The Student Room Group

People in long-term relationships: Don't you get bored of the same person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
That's very different, i would never get bored of my best friend. I don't get bored because we share interests and always enjoy everything we do together and we know each other incredibly well, we have a stronger and generally better relationship than i have with any of the rest of my family.

There's a big difference between a best friend and a spouse.

Original post by Rhythmical
That's lust though. Love is much more deeper and becomes an emotional connection. You learn to love and live with them and accept their flaws. They're your best friend, partner and everything you could imagine. Lust is just the butterflies that people feel and unless you are serious about each other then it turns into love. A lot of teenage romances and relationships are just based on lust and infatuation.

That still doesn't answer my question. After building an "emotional connection" and "you learn to love and live with their flaws", what happens next? The lust is gone, and the love that remains is essentially the same love you hold for any other family member/close friend.

Original post by donutellme
Don't you get tired of your parents or being yourself?

Read post #16.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fire_and_ice
That's unconditional love and entirely different to that of a spouse. You 'love' them, but you're not 'in love' with them.

When you find "The One" *gag cheesy title* you get both, you are both In love with them in an intimate, physical and emotional fashion, but develop the same level of unconditional love that one has towards a family member.
I understand where you're coming from. I am sorry that you guys broke up.

And I can relate to what you're going through. I am feeling the aftermath of a relationship as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by xobeauty
You know the thrills you get in the first stages,blushing, butterflies, getting to know each other, the newly fresh flirting, the guessing games.

What's exciting after two years +
At that point it's just for sex,no?

I think that's quite an immature way of thinking which is probably why you're not ready for a long term relationship which is completely fine.

A long term relationship provides much more than sex, you have someone you can share anything and everything with, experiences you can share together, milestones you reach together which are equally as exciting as a fresh relationship.
nope :smile: my boyfriend and I are nearly 3 years going strong ready to turn 18 around our anniversary
Original post by fire_and_ice
There's a big difference between a best friend and a spouse.

That still doesn't answer my question. After building an "emotional connection" and "you learn to love and live with their flaws", what happens next? The lust is gone, and the love that remains is essentially the same love you hold for any other family member/close friend.

Read post #16.

What else is it supposed to be?

You feel the same love for your partner that you do for anyone else you care about? Except in this instance there is physical attraction + intimacy.

Also, spouse is meant to be your best friend (or at least one of them). Not a huge difference at all.

The whole reason you don't get "bored" is because you're happy with what you've got.
No. He sometimes annoys me and sometimes we do things we have done a million times before but he never bores me and that's been after 7 years now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xobeauty
Pretty much.

That's why all I'm considering at the end of the day is...
is he a good provider, will he be a good father, does he have the basic skills to teach our kids things such as skating, teaching them how to ride bikes, how to play every sport, and family values. And I'll be miserable it's ok.

lol what..?
Original post by Spock's Socks
No. He sometimes annoys me and sometimes we do things we have done a million times before but he never bores me and that's been after 7 years now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope you have a (even) longer and prosperous relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was in a relationship that went on for a while and did get bored, but that will probably be down to the fact I'm just weird
Not bored yet and can't imagine getting bored anytime soon. Everything is just as wonderful as it was when we first started getting close.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hezzlington
lol what..?

What, what?

Kids need to know how to do these things to keep fit and healthy.
Original post by Legendary Quest
Do you get bored of your family? Mum? Dad? Brother? Sister?

Yes
. . . . N O
Original post by RobML
yes

As if you're in a relationship
Reply 55
Original post by Little Popcorns
As if you're in a relationship

wiv ur mam
Im grateful irl I have such good humour and make people laugh quiet easily ngl. People won't get bored of me :smile:
Original post by Changing Skies
Not bored yet and can't imagine getting bored anytime soon. Everything is just as wonderful as it was when we first started getting close.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But how do you achieve that?
what am i even doing here...ive never been in a relationship, and even so, the longest it was was 2 hours as a dream...
Reply 59
Lust doesn't go away in a long term relationship. You just have other things too. I think sometimes they become part of the furniture and then at random times it's like you really see them again properly and all the emotions from when you first met kinda rush forward. You feel more attracted to them, lucky that they've picked you and just really in love.

It can't be like that all the time. What's sexy and loving about laundry and the mortgage? But you do get moments where they're cooking the dinner or they've done something nice and you just get that moment of, I'm so glad I'm with you.

I don't get bored. At least once a day my partner makes me laugh so hard I worry about peeing myself! Some days we talk less but it's comfortable silence.

It's okay if you're not in the place to want that kind of relationship. We mature and want different things. We look less for people to fill particular gaps in our life for us.

Quick Reply

Latest