as with mid skilled jobs, and professionals. As I've said before, a British man enjoyed a "comfortable life" as a forklift driver in the 70's and 80's and maybe even later. Today competition for that job from immigrants is (one factor that is) driving down the wage.

So I agree. It's not a one size fits all debate. Location, skill requirement, and a lot of other factors can impact this dynamic. The number of immigrants can have massive effect or negligible effect depending on what we're talking about.
Tripe. Pure tripe.
GCSE economics stuff at best.
Less immigration does not equal higher wages. If it did Norfolk would have the highest wages in the country, north korea would have the highest wages in the world...

Corporations will continue to pay as little as they can to workers. Ir the minimum wage. There will always be people desperate for jobs, immigrants or not and corporations will always be able to get away with exploiting people, taking advanatge of their poverty to pay low wages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Norfolk doesn't have the sufficient demand or infrastructure, Corporations will pay what they can get away with, hence why they pay the wage rate at which people are willing to accept, I don't care if you think it's tripe as I get A* in my unit 4. Less immigrants=Higher wages, less inflation, less house inflation. Not really hard it is, by your logic we should let 10m migrants in within a year and it'll have no effect on wages.... But Norfolk............................................... North Korea isn't even a country that has capitalism you ignorant ****.
Reply 70
Original post by balanced
Firstly, nice facts.

Secondly, what I have highlighted in bold just shows us how uneducated you are on the issue.

lol a Trump supporter talking about education here
Original post by Conservationofmass
Norfolk doesn't have the sufficient demand or infrastructure, Corporations will pay what they can get away with, hence why they pay the wage rate at which people are willing to accept, I don't care if you think it's tripe as I get A* in my unit 4. Less immigrants=Higher wages, less inflation, less house inflation. Not really hard it is, by your logic we should let 10m migrants in within a year and it'll have no effect on wages.... But Norfolk............................................... North Korea isn't even a country that has capitalism you ignorant ****.

No. Economics is not a perfect science as you're suggesting and I don't care how many A*s you get.

There are a multitude of factors which determine wages. You even say yourself that corporations will pay what they can get away with and that will continue to be the case. There will always be people willing to work for the minimum wage.
No. Economics is not a perfect science as you're suggesting and I don't care how many A*s you get.

There are a multitude of factors which determine wages. You even say yourself that corporations will pay what they can get away with and that will continue to be the case. There will always be people willing to work for the minimum wage.

It will continue as long as the supply of workers is too high for the demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514

If a "immigrant" takes you job it is not supply and demand, the employer just did not want you. I would like ive mentioned have deep think about your own qualifications instead of blaming immigrants for your own failings.

Also if the native were so "hard working" and were so desperate for jobs, why did they want to call miners from overseas? Why did they have to call doctors to fill gaps?
Original post by TSRFT8
If a "immigrant" takes you job it is not supply and demand, the employer just did not want you. I would like ive mentioned have deep think about your own qualifications instead of blaming immigrants for your own failings.

Also if the native were so "hard working" and were so desperate for jobs, why did they want to call miners from overseas? Why did they have to call doctors to fill gaps?

Migrants don't effect my profession and neither am I talking about individual professions I'm talking in the main about unskilled labour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ULT
Don't ask him that, its too complex for his frail old brain to understand.

You're so thirsty for replies lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Howard
Indeed. Starbuck and McDonalds will never pay more because with or without immigrants it's a low skilled job that anybody can do. But the impact of immigration isn't felt in low skilled jobs as much as with mid skilled jobs, and professionals. As I've said before, a British man enjoyed a "comfortable life" as a forklift driver in the 70's and 80's and maybe even later. Today competition for that job from immigrants is (one factor that is) driving down the wage.

So I agree. It's not a one size fits all debate. Location, skill requirement, and a lot of other factors can impact this dynamic. The number of immigrants can have massive effect or negligible effect depending on what we're talking about.

Is that not partly because we are moving increasingly away from factory type work into more of a service sector economy?
Original post by ULT
Shut up dont talk to me you degenerative paedophile.

You're thirsty for children that's why you're on TSR conversing with them and trying to groom them

Enjoy your report :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it will not.
McDonalds and Starbucks pay low wages because the work can be done by anyone and there will always be people who need a job.

It has nothing to do with immigration.
No, it will not.
McDonalds and Starbucks pay low wages because the work can be done by anyone and there will always be people who need a job.

It has nothing to do with immigration.

So if there are 70 workers for 80 jobs then the companies don't compete for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending