The Student Room Group

Please help. I just attacked my mother.

Hi I'm sort of in shock at the moment. Sorry it's a long story but if you have any advice or comments I appreciate it.

My parents let my extremely aggressive schizophrenic brother take my elderly dog out. He has attacked her (and us) before and I've told my parents not to let him take her because his history. They let him take her anyway and when he returned hours later she was covered in some kind of gross sticky liquid and was dragging both her legs behind her one of which was covered in blood. My brother admitted she got in his way so he kicked her but he has obviously done much worse. She also refuses to eat anything, which is completely unlike her. When she came back in such a horrific state I asked my parents to do something like challenge him as to what exactly he did and to take her to the vet. They didn't care whatsoever and were more concerned with defendeding my brother because he's "mentally unwell". So I just snapped and kicked my mother twice as hard as I could asking her how she likes it. She looked at me in horror then started crying and I noticed two massive bruises come up within seconds.

I instantly regretted doing it and feel really guilty for causing my mum pain as I've never had an argument with her in all my 18 years. She's my best friend and I can't believe I did this. The other day I was violently ill and she took care of me all day and night even taking the day off of work.

My parents just left the house with my mum crying as she left. I feel so upset and guilty? How to I make this up to her? I know she feels incredibly betrayed by my violence.

PS I have phoned the emergency vets who advised me to monitor the dog until my parents come back and then try and bring her in later if she is still lame and/or not eating

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi I'm sort of in shock at the moment. Sorry it's a long story but if you have any advice or comments I appreciate it.

My parents let my extremely aggressive schizophrenic brother take my elderly dog out. He has attacked her (and us) before and I've told my parents not to let him take her because his history. They let him take her anyway and when he returned hours later she was covered in some kind of gross sticky liquid and was dragging both her legs behind her one of which was covered in blood. My brother admitted she got in his way so he kicked her but he has obviously done much worse. She also refuses to eat anything, which is completely unlike her. When she came back in such a horrific state I asked my parents to do something like challenge him as to what exactly he did and to take her to the vet. They didn't care whatsoever and were more concerned with defendeding my brother because he's "mentally unwell". So I just snapped and kicked my mother twice as hard as I could asking her how she likes it. She looked at me in horror then started crying and I noticed two massive bruises come up within seconds.

I instantly regretted doing it and feel really guilty for causing my mum pain as I've never had an argument with her in all my 18 years. She's my best friend and I can't believe I did this. The other day I was violently ill and she took care of me all day and night even taking the day off of work.

My parents just left the house with my mum crying as she left. I feel so upset and guilty? How to I make this up to her? I know she feels incredibly betrayed by my violence.

PS I have phoned the emergency vets who advised me to monitor the dog until my parents come back and then try and bring her in later if she is still lame and/or not eating

I'd get your dog to the vet as soon as possible
why would u kick ur mum?

u dont realise how much ur mum does for u

please just take the time out to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3xM93rXbY
(edited 8 years ago)
Let her kick you? :dontknow:
this sounds terrible OP :hugs:

i do not know if social services are involved already, but it sounds as if you need outside help to sort things out.
Original post by mariam687
why would u kick ur mum?

ppl like u disgust me, u dont realise how much ur mum does for u

please just take the time out to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3xM93rXbY

Not helpful. OP realises he/she shouldn't have done it and is in instant regret.

It's not your business to judge. Either advise or leave.

Everyone makes mistakes.
Original post by Student403
Not helpful. OP realises he/she shouldn't have done it and is in instant regret.

Everyone makes mistakes.

ok ur right, i shouldnt judge but i understand people make mistakes however its common sense, right?
ofc he/she regrets it, but things like that shouldnt be classed as "mistakes."
Reply 7
my god you kicked your mum? who is honestly more important your dog or your mum? you know a lot of people would wish to have a mum like you, your mum is not gonna be in this world for a long time so take use of the time you have honestly. As for your dog take him/ her to your vet asap. i really do hope you apologized to you mum sincerely
Reply 8
Original post by Student403

Everyone makes mistakes.

Do you want to be in a TSR relationship with me?
You obviously should apologize and maybe buy her flowers , however I think she should also apologize as well because she completely disregarded your concern about your brother walking the dog
You have to apologise right away. She will forgive you because she's your mum but you have to make it up to her. Offer to help her out more, buy her something etc. Show her that you care for her and that this will never happen ever again. Has this kind of thing ever happened before, with someone else?
(edited 8 years ago)
Your mom was being considerate, but you should control yourself better than next time.
I'm sorry that you've had this experience. It sounds like a distressing situation. What your brother did to your dog was not good and is very upsetting. It sounds like your parents did not react well to the situation - and certainly not in a supportive and understanding way. You must have felt really angry. I remember feeling like that towards my mother when she treated me in a very uncaring way (shouting at me for being in the house and becoming very angry at me) and so I pushed her. She had been mean to me on previous occasions but that time I was too upset to contain myself. I forgive myself for being very hurt by how she was treating me and not being able at the time to do something else with my feelings.

I believe that everyone makes mistakes and people are affected by the way other people treat them. Obviously it is best to try to let one's feelings out gently but not always possible. Forgive yourself for what you did and look for ways to be more aware of your feelings and kind to yourself in the future. One can make up for lack of kindness from others with more kindness from oneself. Sharing with your close friends is a really good idea. At times like this is good just to calm down before returning to the situation. When you are ready a suggestion might be to write her a card or a letter to explain your feeling and offer any apology you wish to give. Concentrate on calming yourself down and this will help you to reconnect with you mother.

I hope that your dog get the treatment she needs.
Reply 13
Get your dog to the vet immediately. Talk to your mother afterwards. The dog's injuries are way more important. Your mother is technically responsible for its injuries since she allowed your brother, with a history of violence, to take it out unsupervised.
Original post by mariam687
ok ur right, i shouldnt judge but i understand people make mistakes however its common sense, right?
ofc he/she regrets it, but things like that shouldnt be classed as "mistakes."

If you read the OP you'd know about what happened to the dog and you'll understand why he was upset. I don't agree with his actions because I believe that violence is wrong regardless of whether or not it is against your parents. He was in an emotional state hence why he made the 'mistake' and regretted it straight away. It was wrong, yes, but it was still a mistake.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Legendary Quest
If you read the OP you'd know about what happened to the dog and you'll understand why he was upset. I don't agree with his actions because I believe that violence is wrong all together regardless of whether or not it is against your parents. He was in an emotional state hence why he made the 'mistake' and regretted it straight away. It was wrong, yes, but it was still a mistake.

but this is his "mum" we're talking about..

it seems as though ur backing up the dog instead of the mother.

:frown:
Original post by noey123
my god you kicked your mum? who is honestly more important your dog or your mum? you know a lot of people would wish to have a mum like you, your mum is not gonna be in this world for a long time so take use of the time you have honestly. As for your dog take him/ her to your vet asap. i really do hope you apologized to you mum sincerely

i totally agree wid u
While it's terrible to kick anyone let alone your parents, your mum was practically condoning animal abuse, by not acting when he came back with an obviously injured pet, esp as your brother has a history of violence! Anyone who is saying you chose you dog over your mum is an idiot and you should ignore them.

Apologise because violence is never the answer, but your parents need to understand that animal abuse isn't okay either and that both(yours and parents) responses were wrong. Social services intervention sounds like a good idea.
Original post by Anonymous

Honestly, this will take time for your mother to forget and forgive meanwhile stay clam as possible and do as much things as you can to make it up for her
Reply 19
I'm with OP and the dog.

OP was frustrated and probably very anxious. Your brother sounds very challenging, and I can understand the distress at seeing your dog like this. Your parents response was inappropriate and unthoughtful, both to the dog and your feelings. I'm not saying that justifies kicking your mum (as that was violent, and she is probably struggling just as much), just that in the heat of the moment, I understand. Additionally your instant regret shows that you didn't intend to do it, you were just desperate to make them understand.

When your mum comes home give her some flowers and tell her how sorry you are. Tell her you didn't mean it, you were stressed and instantly regretted it. Tell her you know she must be struggling with your brother and your dog, and that you're sorry you let your emotions get the better of you.

More importantly, keep an eye on your dog and do take him to the vets if necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending