The Student Room Group

Dealing with flatmates who use gas and electric to excess.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doodle_333
you can disagree with me all you like but it doesn't change the fact that there is no solution which you are going to be happy with here, you cannot force them to do anything and in my opinion you are taking some things too far (e.g. insisting you shouldn't clean upstairs) which is not going to do you any favours, I stand by everything I said in my last post

I know there is no good solution.

At the same time you have just shrugged your shoulders and told me to get on with it.

And FYI I have been doing this rota since start of September and been disputing it since day 1.

But as a matter of interest if I never go upstairs in fact if anything im not allowed to go upstairs why should I clean up there? If I lived upstairs and they all lived downstairs I would have no problem since even if I just used downstairs to access the stairway I would still use it but as is im doing nothing at all.

That would be like saing you lived in a block of flats and were told to clean the entire communal areas even if you were on the ground floor, hey one of them lives in the attic room and wants his private stairs hoovered and he is only one that uses them

You say I can't force them to do anything so why can they force me to do something? Little unbalanced.

So how do you propose that I pay this money they were the ones to spend considering I have no overdraft as too young, no relatives to pay it, and as is live off things like noodles and pasta? and what stops them from using even more.

Is it fair they are shoving their workload onto me?

That reminds me of another thing they do which is silly, I have my own cheap washing up liquid, even that they think should be shared/taken turns they have even knocked on my door telling me off for using the supermarket budget range liquid and demanding I buy the good stuff and wash it again, really expect everything to be luxury, so if I use my own to do own dishes and never theirs they still expect me to buy one because "even if you use it once that means you have used it"

How do you dea with people like that!
Reply 21
Your housemates sound like ballbags. You should move out.
You're doing a lot of ranting but your best solution is move.

If you can't, then you're simply going to have to make the best of it.
Stop being a pushover, I don't clean others plates, I clean my own. If they're constantly dirty, I either wash them but leave them dirty again, or just clean them. Hell, keep spare stuff in your room if you own it. I'd tell them to f**** off about cleaning upstairs, I clean my room, occasionally the communal rooms that I use.
As to the bills, afraid you can't change that if they won't. Turn stuff off when you can.
As to the stealing, hide it in your room. As to the demanding you buy fancy liquid, tell them to piss off and buy it themselves if they want it.
As to the leaving when a girl is interested, tell them to f* off again, and take the girl elsewhere.
If you stop being a pushover, learn to stand up for yourself, it'll be easier.
Reply 23
1. Get a job.
2. Why did you move out with no money?
3. Grow a pair and say "no" to things ffs.
4. You said when you were living on your own it was much cheaper, why don't you live on your own?
5. A towel and toiletries don't take much space in a bag. That's a lame excuse not to shower at college and 2-3 showers a week for someone your age isn't enough.
6.You change your clothes 3 times a day, either you have a hell of a lot of clothes or you use the washing machine an awful lot too.
Original post by Anonymous
I know there is no good solution.

At the same time you have just shrugged your shoulders and told me to get on with it.

yes, this is just what flatshares are like, if there is no good solution then your options are to get on with it or move out, if you go to uni you will come up against these sorts of things over and over again and fighting them constantly will just leave you exhausted and stressed all the time

And FYI I have been doing this rota since start of September and been disputing it since day 1.

But as a matter of interest if I never go upstairs in fact if anything im not allowed to go upstairs why should I clean up there? If I lived upstairs and they all lived downstairs I would have no problem since even if I just used downstairs to access the stairway I would still use it but as is im doing nothing at all.

That would be like saing you lived in a block of flats and were told to clean the entire communal areas even if you were on the ground floor, hey one of them lives in the attic room and wants his private stairs hoovered and he is only one that uses them

you can dispute the rota all you like, that's pretty meaningless... have they banned you from using the stairs? I doubt that, and it sounds like they physically can't as you pay for use of the bathroom which is upstairs, so you never go upstairs to brush your teeth or anything? you've already admitted you use the shower a few times a week... it is nothing like your example, you have access to and in theory use all of the communal areas so you need to clean them, as I said, trying to divide stuff up according to who created what mess will turn into a mess of its own and is impractical, you create mess downstairs which they clean as well... it takes you all of about 3 minutes to hoover a stair case so does it really matter?

You say I can't force them to do anything so why can they force me to do something? Little unbalanced.

they can't force you to do anything you're not contractually obliged to do (e.g. if your name is on bills you have to pay them), but refusing to participate in something like a cleaning rota will make living there unbearable as they will all be furious with you and it can cause no end of arguments... you feel like they can force you because they are all in agreement and there are more of them than there are of you so they hold all the power

So how do you propose that I pay this money they were the ones to spend considering I have no overdraft as too young, no relatives to pay it, and as is live off things like noodles and pasta? and what stops them from using even more.

this is where I said you made a stupid decision to move there, personally I would move out, you are not in a position financially to support yourself properly unless you can find a job alongside school... I don't know how you even got someone to let to you, I had to prove I earned an adequate salary before getting a contract (which meant 2.5x the rent), it's your responsibility to be able to pay for stuff and if you can't that isn't their problem

what workload?

That reminds me of another thing they do which is silly, I have my own cheap washing up liquid, even that they think should be shared/taken turns they have even knocked on my door telling me off for using the supermarket budget range liquid and demanding I buy the good stuff and wash it again, really expect everything to be luxury, so if I use my own to do own dishes and never theirs they still expect me to buy one because "even if you use it once that means you have used it"

okay, well my personal feeling is that I hate any shared products in shared houses because it always generates arguments like this... I lived with a girl and whenever it was her turn to buy toilet paper she bought a value 4 pack, when it was anyone else's turn they bought a decent branded 9 pack, it was unfair on everyone else to spend more when she used the nice toilet paper 75% of the time but at the same time you can't force someone to spend more than they want to on anything... I think everyone should have their own stuff and if they aren't happy with you washing it with that they can wash it themselves (personally I'd want to wash my pots with decent stuff). However, as I've said, you're going to be outvoted and outargued if you attempt to fight them on this. Also, if you do use theirs occasionally then they have a point and you should contribute.
yes, this is just what flatshares are like, if there is no good solution then your options are to get on with it or move out, if you go to uni you will come up against these sorts of things over and over again and fighting them constantly will just leave you exhausted and stressed all the time

you can dispute the rota all you like, that's pretty meaningless... have they banned you from using the stairs? I doubt that, and it sounds like they physically can't as you pay for use of the bathroom which is upstairs, so you never go upstairs to brush your teeth or anything? you've already admitted you use the shower a few times a week... it is nothing like your example, you have access to and in theory use all of the communal areas so you need to clean them, as I said, trying to divide stuff up according to who created what mess will turn into a mess of its own and is impractical, you create mess downstairs which they clean as well... it takes you all of about 3 minutes to hoover a stair case so does it really matter?

they can't force you to do anything you're not contractually obliged to do (e.g. if your name is on bills you have to pay them), but refusing to participate in something like a cleaning rota will make living there unbearable as they will all be furious with you and it can cause no end of arguments... you feel like they can force you because they are all in agreement and there are more of them than there are of you so they hold all the power

this is where I said you made a stupid decision to move there, personally I would move out, you are not in a position financially to support yourself properly unless you can find a job alongside school... I don't know how you even got someone to let to you, I had to prove I earned an adequate salary before getting a contract (which meant 2.5x the rent), it's your responsibility to be able to pay for stuff and if you can't that isn't their problem

okay, well my personal feeling is that I hate any shared products in shared houses because it always generates arguments like this... I lived with a girl and whenever it was her turn to buy toilet paper she bought a value 4 pack, when it was anyone else's turn they bought a decent branded 9 pack, it was unfair on everyone else to spend more when she used the nice toilet paper 75% of the time but at the same time you can't force someone to spend more than they want to on anything... I think everyone should have their own stuff and if they aren't happy with you washing it with that they can wash it themselves (personally I'd want to wash my pots with decent stuff). However, as I've said, you're going to be outvoted and outargued if you attempt to fight them on this. Also, if you do use theirs occasionally then they have a point and you should contribute.

I don't mind cleaning the stairs as thats what I use, but they want me to hoover the entire floor they are on and the stairs to the guys attic room as well, so I dont mind cleaning the areas I use so I am not refusing to do the rota nor the dishes as much as I will do my actual share not other peoples.

And I used a literal drop of liquid once when I was scouring something, and then left a branded bottle in kitchen for them to use which they did and still complained.

I buy my own toilet paper and such as I am fine with what I have so never use theirs though they seem to think I am because if they have guests they use it so they say it "runs out too quickly so someone else must be using it"

I create "mess" downstairs not a chance I am quite OCD with cleaning and use dustpan and brush all the time anyway and take my own rubbish out all the time I even dust and polish the furniture and shampooed the carpet (which makes me seem quite nutty but just want a clean space) That is part of the reason I am angry as I am going above and beyond anyway and they don't care then tell me to do more, I have even steam cleaned the windows on regular occasions and weeded the garden and brushed down all the dust.

Now tell me they are cleaning up after me.

They are even to the point knocking on my door at 4pm on the dot saying "why haven't you started the cleaning yet" and yet they can arrive back late as been shopping or for a drink at pub and not get back to 6pm and don't start to later (but they do it)

Regardless I have done all the cleaning to now but since day one they have gone behind my back and called me names like freak, even had landlord phone and have them claim I was smelly.

My responsibility to pay for stuff? I am I am NEVER late with rent but they are taking advantage, I have little free time to get a job as my course requires a lot of outside work even things like work experience and I have no care for luxuries so don't need to work yet.
I don't mind cleaning the stairs as thats what I use, but they want me to hoover the entire floor they are on and the stairs to the guys attic room as well, so I dont mind cleaning the areas I use so I am not refusing to do the rota nor the dishes as much as I will do my actual share not other peoples.

And I used a literal drop of liquid once when I was scouring something, and then left a branded bottle in kitchen for them to use which they did and still complained.

I buy my own toilet paper and such as I am fine with what I have so never use theirs though they seem to think I am because if they have guests they use it so they say it "runs out too quickly so someone else must be using it"

I create "mess" downstairs not a chance I am quite OCD with cleaning and use dustpan and brush all the time anyway and take my own rubbish out all the time I even dust and polish the furniture and shampooed the carpet (which makes me seem quite nutty but just want a clean space) That is part of the reason I am angry as I am going above and beyond anyway and they don't care then tell me to do more, I have even steam cleaned the windows on regular occasions and weeded the garden and brushed down all the dust.

Now tell me they are cleaning up after me.

They are even to the point knocking on my door at 4pm on the dot saying "why haven't you started the cleaning yet" and yet they can arrive back late as been shopping or for a drink at pub and not get back to 6pm and don't start to later (but they do it)

Regardless I have done all the cleaning to now but since day one they have gone behind my back and called me names like freak, even had landlord phone and have them claim I was smelly.

My responsibility to pay for stuff? I am I am NEVER late with rent but they are taking advantage, I have little free time to get a job as my course requires a lot of outside work even things like work experience and I have no care for luxuries so don't need to work yet.

You've had all the advice you can get here and all you can do is continue to argue about how hard done by you are. As I said, it's normal and you can't stop it. You've put yourself in a silly and vulnerable financial position. I would move out.
Original post by MJ1012
1. Get a job.
2. Why did you move out with no money?
3. Grow a pair and say "no" to things ffs.
4. You said when you were living on your own it was much cheaper, why don't you live on your own?
5. A towel and toiletries don't take much space in a bag. That's a lame excuse not to shower at college and 2-3 showers a week for someone your age isn't enough.
6.You change your clothes 3 times a day, either you have a hell of a lot of clothes or you use the washing machine an awful lot too.

1. Why? I don't need to as long as I don't subsidise other people.
2.Because one had no way of making money (parents live in middle of nowhere so no jobs) put it this way its over £5 return to the town centre from my parents and 8 miles and the town itself has closed factories and shops in past 10 years and what jobs remain are going to immigrants who commute in from a city of all things I applied for work since my school days and was turned down bar 1 job I got that lasted 6 days which was relief work of which I used to help me when at college last year.
3. I have already said no to things multiple times hence me refusing to do certain things more than enough considering I have aspergers.
4 When I lived on my own it was looking after relatives properties and despite having daily showers I spent very little I don't want a large flat if I just need a room.
5. My course requires me to use a laptop, and have books which both fill up a bag and make it heavy then I walk to class which is 35-40 minutes walk (even if I got the bus its not any quicker as no buses to town centre so 15 minute walk then 10 minutes on bus then a few minutes to walk to class.
6. I wear a lot of t shirts and tracksuit bottoms or just plain trousers and I HAND WASH them as stated above, I fill up the washing machine so its only used once a week and never tumble dry, these guys tend to do it pretty much every day as they have gym clothes, college clothes, clothes for in the house and clothes for going out with.
You've had all the advice you can get here and all you can do is continue to argue about how hard done by you are. As I said, it's normal and you can't stop it. You've put yourself in a silly and vulnerable financial position. I would move out.

Actually I am arguing that its not advice more than anything.

How am I meant to move out when I don't have money and even if I did the contract runs until July?

In all the house itself is beautiful too, the other student accomodation I have seen isn't on the same level and its a beautiful walk to college and reasonable rent level.

That being said if I have to top up others bills its not that reasonable.

By the way I never signed a contract nor is one valid as I am under 18 but LL still expects me to pay.
Reply 29
1. Why? I don't need to as long as I don't subsidise other people.
2.Because one had no way of making money (parents live in middle of nowhere so no jobs) put it this way its over £5 return to the town centre from my parents and 8 miles and the town itself has closed factories and shops in past 10 years and what jobs remain are going to immigrants who commute in from a city of all things I applied for work since my school days and was turned down bar 1 job I got that lasted 6 days which was relief work of which I used to help me when at college last year.
3. I have already said no to things multiple times hence me refusing to do certain things more than enough considering I have aspergers.
4 When I lived on my own it was looking after relatives properties and despite having daily showers I spent very little I don't want a large flat if I just need a room.
5. My course requires me to use a laptop, and have books which both fill up a bag and make it heavy then I walk to class which is 35-40 minutes walk (even if I got the bus its not any quicker as no buses to town centre so 15 minute walk then 10 minutes on bus then a few minutes to walk to class.
6. I wear a lot of t shirts and tracksuit bottoms or just plain trousers and I HAND WASH them as stated above, I fill up the washing machine so its only used once a week and never tumble dry, these guys tend to do it pretty much every day as they have gym clothes, college clothes, clothes for in the house and clothes for going out with.

1. You do need it because you can't afford to ****ing shower, mate.
2. I struggle to believe that you can't get any source of income.
3. You should have called bs when they made a rota for you to clean the part of the house you don't use, it just makes no sense
5. A towel and shower gel weighs **** all, bring another bag,
4 and 6. You're in the minority in standard of living you're happy to have, you will probably have a hard time finding anyone to be as frugal as you.
Original post by MJ1012
1. You do need it because you can't afford to ****ing shower, mate.
2. I struggle to believe that you can't get any source of income.
3. You should have called bs when they made a rota for you to clean the part of the house you don't use, it just makes no sense
5. A towel and shower gel weighs **** all, bring another bag,
4 and 6. You're in the minority in standard of living you're happy to have, you will probably have a hard time finding anyone to be as frugal as you.

I can afford to """"Ing shower actually I can't afford to pay for other peoples showers. a towel takes a lot of space in the bag and once used will be damp but either way why should I be the one who can't have a shower because they have used the water or spend over 30 minutes a time in there, if anything one has a girlfriend who lives around the corner he should go to hers since she comes to ours and uses our shower as well meaning more time and money spend.

So they are literally splashing out and I am paying for it.

So you think its acceptable for me to subsidise some freeloaders all of which are wealthy to the point of being able to afford to hop on a plane on a Friday afternoon with no planning to go abroad and get wrecked and come back on the Monday, or get taxis to and from college pretty much every day, taxis to the student clubs, get £60 hair cuts at salon live off "organic" foods and butchers meat as they refuse to touch ready meals

Maybe for someone who has had it easy you struggle to understand some people don't have anyway to get money, I can't get a hardship payment at college as I am under 18, can't get a overdraft or credit card as under 18, my relatives are not close to (most are snooty/think benefit claimaints are lazy)

My parents have no money due to health issues(they were in good jobs before dad became ill when I was a few years old) both parents have degrees but dad struggles to walk more than down the road.
I suppose you are too slow to realise that

I guess you are a freeloader yourself because you seem to believe I should subsidise other people whats to stop them if I get a job to pay for them to then use even more so I would need more hours, in fact they outright said to me "its not much money" so £67.50 for them is not much money!

Like anything I believe in fair, if I used £5 a week electric, someone else used £10, and 2 used £7.50 I wouwld put in £7.50 as that wouldnt be much over what I spend and I wouldn't worry if I went over.

I did call BS on the rota when they first mentioned it but decided to give it a try, but it got more annoying when everytime I had to wash stuff to use it, then wash it again and if it wasn't washed instantly after I used something they would knock on my door and demand it washed instantly.

Honestly these guys are one step below being "rahs" They say nasty things about people on benefits, anyone who isnt English (be it Scottish, Polish or whatever) act like they are gods gift to women and that they are celebrities and the such.

Maybe I could for the most part put up with the cleaning, and maybe the bills if they werent so extreme if they didnt say nasty things about me behind my back like getting a call from the LL claiming they said I smelled

I am not frugal at all I am just not wasteful, part due to low money but also why pay more for something than I need, f I do buy meat I go to Sunday market and £5 worth lasts me a week or more but don't have cash to do that often, I don't like to drink or smoke so I don't, as I grew up poor I learned how to cook so make home made soups or cakes or whatever and that keeps me skinny, I have an emergency coffee pot for late night studying as normally it stops me sleeping.

And I find most pre made stuff or premium brands too rich tasting but since I don't have much time to cook and its a pain I tend to live off noodles and bread to fill me up, and I go to supermarket at closing time and can get 9p bread, cakes, packs of 2 pies for 30p, and veg at supermarket is cheap like 29p potatoes at minute for filling me up, I did try kebabs and McDonalds a few times and they just gave me a sore stomach and dizzy so I don't eat them.

Only difference I would have with money is more luxuries, going for a drink now and again, going to the cinema,
Reply 31
I can afford to """"Ing shower actually I can't afford to pay for other peoples showers. a towel takes a lot of space in the bag and once used will be damp but either way why should I be the one who can't have a shower because they have used the water or spend over 30 minutes a time in there, if anything one has a girlfriend who lives around the corner he should go to hers since she comes to ours and uses our shower as well meaning more time and money spend.

So they are literally splashing out and I am paying for it.

So you think its acceptable for me to subsidise some freeloaders all of which are wealthy to the point of being able to afford to hop on a plane on a Friday afternoon with no planning to go abroad and get wrecked and come back on the Monday, or get taxis to and from college pretty much every day, taxis to the student clubs, get £60 hair cuts at salon live off "organic" foods and butchers meat as they refuse to touch ready meals

Maybe for someone who has had it easy you struggle to understand some people don't have anyway to get money, I can't get a hardship payment at college as I am under 18, can't get a overdraft or credit card as under 18, my relatives are not close to (most are snooty/think benefit claimaints are lazy)

My parents have no money due to health issues(they were in good jobs before dad became ill when I was a few years old) both parents have degrees but dad struggles to walk more than down the road.
I suppose you are too slow to realise that

I guess you are a freeloader yourself because you seem to believe I should subsidise other people whats to stop them if I get a job to pay for them to then use even more so I would need more hours, in fact they outright said to me "its not much money" so £67.50 for them is not much money!

Like anything I believe in fair, if I used £5 a week electric, someone else used £10, and 2 used £7.50 I wouwld put in £7.50 as that wouldnt be much over what I spend and I wouldn't worry if I went over.

I did call BS on the rota when they first mentioned it but decided to give it a try, but it got more annoying when everytime I had to wash stuff to use it, then wash it again and if it wasn't washed instantly after I used something they would knock on my door and demand it washed instantly.

Honestly these guys are one step below being "rahs" They say nasty things about people on benefits, anyone who isnt English (be it Scottish, Polish or whatever) act like they are gods gift to women and that they are celebrities and the such.

Maybe I could for the most part put up with the cleaning, and maybe the bills if they werent so extreme if they didnt say nasty things about me behind my back like getting a call from the LL claiming they said I smelled

I am not frugal at all I am just not wasteful, part due to low money but also why pay more for something than I need, f I do buy meat I go to Sunday market and £5 worth lasts me a week or more but don't have cash to do that often, I don't like to drink or smoke so I don't, as I grew up poor I learned how to cook so make home made soups or cakes or whatever and that keeps me skinny, I have an emergency coffee pot for late night studying as normally it stops me sleeping.

And I find most pre made stuff or premium brands too rich tasting but since I don't have much time to cook and its a pain I tend to live off noodles and bread to fill me up, and I go to supermarket at closing time and can get 9p bread, cakes, packs of 2 pies for 30p, and veg at supermarket is cheap like 29p potatoes at minute for filling me up, I did try kebabs and McDonalds a few times and they just gave me a sore stomach and dizzy so I don't eat them.

Only difference I would have with money is more luxuries, going for a drink now and again, going to the cinema,

Going to supermarkets at closing time is frugal.
You can get gym towels that roll up into a small, light bag.
You have a chip on your shoulder which is probably why your flatmates aren't a big fan of you.
You shouldn't have moved out under 18 with no money.
Original post by MJ1012
Going to supermarkets at closing time is frugal.
You can get gym towels that roll up into a small, light bag.
You have a chip on your shoulder which is probably why your flatmates aren't a big fan of you.
You shouldn't have moved out under 18 with no money.

I dont have a chip on my shoulder at all, I just respond to people who haven't had the experience I had and go "oh well"

So what would you rather have I do? Stay at my parents in middle of nowhere and sign on? Make it impossible to leave home as no work in area and much higher rents then where I go to college and parents are having buses cut back so its 5 a day as is and costing over £5 return and means I cant work after 5pm at night or before 9am, my older brother did that and had to sign on for years because if there was work available however rare he couldnt get to the workplace it was only when he got a loan from the jobcentre he paid to move out but is still not working but able to apply for work.

That is what happens when you live in a small town.

There seems to be the idea that theres 2 extremes, either splashing out or being frugal, I just don't want many luxuries that people do, alcohol just makes me dizzy and doesn't taste that good, cigarettes just are awful and a waste of money.

To me a luxury would be going to a cafe but they are getting so expensive, im not paying £6 for mince and tatties, I wouldnt mind paying £3 for that.

If I get hungry a kebab would be really nice but too bad to have often.

The whole point of going to supermarkets late is to get luxuries cheap so I don't live off basics like pasta and bread and can eat nice things.
Reply 33
I dont have a chip on my shoulder at all, I just respond to people who haven't had the experience I had and go "oh well"

So what would you rather have I do? Stay at my parents in middle of nowhere and sign on? Make it impossible to leave home as no work in area and much higher rents then where I go to college and parents are having buses cut back so its 5 a day as is and costing over £5 return and means I cant work after 5pm at night or before 9am, my older brother did that and had to sign on for years because if there was work available however rare he couldnt get to the workplace it was only when he got a loan from the jobcentre he paid to move out but is still not working but able to apply for work.

That is what happens when you live in a small town.

There seems to be the idea that theres 2 extremes, either splashing out or being frugal, I just don't want many luxuries that people do, alcohol just makes me dizzy and doesn't taste that good, cigarettes just are awful and a waste of money.

To me a luxury would be going to a cafe but they are getting so expensive, im not paying £6 for mince and tatties, I wouldnt mind paying £3 for that.

If I get hungry a kebab would be really nice but too bad to have often.

The whole point of going to supermarkets late is to get luxuries cheap so I don't live off basics like pasta and bread and can eat nice things.

If you waited until you were 18, you would get the financial support that you were moaning that you couldn't get earlier due to your age.

Don't have a chip on your shoulder? haha OK :laugh:
"I suppose you are too slow to realise that"
"I guess you are a freeloader yourself "
Actually I am arguing that its not advice more than anything.

How am I meant to move out when I don't have money and even if I did the contract runs until July?

In all the house itself is beautiful too, the other student accomodation I have seen isn't on the same level and its a beautiful walk to college and reasonable rent level.

That being said if I have to top up others bills its not that reasonable.

By the way I never signed a contract nor is one valid as I am under 18 but LL still expects me to pay.

Why have you even asked for advice here when you're ignoring and insulting anyone who tries to say anything?

As I've said, you shouldn't have moved out in the first place. You don't have a job and have such a tiny income. What if someone in the house breaks something and you end up liable to pay your share (which happens a lot) or you have some other unexpected cost? You can't expect other people to live according to your lifestyle.

You say you have a contract then you say you haven't. If you haven't got a contract I'd suggest checking out if you'd be liable to pay or whether you could just leave early. Call CAB. And of course the landlord expects you to pay, you're living there.
What I would do and what I advise you to do are entirely, and necessarily, different things.

You have no obligation to engage with the cleaning rota at all if you don't want to, can buy or not buy whatever you please and you can cook and shower as you see fit.

Whether, and how, you are liable for the utility payments depends on whether or not you are named on the account and, to a degree, what is stated in your tenancy contract. If one of your housemates, or the landlord, are the only named person then they would be singularly liable for paying the utility bills and would have to attempt to recover money from you in court. There are instances where you may all be jointly liable such as a deemed contract, but this is unlikely to be the case if they have lived there for two years.

With regards to the general bullying, again I cannot in good faith advise you to do what I would. If you are being threatened, or feel that you are being racially attacked, there is some basis for being able to involve the police. Advice to keep things in your room if you don't want them to be stolen is good advice - many house shares I have lived in have had at least one thief in them. That's par for the course. You can steal their stuff too if you like, but that won't fix anything.

The best advice you have been given is to move out. You have drawn the short straw by ending up living in a house full of muppets and, given that your landlord also sounds useless, there is no prospect of you finding an agreeable solution to this situation. In future, never move into a house share where you will be responsible for paying an undefined amount of money towards bills. Make sure that the cost is always fixed.

The world is not a kind place and you will encounter far far worse people than this in house shares. You will need to learn to stand up for yourself or you will be exploited.
Why have you even asked for advice here when you're ignoring and insulting anyone who tries to say anything?

As I've said, you shouldn't have moved out in the first place. You don't have a job and have such a tiny income. What if someone in the house breaks something and you end up liable to pay your share (which happens a lot) or you have some other unexpected cost? You can't expect other people to live according to your lifestyle.

You say you have a contract then you say you haven't. If you haven't got a contract I'd suggest checking out if you'd be liable to pay or whether you could just leave early. Call CAB. And of course the landlord expects you to pay, you're living there.

Because people are saying things and calling it "advice" and when I disagree they are the ones getting worked up and throwing it back at me.

But you haven't explained would you rather have me sign on for a year doing nothing or have me do something?

I don't know if people think because of my age I don't know my rights, I researched everything

I shouldn't expect people to live to my lifestyle? In that case why am I expected to live to their lifestyle? When I don't mind cleaning be it in the sink or hoovering and dusting but with them not cleaning at all and making me do things twice? That they spend spend spend and want me to subsidise them?

If I ordered a curry online and when it arrived went to them "you are paying for this despite getting none" Do you think they would say "ok thats your lifestyle we will pay"

If they bought their shopping and I decided to take some do you think they would say "its ok take as much as our stuff as you want"

The point there is that they can do what they want as they don't care about bills but are quick to say that people have their share its like eating in a restuarant and you may just have a basic meal costing like £5, there will be a few that take advantage and have the most expensive things on the menu, starters, desserts wine then when bill arrives say "lets split the bill" knowing they may of spent £50 on themselves but splitting it meant like £20 per person instead.

No idea what you mean by the last bit, since the "advice" was for me to move out and I said I would have to pay if I moved out you said of course I would have to pay, why mention that?

The landlord put a contract for the property to sign in living room but it was never signed and vanished. and rooms let on a room by room basis (so not per house so if one buggers off rest arent liable), no inventory (so even if they claim damage they can't charge for it)

No offense here but you should read up on tenancy law which many students don't know about, I know from my relatives experience the problems they had so came prepared, so many think along the lines of LL's can evict at anytime, charge for anything, come in rooms whenever they want etc.

Are you saying that you should never live away from home unless you work? Well how do you get a job in the first place if you live in a area with unemployment and then live somewhere with next to no public transport too? What happens if your parents as is are barely feeding themselves and you are draining their budget more? How will you make contacts to get a job if you never leave the house?

It seems you think I don't want to pay/do my way when in fact I believe in being fair, when the first bill was about £30 over I paid the £7.50 no problems it just meant I lived off pasta for a week.

But when they want almost £70 and want it paid the same day bill arrives and when I say I can't afford it they tell me its "not much money" and I am "trying to get out of paying my way" imagine how you feel when they are splashing the cash.

I do splash the cash but within logical means, for me instead of going to the poshest place in town to get fish and chips I will go to the budget one and pay £3 as it tastes good, rather than spend £3.50 on a pint in a trendy bar I will walk 5 minutes down the road and pay £1.99 for the identical pint.

Thats not being frugal thats using common sense.

1. Just disagree to take part in the rota then and see what happens.
2. Life isnt fair
3. Move house.

But you haven't explained would you rather have me sign on for a year doing nothing or have me do something?

I don't know if people think because of my age I don't know my rights, I researched everything

1. People dont care.
2. Your age is relevant because you seem to be going on and on about it but not listening. Life isnt fair. In your current dilemma then you are at a disadvantge and they exploot your age.
3. People with more experience than you can see this, hence they are telling you to stop moaning becayse its a waste of energy and find somewhere else. Your other alternative is not to pay and not to co operate and see where that gets you.
Original post by 999tigger
1. People dont care.
2. Your age is relevant because you seem to be going on and on about it but not listening. Life isnt fair. In your current dilemma then you are at a disadvantge and they exploot your age.
3. People with more experience than you can see this, hence they are telling you to stop moaning becayse its a waste of energy and find somewhere else. Your other alternative is not to pay and not to co operate and see where that gets you.

Im not moaning about anything, im agitated as people are giving an opinion and calling it advice and not thinking about it too much, don't care? Then don't post.

Or its "just pay up even though you don't owe it" that can be argued to be advice in the same way "jump off a cliff" would be advice in that anything said is advice just because it is an opinion.

My "advice" back would be to look outside of the box, do you think it never came to my mind about moving? Or not paying? Or arguing back?

Quick Reply

Latest