The Student Room Group

Are my A level choices to random?

Hi! I am in Year 11 and have recently had to submit a form with my A level options. I am still not really sure what I want to do in the future. For a long time I thought I wanted to be a primary school teacher but now I am thinking about going down the medical root. I am a very indecisive person so I knew I needed to keep my options open! I am predicted all A's and A*'s for my GCSEs and wrote down for my A levels: Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and English Language. I would REALLY appreciate any advice from anyone on whether these are a suitable mix of subjects or it if they are too random! Also any advice on what careers would suit these subjects would be really helpful! Thank you so much!
P.S I have realised now that I spelt 'to' incorrectly but it's past midnight and I am kind of falling asleep . Anyway it won't let me edit the title so I will have to leave it like that. Sorry if I offend any English students 😂
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lol not at all, my subjects are way more random than that! I'm super indecisive too. And I know some people who are going to take super random subjects e.g. art, maths, biology, english lit, so I think your options are fine :smile:

As long as you enjoy your subjects then that's the most important thing

In terms of careers, I can think of a few like biochemical engineering maybe? Idk, but you could do quite a lot with bio and chem (medicine's an option too). Obviously you could go into languages or journalism etc as well

Hope that helps :biggrin:
Original post by Rocketship
Lol not at all, my subjects are way more random than that! I'm super indecisive too. And I know some people who are going to take super random subjects e.g. art, maths, biology, english lit, so I think your options are fine :smile:

In terms of careers, I can think of a few like biochemical engineering maybe? Idk, but you could do quite a lot with bio and chem (medicine's an option too). Obviously you could go into languages or journalism etc as well

Thank you!! That is really helpful and so reassuring! Hope you are having a good weekend! 😃
Original post by Bethan Louise
Thank you!! That is really helpful and so reassuring! Hope you are having a good weekend! 😃

Glad I could help! Hope you have a good weekend as well

edit: revision is killing me lol
If you want to do English Language then you might want to know the difference between "to" and "too". :colondollar:
Original post by RezzBerry
If you want to do English Language then you might want to know the difference between "to" and "too". :colondollar:

I know!! Ahhh it's so embarrassing, I tried to change it straight away but it won't let me edit the title!!
Lol, "random", my choices are very similar- chemistry, biology, spanish and english literature.
Original post by geniequeen48
Lol, "random", my choices are very similar- chemistry, biology, spanish and english literature.

Good! Which is your favourite and what are you hoping to do in the future?
I don't want to come across snobby, but from what I've seen/heard from teachers and students, English Literature is more highly regarded than Language, so you might want to re-think that. Apart from that they're fine, maths always gives you a bit of an edge because it's so so hard- but if that's not your vibes then leave it, better to get an A in another subject than a C in maths.
Original post by Katiecartwright
I don't want to come across snobby, but from what I've seen/heard from teachers and students, English Literature is more highly regarded than Language, so you might want to re-think that. Apart from that they're fine, maths always gives you a bit of an edge because it's so so hard- but if that's not your vibes then leave it, better to get an A in another subject than a C in maths.

Maths is easier than the sciences, imo.
Original post by Rocketship

My subjects are way more random lol.

I take: Maths, Drama and Graphics

Idk what I want to do as a career, I just choose subjects that I enjoy. I'm relying on life to decide for me. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RezzBerry
Maths is easier than the sciences, imo.

I think you can only truly excel in maths if you're a super mathsy person. I couldn't do it, but I did Biology and Chemistry
I think you can only truly excel in maths if you're a super mathsy person. I couldn't do it, but I did Biology and Chemistry

I'm not (and never was) a super-mathsy person. :biggrin:

No, don't worry, I know what you mean. At first I wrote down history as I really enjoy it and it is one of my best subjects but I found out that the course is a lot of politics which doesn't really interest me. Should I change back to history?
Honestly, do what you love, and unless you want to do medicine or something at uni usually only the A Level that corresponds to the course you want to do is needed eg if you wanted to do History, you'd only definitely need History at A Level and it wouldn't totally matter what the others were if you get what I mean??? Of course there are recommendations for course combinations that may benefit you, but many universities like to see you have a range of skills across loads of subjects and especially with Spanish and English alongside the sciences that may work to your advantage!!!

Also the thing about English language not being "hard" enough or as well regarded is a bit of a myth. At A2 I study geography, English lit and English Language and I received offers from Durham, Sheffield, Newcastle and Aberdeen university. If you get an A/A* in language at the end, it will be as respected as an A* in any subject (but of course that may depend on where and what you're applying for, but mostly yes). With the four subjects as well you always have the option to drop one at the end of Year 12.

Ultimately, do what you enjoy. My sister wants to study psychology, biology, art and geography which is also pretty random but she enjoys them! Sixth form will be so much more difficult if you pick subjects you hate just because the combination is "better"! Sorry if any of this was a bit difficult to understand :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hannahrob97
Honestly, do what you love, and unless you want to do medicine or something at uni usually only the A Level that corresponds to the course you want to do is needed eg if you wanted to do History, you'd only definitely need History at A Level and it wouldn't totally matter what the others were if you get what I mean??? Of course there are recommendations for course combinations that may benefit you, but many universities like to see you have a range of skills across loads of subjects and especially with Spanish and English alongside the sciences that may work to your advantage!!!

Also the thing about English language not being "hard" enough or as well regarded is a bit of a myth. At A2 I study geography, English lit and English Language and I received offers from Durham, Sheffield, Newcastle and Aberdeen university. If you get an A/A* in language at the end, it will be as respected as an A* in any subject (but of course that may depend on where and what you're applying for, but mostly yes). With the four subjects as well you always have the option to drop one at the end of Year 12.

Ultimately, do what you enjoy. My sister wants to study psychology, biology, art and geography which is also pretty random but she enjoys them! Sixth form will be so much more difficult if you pick subjects you hate just because the combination is "better"! Sorry if any of this was a bit difficult to understand :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much Hannah! Do you enjoy English Language as I have heard some people say it is a bit boring?
Hi! I am in Year 11 and have recently had to submit a form with my A level options. I am still not really sure what I want to do in the future. For a long time I thought I wanted to be a primary school teacher but now I am thinking about going down the medical root. I am a very indecisive person so I knew I needed to keep my options open! I am predicted all A's and A*'s for my GCSEs and wrote down for my A levels: Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and English Language. I would REALLY appreciate any advice from anyone on whether these are a suitable mix of subjects or it if they are too random! Also any advice on what careers would suit these subjects would be really helpful! Thank you so much!
P.S I have realised now that I spelt 'to' incorrectly but it's past midnight and I am kind of falling asleep . Anyway it won't let me edit the title so I will have to leave it like that. Sorry if I offend any English students 😂

Ha I was expecting a wider mix than that. Why do you think people wouldn't like that? Do you think people would prefer someone one-dimensional who only does arts subjects? If you enjoy the subjects you're doing then nothing else matters at all.

I did A-level maths, further maths, physics, and history, and my history teacher kept saying how weird my choice of subjects was. But to me my choice was 100% logical, because I enjoyed every single subject.

And later on my experience in effective essay writing helped me get loads of awesome and cool experiences that most people will never have. A combination of great skills is so rare these days, and people may mock but deep down they're jealous of your range, so be proud of doing the subjects you enjoy.
Original post by Don John
Ha I was expecting a wider mix than that. Why do you think people wouldn't like that? Do you think people would prefer someone one-dimensional who only does arts subjects? If you enjoy the subjects you're doing then nothing else matters at all.

I did A-level maths, further maths, physics, and history, and my history teacher kept saying how weird my choice of subjects was. But to me my choice was 100% logical, because I enjoyed every single subject.

And later on my experience in effective essay writing helped me get loads of awesome and cool experiences that most people will never have. A combination of great skills is so rare these days, and people may mock but deep down they're jealous of your range, so be proud of doing the subjects you enjoy.

Haha! Thank you! Yes, a lot of people in my school just expect bio,Chem,maths and another subject. Or history, English, politics etc!
Thank you so much Hannah! Do you enjoy English Language as I have heard some people say it is a bit boring?

No problem! And I love English, I mean it obviously depends on what exam board you use but it's allowed me to do creative writing, journalistic stuff, as well as this huge language investigation where you basically you do a university style project and find your own sources, analysis etc. For me it has been one of my favourite subjects and I would definitely recommend it ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a unique set of options to my sixth-form(no-one else has choose this combination) History, Computing and Economics. I really don't think it matters and I have applied for a computer science course at uni. Although, you should check any possible uni courses you want to do at see if they specify any certain grades(e.g A in maths).
Otherwise, take the subjects you're most interested in and willing to learn about as that tends to correlate with higher grades :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest