The Student Room Group

Please help. I just attacked my mother.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by 999tigger
Why wouldI be delusional. there are two issues, not just one, plus you only have the OPs version of events. Perhaps you are used to taking one side without hearing what the other has to say.

Why would he lie as an anon? Either way I am obviously judging the situation, as it was described, so deal with it.
Original post by Silver Arrow
I don't think kicking your own mother to prove a point is a mistake :rofl:

It is a mistake because OP instantly regretted it having realised it was rash.

Original post by mariam687
but thats your opinion right? u feel pets are like children, people view them in different ways..

Western first world folk tend to have a healthy love of animals..we love them and protect them as good human beings should. Not sure where you are from but i guess a different part of the world or from a non western culture/background
Original post by Ciel.
Why would he lie as an anon? Either way I am obviously judging the situation, as it was described, so deal with it.

Im used to dealing with situations with conflicting biews and the story tends to be somewhere in the middle. I quite like knowing the true situation rather than jumping to one side. Strange you can only see one issue, its quite possible to be concerned about the dog, but it doesnt have to exlcude dealing with the issue created with his mother and family.
Reply 204
Im used to dealing with situations with conflicting biews and the story tends to be somewhere in the middle. I quite like knowing the true situation rather than jumping to one side. Strange you can only see one issue, its quite possible to be concerned about the dog, but it doesnt have to exlcude dealing with the issue created with his mother and family.

It's not like he killed her, get a life.
Original post by Ciel.
It's not like he killed her, get a life.

Its a pretty serious situation where you are unable to control your own anger and end up taking it out on a woman. Well imo it is, you seem to make light of it.
Original post by TSRFT8
I cant believe what im reading on this thread. Some of you sad acts really need to sort your priorities out.

How can someone say to take the dog to the vets before speaking to your own mother, is that really how low some of you have been brought up that you care more about a dog than someone who brought you into this world?

Also someone saying to report the brother. The guy has a ****ing disability you complete bellend, how on earth can you report your own brother for the sake of a animal.

@mariam687 Please dont feel bad about what you said, infact i could not agree more. Your mum is lucky to have you :smile:

The brother should be reported because the next time it could be a child he encounters or a member of his own family. My concern for this family is that the initial post makes me think the parents are maybe in denial about the brother's psychiatric condition. Having such a disability doesn't entitle him to get off Scot free with wanton acts of cruelty. And yes I also agree that taking the dog to the vet should be the priority. I'd imagine it would take so long to discuss what's happened with his/her mum that the poor dog's situation could have deteriorated to the point it may need putting to sleep. What if it has internal injuries. If he kicked it hard enough to make both legs lame, possibly broken, then the likelihood is that the dog was kicked more than once. I don't care if the brother does have a mental health condition, he sounds dangerous and as such everyone needs protecting from him.
Such a shame to kick your mum though. That's not cool. Would've been better to kick a wall or a door or keep the energy for taking the dog to the vet. Hope it all gets sorted.
I know she's your mother and that's a really important connection etc etc and she's done a lot for you etc etc etc but to be completely honest, an adult can recover from a couple kicks whereas this dog's entire life sounds like a horror story. Your mother is pretty terrible to allow that kind of abuse and I think kicking her could be a pretty effective solution to make sure the dog lives a happy, safe life

(basically she deserves it)
Also get your brother locked up please, sounds like a very dangerous person
Original post by WBZ144
Those are the basics in your opinion, but by law they don't have to do anything for you once you turn 18 and could leave you to fend for yourself. There is in fact a minority of parents who do exactly that.

I'm not disagreeing with the gist of what's you're saying only pointing out that parents 'by law' continue to have obligations to their children until they are aged either 25 or have completed their first undergraduate degree or whichever comes first. That is certainly the case in Scotland. Clearly the level of obligation is very much dependent on the family's circumstances as to whether this is limited to free board and lodgings or some financial allowance towards the cost of halls etc.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I'm sort of in shock at the moment. Sorry it's a long story but if you have any advice or comments I appreciate it.

My parents let my extremely aggressive schizophrenic brother take my elderly dog out. He has attacked her (and us) before and I've told my parents not to let him take her because his history. They let him take her anyway and when he returned hours later she was covered in some kind of gross sticky liquid and was dragging both her legs behind her one of which was covered in blood. My brother admitted she got in his way so he kicked her but he has obviously done much worse. She also refuses to eat anything, which is completely unlike her. When she came back in such a horrific state I asked my parents to do something like challenge him as to what exactly he did and to take her to the vet. They didn't care whatsoever and were more concerned with defendeding my brother because he's "mentally unwell". So I just snapped and kicked my mother twice as hard as I could asking her how she likes it. She looked at me in horror then started crying and I noticed two massive bruises come up within seconds.

I instantly regretted doing it and feel really guilty for causing my mum pain as I've never had an argument with her in all my 18 years. She's my best friend and I can't believe I did this. The other day I was violently ill and she took care of me all day and night even taking the day off of work.

My parents just left the house with my mum crying as she left. I feel so upset and guilty? How to I make this up to her? I know she feels incredibly betrayed by my violence.

PS I have phoned the emergency vets who advised me to monitor the dog until my parents come back and then try and bring her in later if she is still lame and/or not eating

This may seem insensitive, Why isn't your brother in mental care? if he is violent ,on top of being schizophreniac it sounds like a bad tale waiting to happen. Especially when he is obviously displaying he has no empathy for animals . Schizophreniacs cant control their thoughts and distinguish what is real and what was conjured by their imagination. if he for what ever reason though your family was against him and plotting to kill him would he not do something dangerous. its a dramatic example but it really does sound like a ticking time bomb.

I understand why you snapped. If I were you I would have been frustrated at my parents if they kept making excuses for my brother too, especially for actions that are clearly wrong.You understand what you did was wrong and you are clearly hurt that , that side came out of you. Pray tt will never happen again ever, because if it does you wont be any better than your brother who kicks dogs down.
Its a pretty serious situation where you are unable to control your own anger and end up taking it out on a woman. Well imo it is, you seem to make light of it.

Why does it matter the gender of the person he kicked?
There are plenty of cases in criminal law about this type of situation and it realises if you push someone far enough they will snap and something like this occurs.
Sorry but attacking your Mom like that, just horrific what you have done, think you need to take a long hard look at yourself.
Wow this actually went for 11 pages? Is the dog doing well now?
Original post by AliRizzo
People on here are f*cked in the head, unbelievable.

It's a dog you retard, whilst I agree it's distressing to see an animal hurt, why would you lash out at your mum? If anything you're the one who sounds sick in the head and need to get some help.

Possibly the whole family have serious problems with stress from coping with the brother's mental health problems. No one is condoning kicking his mum and that includes the OP. Last thing he needs is somebody calling him names. From the incident I'd reckon that he/she has a lot to contend with and yes that includes his own coping mechanisms. You sound like you have a few anger issues of your own?
Original post by joecphillips
Why does it matter the gender of the person he kicked?
There are plenty of cases in criminal law about this type of situation and it realises if you push someone far enough they will snap and something like this occurs.

One imagines his mother is least likely to be able to stick up for herself.

So his mum proboked him to batter her. Ok you keep thinking that. he was unable to control himself, he was in the wrong,
Original post by DougallnDougall
Possibly the whole family have serious problems with stress from coping with the brother's mental health problems. No one is condoning kicking his mum and that includes the OP. Last thing he needs is somebody calling him names. From the incident I'd reckon that he/she has a lot to contend with and yes that includes his own coping mechanisms. You sound like you have a few anger issues of your own?

More like frustration from reading this thread. My older brother has mental health problems too but like any normal person me and my family have learnt to deal with it. I don't like making excuses for someone not being able to cope with a bit of stress or the slightest bit of pressure. His 'coping mechanisms' sound like they need a lot of work. If he doesn't like me calling him names then he should probably avoid the internet altogether.

Life's tough, ****ing get back on your horse and deal with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Situations like this are difficult. I can't understand everything that you are going through, but I know what it's like to have a brother with serious mental health problems and how scary and unpredictable it can be. Of course you had a right to be angry at your parents, given the circumstances they should of known better, but that doesn't make what you did OK. From what you've said it seems like you know that and just want to make amends. Hopefully after everyone has calmed down you can talk the whole thing through with your parents. Is it possible that they were defending your brother because they felt guilty about letting it happen? They are probably finding it difficult dealing with your brother too, even parents don't often know how to handle things. I also hope your dog is doing ok and you've gotten her to the vets.

You mentioned that your brother has been violent before, and it sounds like your having to cope with living in a really stressful environment at home. Don't underestimate how this can affect you, often it can make you act in ways you don't expect. I definitely would recommend talking with someone about it, if you're not already. Hope you stay safe OP, and that things get better.
Original post by AliRizzo
More like frustration from reading this thread. My older brother has mental health problems too but like any normal person me and my family have learnt to deal with it. I don't like making excuses for someone not being able to cope with a bit of stress or the slightest bit of pressure. His 'coping mechanisms' sound like they need a lot of work. If he doesn't like me calling him names then he should probably avoid the internet altogether.

Life's tough, ****ing get back on your horse and deal with it.

Not every family has the capacity to cope well with MH problems. 'Normal' covers a whole range of different personalities, characteristics and experiences so how your family has managed doesn't mean to say every other 'normal' family will do the same.
One imagines his mother is least likely to be able to stick up for herself.

So his mum proboked him to batter her. Ok you keep thinking that. he was unable to control himself, he was in the wrong,

It's obvious he loves the dog like a member of his family and can do stupid things when family members are abused.

So if he had hit his father this would be different?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending