The Student Room Group

Should I go to prom?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rocketship
Do you think you'll regret not going in the future? My only worry is me missing out on stuff (fomo lol) even though there's a big chance I'll end up being super awkward and not having a good time (although, who knows, that might not happen but IDEK)

im not a person of regret tbh i wont know what i missed out on so i dont really mind much, the thing is i dislike my current school and many of the people in there, ill see my friends anyways after so i dont see a point

i think you should go, butttttt you know yourself, if you think you'll regret not going, then you should go. But if you think it'll be a bad experience, then don't go
My prom didn't turn out to be as amazing as the school said it would be but I'm still glad I went. It was really nice for my friends and I to dress up and do something that we've never done before. It might be the only prom you'll have in your life so it'd be nice to go to experience it. Plus it's not even that expensive, my total cost (ticket, hummer, dress, accessories, food etc) came up to less than £120
Reply 22
Original post by Charlotte49
I feel like it's an experience and probably worth a shot since you might enjoy it, and if you don't go you won't know whether you would have liked it or not. I didn't think I'd like mine and went to my prom and 6th form leavers dinner and hated both but was glad I actually tried, I think you've got to give these things a chance and if it's not for you then you don't have to go again.

You make a fair point… my mum told me I should go and is wondering why I would't want to go (the whole group thing)… I mean, there have been some times in my life where I have pushed myself to do something I thought I'd not enjoy, which I've ended up actually enjoying. However, there's been a lot of times (primarily parties and gatherings) where I knew I'd been awkward but I'd still go and absolutely hate it and feel like so annoyed for going

I hope that made sense lol

I'm still thinking about whether to go or not I suppose
Reply 23
Original post by Goaded
If I was in year 11 again I wouldn't go

Why? :smile:
I never went to prom. Only because the American tradition of banging your prom date has never quite made it over to England.
Reply 25
Original post by Legendary Quest
I went to my year 11 one and I absolutely loved it. It was awesome.

I won't go to my sixth form one though. It's at an inconvenient time.

I think you should consider going. At least then you can look back on it and say whether or not you think it's worth it. Ultimately, your experience will be dependent on whether or not you get along with the people in your year :smile:

I mean, I'm (probably) definitely going to go to my year 13 prom (I want to go to at least one prom in my life)
I don't doubt that the prom itself is going to be good (the venue is pretty nice etc.) but I can imagine myself having to tag along with some people and feel super awkward, which is a feeling I hate
I do get along with and am friends with some people in my year and I don't talk to the others tbh… it's not like I hate anyone but I'm not really friends with them
Idk, I still have a bit of time to decide :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by zanner
im not a person of regret tbh i wont know what i missed out on so i dont really mind much, the thing is i dislike my current school and many of the people in there, ill see my friends anyways after so i dont see a point

i think you should go, butttttt you know yourself, if you think you'll regret not going, then you should go. But if you think it'll be a bad experience, then don't go

True that. Idk how it will turn out but I'm the kind of person who regrets things less if I have something else to occupy my mind iygm (aka going out to London or having a movie marathon).

I'm gonna have to make my decision soon tho
Thanks for your input btw :smile:
I'm having this exact same problem. Like sure, it be cool to go with my mates, but I don't really see myself as a party person. I don't know it it's worse the time, and tbh, most of the people at my school are assssholes *done intentionally to avoid asterisks*
Reply 28
Original post by Writer_Refresh
I'm having this exact same problem. Like sure, it be cool to go with my mates, but I don't really see myself as a party person. I don't know it it's worse the time, and tbh, most of the people at my school are assssholes *done intentionally to avoid asterisks*

Lol you understand me then:redface:
I'm not really a party person either, although whatever happens I'm gonna force myself to go to the year 13 prom. Besides, I'm going to see some of my friends in the summer at least once or twice (and I have a busy summer to keep me occupied)
I didn't really see myself regretting not going until my friends (and my mum!) were telling me I should go.
Are you leaning more towards going or not? Cuz I'm not sure tbh. If you don't go what do you think you'll do on the day instead? :smile:
Well, I'm not going to mine bc I don't get on with anyone in my year and I hate wearing dresses. If you don't want to go, you don't have to. You won't be missing out on much.
Reply 30
I didn't go to my prom when I was in year 11 last year, purely based on the fact I only got on well with 10% of my year. If you think you'd have a good time you should go but it isn't a requirement.
If the question of whether you'll be missing out is on your mind now, it probably will be later if you don't go. My prom was pretty bland tbh, and I knew it would be so I wasn't sure about going, but in the end I'm glad I went. I would have wondered about it for a long time after if I hadn't gone.
Original post by Moonstruck16
My prom dress cost £40 and has been used many a time since. Your point is true for the people that buy those ridiculous looking American style prom dresses.

Yeah I hate the really OTT dresses, much better to buy something that you actually might wear again.
Reply 33
Original post by Rocketship
True that. Idk how it will turn out but I'm the kind of person who regrets things less if I have something else to occupy my mind iygm (aka going out to London or having a movie marathon).

I'm gonna have to make my decision soon tho
Thanks for your input btw :smile:

Ye igy, find something fun to do on the day so you have noo regrets

no problem, im happy to help :biggrin:
No, be different. The people who are having a day out at Thorpe Park made the better choice.

Some American traditions should stay there.
Original post by barnetlad
No, be different. The people who are having a day out at Thorpe Park made the better choice.

Haha who says you can't do both? :wink:

And if you wanted to, you could go to Thorpe Park on any day but prom only happens once (or twice in my school)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by barnetlad

The American tradition is calling it 'prom'.

Leavers balls/parties whatever have been around for ages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending