The Student Room Group

Tired of revision? Can't focus? Need more energy? Try this...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Legendary Quest
I'm going to try this soon. I actually do find that I can do so much more revision in the morning than the evening anyway. :smile: What kind of foods do you eat during your 8 hr window?

Great! Good luck with it :h:

I usually break my fast with a large meal that consists of a healthy protein source, carbohydrate source and fat source. Most days I make several chicken wraps using chicken breast which I cook each morning, or in bulk before hand, and finish it off with some avocado as a source of healthy fats.

I also have some sort of 'snack' thing, like a protein bar. I wouldn't advise getting any as they are very expensive for what they are. However, I work for the world's largest online retailer of supplements and sports nutrition products so I get them for free.

In the evening I will have another meal, again with source(s) of protein, carbs and fats. This is often smaller than the meal I have to break my fast.

I usually eat fruit between the meals.

That's just what I do, you can really eat whatever you like. Just make sure it's a good nutritious meal that you have when breaking the fast and you'll feel full and satiated for a good while after.
Original post by .JC.
Thank you! I hope you find it works for you.

Don't drink too much coffee, as the effects of it are greater when in a fasted state. Start with one cup to have when you get up and then start revising/working or whatever. After an hour or so if you feel you need another, have one. I like drinking coffee full stop and don't drink it other than when I'm fasting so will usually have a couple of cups.

No problemm.
I'm used to drinking coffee late into night/morning of working, so I should be good. I love coffee anyways:biggrin:
But thank you!
Reply 42
Original post by Anon_98
Your OP.

I did not suggest having a lack of food at all. Not having breakfast is not a lack of food.

Original post by Anon_98
No, it doesn't lol. If you miss breakfast + lunch for example, then have dinner at 5:00pm. It does not mean you're having breakfast + lunch at 5:00pm. It means you lacked breakfast + lunch.

I never said don't eat lunch, or even eat that late. I said specifically that I eat for the first time around lunch time, meaning I'm only 'missing' breakfast, and I ensure I get sufficient calories in throughout the period where I am eating. All I said is push back your first meal/don't eat as early in the day.

Original post by Anon_98
I would not class "Having several coffee cups" as using it right. Quite the opposite.

Several cups of coffee is just a few hundred milligrams of caffeine, which is a healthy amount. Also, the several was actually meant to be a bit of a joke as I know how much people love their coffee. I usually have one cup first thing, and then one a couple of hours later. I have no negative effects doing this so I'd say I'm pretty sure that I'm using it effectively.

Original post by Anon_98
Such as..?

Procrastination, drinking, eating crappy junk food, playing games, spending time on here, etc. There's many more things I've missed out. This isn't what my OP was about but some of these are more harmful than what you're suggesting IF is.

Original post by Anon_98
Uh maybe bc this thread has nothing to do with every single bad revision technique a student has ever took part in. Rather, it's regarding your "idea".

No, it's about a good experience I have had with intermittent fasting that I wanted to share in order to help other people out. All they have to do it try it; it's not going to do any harm. If they find it works, great! If not, they don't have to do it. I don't see any problem here.

Original post by Anon_98
Like I said, I'm tired now.

Then maybe you should stop quoting every other sentence of mine.
Original post by .JC.

Next time anyone thinks they're hungry, I advise they drink a large glass of water and find something to occupy themselves with. In 10 minutes or so I'm sure any hunger cravings will have surpassed.

What on earth.

No, next time someone thinks they're hungry they should eat. If it's not doing any harm then why would they attempt to fix a non-issue.
Play nice, guys, otherwise I'll have to close this thread.
Reply 45
Original post by Anon_98
What on earth.

No, next time someone thinks they're hungry they should eat. If it's not doing any harm then why would they attempt to fix a non-issue.

That's why most people nowadays are overweight, they eat whenever they think they are hungry, or even when not.

Seriously I've no idea how you can call what I'm saying dangerous, but you'll happily say eat whenever you like.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Mochassassin
Play nice, guys, otherwise I'll have to close this thread.

Nothing wrong with a little debate :u:
Original post by Anon_98
What on earth.

It's something to try. It works for people, some do a 10hr, some 8 and some hour window. It does no harm and can benefit, it's not like OP is recommending not eating for the entire day. Something to try. Just because it's not what everyone else is doing, it doesn't mean it's dangerous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol if you think not eating for a short period of time most of which you are asleep is harmful then you're severely mistaken. If that's your logic then why do hundreds of millions of Muslims fast for a period of a month and only eat in the evening and turn out perfectly fine, Jews as well fast for periods of 24hrs, turn out fine.

The amount the OP is suggesting is much lower so it's not going to have any effect on you.

I think I'll try this tomorrow, I'll take tea though, hate coffee lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by .JC.
Great! Good luck with it :h:

I usually break my fast with a large meal that consists of a healthy protein source, carbohydrate source and fat source. Most days I make several chicken wraps using chicken breast which I cook each morning, or in bulk before hand, and finish it off with some avocado as a source of healthy fats.

I also have some sort of 'snack' thing, like a protein bar. I wouldn't advise getting any as they are very expensive for what they are. However, I work for the world's largest online retailer of supplements and sports nutrition products so I get them for free.

In the evening I will have another meal, again with source(s) of protein, carbs and fats. This is often smaller than the meal I have to break my fast.

I usually eat fruit between the meals.

That's just what I do, you can really eat whatever you like. Just make sure it's a good nutritious meal that you have when breaking the fast and you'll feel full and satiated for a good while after.

Ok, I'll try it out but I might make my eating window slightly longer because I struggle to eat large meals. I prefer many small ones :tongue: I have heard loads of good things about intermittent fasting though. I think people generally just don't like the idea of it because we are always told to eat a 'healthy amount'.
Original post by .JC.
Nothing wrong with a little debate :u:

Hence 'play nice' before it turns into a fight.
Reply 51
For those asking for links, here you go.

This outlines some of the different methods: http://dailyburn.com/life/health/intermittent-fasting-methods/

Here is a Q and A with Michael Mosley regarding the 5:2 method: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/

I believe there was a documentary on it where he tried it out after speaking with a group of people who did it, and he is not a strong believer. The people who had done it all their life had their health and fitness tested and were found to be as healthy as you humanly could be.

Here is a referenced article with studies supporting the claims for each of the benefits: https://authoritynutrition.com/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/
Reply 52
Ok, I'll try it out but I might make my eating window slightly longer because I struggle to eat large meals. I prefer many small ones :tongue: I have heard loads of good things about intermittent fasting though. I think people generally just don't like the idea of it because we are always told to eat a 'healthy amount'.

Indeed, that sounds like a good idea. There is no risk as long as you ensure that you eat enough calories in your eating window. Lots of people start out fasting for less time, and after a few weeks they increase the fast little by little.

Some people opt to do an eating window that is only a few hours long, but for me that doesn't make it enjoyable or sustainable. What I'm doing works for me, and that's all that is important.

Original post by Mochassassin
Hence 'play nice' before it turns into a fight.

In all honesty, I think it may have reached that point already.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd try this but I'm too embarrassed of my stomach rumbling in school :rofl:
Original post by Anon_98
What on earth.

Fasting really isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. He is not suggesting that you starve yourself. He is merely saying that you rearrange your eating schedule so you don't eat in the morning. This is a technique that many people have used for a very long time and has worked for them. I am not going to say it will work for everyone because I don't know that. But don't just dismiss it because you think it's harmful. It really isn't. OP probably eats just as much as you but at slightly different times. :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Student403

Hahaha I found mine did this a little when I first started, but I've not experienced any rumbling recently or whilst I've been doing this from home until 1-2pm.
Original post by Student403

and crusty lips :frown:
and crusty lips :frown:

YES! It's so hot here :lol:
I feel like this would work (for me at least).
I kind of already do it unintentionally...I tend not to eat after about 8pm most days, and I can't eat in the mornings (it makes me feel physically sick). I usually first eat between 11 and 11:30am.
However, I don't drink coffee (simply don't like the taste), and try to avoid energy drinks as I have quite a fast resting heart rate anyway and don't want to cause any problems - so I'd probably just use water. I'd also push back breakfast an hour or so - as I'm willing to try this out.

I currently actually find that I concentrate better in the mornings, one reason is probably what you've mentioned, but also food is a huge distraction for me. When I take a break, I never want to go back to revising. But I'll probably give this a shot, as to be honest at this point I can't lose :tongue:
I had so much hope whilst clicking on this thread. :emo:

I fasted during my exams last year (including revision time and throughout the actual exam). Never again. :no:

Food is life. Life is food.

Quick Reply

Latest